Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 924 Superthread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

About the price of a new Momo plus boss!

Kinda a lot for a second hand wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Might be a bit much having an airbag equipped wheel in an '83 924!

Good looking wheel, nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Porsche 924 Up-Date.. At last, it is going. After trying everything that you & I could think of, the mechanic used the distributor from my 1978, 924. He put new point, rotor arm, & distributor cap, and off it went, there is no electronic ignition now, but it driving as good as ever. I would like to thank you all for the help, and advice that you have given me.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

In the event any of you need any parts for your 924,i might be able to help,
    i have a lot of used parts,that i doubt i will ever use,so if you need a part i might just have it.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Since the rack is coming out I will get my mechanic to look at the cable that controls the heat coming into the cabin. See if its damaged
    Interested to hear how that turns out! Now it's gotten a bit milder again I'm reminded that constant heat isn't a long term option. :)

Perfectionists look away now...

Tried Autosol on my alloys without any real results, so purchased a can of silver alloy paint and let rip. Don't know how long the shine will last, but for a tenner you can't go wrong with the results! (Probably should have removed the wheel but time is in short supply these days)

7vA3Kf.jpg7zFtQf.jpg

Any recommendations on best oil type for an '83 NA? :)

Brand/grade etc.

I got some stuff that is supposed to be for classics that came in a metal tin. Looks the part anyways :pac:
    Halfords green tin here I come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭mossy50

try RETRO RIDES forum in the uk
    loads of 924s being broken up for spare parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I got some stuff that is supposed to be for classics that came in a metal tin. Looks the part anyways :pac:
    Personally, I would never use it. It is just not suitable for a car's engine and there are far superior products at a lower price.

For a 924 I would get the 5W40 Halfords synthetic oil (if you are in Halfords). Otherwise, any other 5W40 or 0W40 oil for petrol engines.

• Advertisement

Finally got my birthday present last week and fitted it. :)

It's smaller than the stock wheel so took a little getting used to, but I'm really liking it. Yeah, unusual looking in a 924 but common in many other Porsches.

Still have to fit a retaining ring to keep the horn button (my favourite bit) in place.

6zqSQ3.jpg

The 924 has been sounding wonderful the last month or two... a lovely throaty rumble - much more manly than before.

Of course I knew that meant something was up. Finally crawled under to check how bad things were and found this:

6Gvk9b.jpg

Could be worse, I guess. Not knowing much about exhausts, I'm thinking a small section of that pipe could be cut out and replaced? A patch is probably not a long term solution and the NCT man might not like it come July.

Will miss the sound, though. Anyway of keeping the rumble without the rusty hole? :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Just patch it up with repair bandage the day before the test. As long as it's secure and not leaky at the time of the test it should pass. :pac:

macplaxton wrote: »
    Just patch it up with repair bandage the day before the test. As long as it's secure and not leaky at the time of the test it should pass. :pac:
    Think I'd rather fix it in a more permanent fashion!
    I`m going to splash out and get a proper exhaust for my 924 in the summer. Nothing boy racer just a nice stainless steel exhuast.
    That would be nice. I don't have the funds for that.

I'm wondering if there's such a thing as a length of pipe that has a sliding hatch or something you can open to keep the rumble. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Dades wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there's such a thing as a length of pipe that has a sliding hatch or something you can open to keep the rumble. :D

Yes, a cut out valve..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-ELECTRONIC-EXHAUST-CUT-OUT-VALVE-SWITCH-Y-PIPE-/170628327045

That's what I'm talking about! Was thinking more long the lines of something that could be pieced together from in Woodies DIY, however. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭ben9195

mattroche wrote: »
    Porsche 924 Up Date. The garage have by-passed the immobiliser, there is petrol coming to the injectors, there is spark at the distributor, but very poor & intermittent spark at the plug when they crank the engine. It would seem to be something small, but they cannot put their finger on it. It has had new Dist, Cap & Rotor arm, fuel pump relay, new plugs & leads, going to try a new coil, to see if that makes any difference! Any other suggestions? Thank you all for your contributions so far.

Sounds like a coil problem to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

NCT have no problem with patched exhausts as long as its not leaking and is secure. Mine went in a similar place on my 3 series and I ended up covering it with a small section of half pipe which i shoved up over the hole and then spotted with weld in a couple of places. Bit of fiberglass to finish. It has never failed the test cos of it and it's going on for 6/7 years now since I did it, Id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Just reading through here after not having been on for ages - you guys with the permanently hot heaters - it's likely to be the plastic heater valve internals - happened to my 944. Looks like it moves fine when you watch the cable move the arm - but the disc inside becomes disconnected from the arm - allowing hot water through to the heater matrix.

I had a spare from another 944 which I fitted and it sorted the issue but I was browsing Car Builder solutions catalog recently and noticed a valve which looks the exact same here http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/cable-operated-15mm-58-glass-reinforced-nylon-heater-valve

Not sure how much the Porsche one is.

gn3dr wrote: »
    Just reading through here after not having been on for ages - you guys with the permanently hot heaters - it's likely to be the plastic heater valve internals - happened to my 944. Looks like it moves fine when you watch the cable move the arm - but the disc inside becomes disconnected from the arm - allowing hot water through to the heater matrix.
    Thanks for that, gn3dr. I've have no time to work on my heater and it's becoming an issue! My cable is stuck though so I've more to do than replace the valve (which I think is knackered anyway). :o

To add to my heater woes, my windows have eventually stopped working! I have cleaned the switches a few times which used to solve the problem, but now nothing works. I changed a blown fuse on the relay and managed to get the the passenger window down three inches, and up two - leaving me with an open window.

I'm going to test the window motor directly from the battery which I've done before, and if all is well there might have to invest in new switches (again).

Anyone have any used but working 924/944 switches?
    Once I get it back I`ll be good to go! Think I`ll get a set of new tyres and maybe a custom exhaust. I may also remove the rear seat belts as they are a massive eye sore. Roll on summer driving!
    When do you expect it back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Sent my 924 off to my mechanic for the following items:

1) Fit new steering rack
    2) Fix leaky fuel pump
    3) Have starter motor fixed up
    4) Fixed heater

Once I get it back I`ll be good to go! Think I`ll get a set of new tyres and maybe a custom exhaust. I may also remove the rear seat belts as they are a massive eye sore. Roll on summer driving!

Having driven it for the first time in ages I forgot how nice the 924 gear shift action is. Much nicer than my daily driver.
    I'd be interested in the rear seat belts if they are the non inertia type and are black?

*Awaiting a full report with pics* :)

PITA about the HCV - but at least you got the end result! Once I've had another chance to muck around with my own cable/valve I might pick your brains as to what the hell is going on under there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,672 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry for off / topic but thanks to this thread I now know that the cable adjustment in my MGF is fine (played with it), but my HCV is shot (stuck open). Second hand part is cheap (about £10-15 plus shipping) but I'm going to wait until the coolant has to be changed anyway. Won't do this myself as you have to bleed the system properly which is a tricky and critical job (it's K-series engine :D)

After a good drive over the weekend the heater issue is confirmed fixed. Was not being baked alive! Engine isn't running 100% though, its backfiring and sloppy at idle.
    sounds like the valve timing is out,or possibly one of the air ducts is leaking !!

Wouldn't know where to start with the timing. I thought I heard a vacuum leak the last day will have another look tomorrow. Any common areas to check?
    any part of the air intake pipes could be drawing air which would make the engine run rough,get a spray bottle and put some washing up liquid and water in it,start the engine then spray it on the air intake joins and if it's leaking it should bubble up.
    incidently it could also be weak injector seals so spray round those too,it's a matter of elimination to find the cause

• Registered Users Posts: 28 munuus

Wouldn't know where to start with the timing. I thought I heard a vacuum leak the last day will have another look tomorrow. Any common areas to check?

try to search youtube: How To Find A Vacuum Leak - EricTheCarGuy

it is super simple specially when engine is running.

:) I'm battling with not able to start my recently bought 924, it starts on the 3th key position and even runs but as soon as I switch to 2th it dies.

I tried a few things, it seems it has power on coil, spark is great.
    Compression as new, engine has only 85k.
    Fuel pump doesn't turn on on 2 position only on 3th but I read that this is normal on 924 for safety. it needs at least 300revs to keep voltage on pump. (in case of crash)
    So I guess next step is going to be to try to find the sensor... etc :) weekend fun

munuus wrote: »
    try to search youtube: How To Find A Vacuum Leak - EricTheCarGuy

it is super simple specially when engine is running.

:) I'm battling with not able to start my recently bought 924, it starts on the 3th key position and even runs but as soon as I switch to 2th it dies.

I tried a few things, it seems it has power on coil, spark is great.
    Compression as new, engine has only 85k.
    Fuel pump doesn't turn on on 2 position only on 3th but I read that this is normal on 924 for safety. it needs at least 300revs to keep voltage on pump. (in case of crash)
    So I guess next step is going to be to try to find the sensor... etc :) weekend fun
    sounds like the ignition switch is broke or the plug at the back is loose its not the relay as it wouldn't start at all.

thx mate, I did test the fuel pump relay, and it work fine, clicks and also resistance is 0 after it connects. Also tried to bypass relay with cable so the pump would run all the time but no change.

Is there a way to test the ignition switch? :) and the plug at the back? u mean fuse box or the switch itself.

Thx for all the info. I did test the spark in 3th when cranking,and voltage on coil and distributor in 2th so I guessed the fault is not on ignition part :)

• Advertisement

just checked it now, will take it apart tomorrow and maybe try to bypass it with power probe.

Thx for the tip

Advertisement