Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 924 Superthread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've frequently found relays a pain to get out. This one is on a particularly awkward position with only a small bit of smooth surface to grasp while lying on your back in the passenger footwell!

I was also under time pressure and probably could have got the bastard out if I really tried. :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dades wrote: »
    I've frequently found relays a pain to get out.
    +1. On one of my previous cars I suspected a similar relay at fault, so tried to get it out. Pulling and wheezing with forehead veinage to the fore and infarction a real possibility. No joy, then with one final yank, off it came. Well it hadn't, the cover had, leaving the nekkid relay still sitting there grinning at me. I finally levered it out and fair fecked it up in the process. Then stuck in a new relay. Car fired up. Problem solved. For "fun" and because I'm mad; I looked at the old relay, cleaned it up a bit, glued the cover back on, swapped it back in and the car started and never troubled me again and never troubled the next owner either. The new relay went with the car just in case. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭micko38

Hi Anyone know where I would locate a clutch cable for 924 Regards M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

micko38 wrote: »
    Hi Anyone know where I would locate a clutch cable for 924 Regards M

5 plus postage

Noticed a bit of overheating this morning, so was having a quick look under the hood.

Couple of questions...
    • What is that open-ended tube coming out from under the cap? Should that be connected to something or it just a release?
    • That thick ridged, plastic hose - is that part of the cooling system? Mine had come loose and is falling apart.

Would anyone have a spare for purchase - or a part number to order a new one?

Thanks!

z7RsAjd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

This post has been deleted.

Three on Donedeal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Re: the picture above.

That cut off hose is an overflow from your expansion tank, better to have it extended down to the ground or it could mess up everywhere.

The other one looks like some sort of heat duct?

hi5 wrote: »
    That cut off hose is an overflow from your expansion tank, better to have it extended down to the ground or it could mess up everywhere.
    Yeah, it was pointed down. I was just having a look at it.
    hi5 wrote: »
    The other one looks like some sort of heat duct?
    It's more duct tape than heat duct right now!

Yeah, it was pointed down. I was just having a look at it.

It's more duct tape than heat duct right now!

That's a cold air flow for the alternator
    Standard air hose will fit well. I think it's 2" diameter.
    Cooling hose of a beetle is perfect

http://www.vwspares.ie/cardboard-air-hose-50mm

• Advertisement

Thanks deckie.

Any idea if this having come loose might be a cause of the car temp going into the red? Probably wishful thinking. Have duct taped it up and will go for a spin later to see myself.

I wouldn't think so

Did you check if your radiator fan is working?
    You can test this. and don't comeback to me if you break something. :)
    There is a switch for the fan plugged into the rad. on the right I think. take the wires of this and touch them together this should start the fan. ( assuming ignition is on ) you may be able to cross the wires with a screwdriver or similar

I guess if I get out and look in I should hear the fan going anyway if the gauge has hit the red?

Will investigate and might try your idea, too.

€6.85? At least that purchase won't have to come out of the "black ops" budget I keep from the wife. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I guess if I get out and look in I should hear the fan going anyway if the gauge has hit the red?

Will investigate and might try your idea, too.

Did your car go into the red in traffic or driving on the open road. If it only heats up in traffic but stays cool on the open road, then likely to be the fan not coming on. If it gets near the red again check if the fan is on. If not then as said above short the two wires going to the temp switch on the rad, if the fan starts, then it's the switch on the rad at fault. Mine went on my 944 2 years ago. Got a replacement cheap enough from Design911.

The other possibility of course is the temp gauge sender is faulty. Also not unheard of.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Ordered!
    gn3dr wrote: »
    Did your car go into the red in traffic or driving on the open road. If it only heats up in traffic but stays cool on the open road, then likely to be the fan not coming on. If it gets near the red again check if the fan is on. If not then as said above short the two wires going to the temp switch on the rad, if the fan starts, then it's the switch on the rad at fault. Mine went on my 944 2 years ago. Got a replacement cheap enough from Design911.

The other possibility of course is the temp gauge sender is faulty. Also not unheard of.
    Went red in traffic, and then dropped to normal when on the move. You're right - sounds like the fan. Haven't had a chance yet to get her hot (!) but will try tomorrow.

If it gets near the red again check if the fan is on. If not then as said above short the two wires going to the temp switch on the rad, if the fan starts, then it's the switch on the rad at fault. Mine went on my 944 2 years ago. Got a replacement cheap enough from Design911.
    deckie27 wrote: »
    Did you check if your radiator fan is working?
    You can test this. and don't comeback to me if you break something. :)
    There is a switch for the fan plugged into the rad. on the right I think. take the wires of this and touch them together this should start the fan. ( assuming ignition is on ) you may be able to cross the wires with a screwdriver or similar
    Okay, so I checked and the fan runs when I short the two wires on the temp switch. That's good at least.

Do we think it might be the switch? Anyone got a part number or any way of confirming this is what I need? :)

Many thanks!

EDIT: Have ordered one of these. Could be a quick fix for a tenner.

LAST EDIT: Changed the temperature switch and fixed my issue :) Most difficult part was finding a spanner big enough to get around the old part to remove it - had to borrow one from my long-time mechanic!

Fan now comes on when engine temp goes up. No more overheating - yay.

Got sent this as a replacement for my DME relay from Air Cooled Parts. Guy assured me it would work, despite my misgivings that I suspected it only might work with later cars, 944, 993 etc. (here) Said he was a 924 owner previously.

Turns out I was right. Pins slightly different position. It fits, but nothing but cranking after. Pop my old dodgy back in- no problems.

I'm livid because I really need a new one by Monday. Some lad on Adverts is supposed to be sorting me out though.

EDIT: Just off the phone there. Not really willing to accept that the relay isn't correct. Still claiming there's only one type of relay used in all 924s/944s etc - despite the fact that I told him the one I'm trying to get a spare for has pins in different positions!! Sending it back anyway... we're see.

XuykEFC.jpg

^

His own site says its compatible only with the 2.5 924. How stuck are you? I wont need my 924 over the weekend as I am racing. You only live up the road from me I think,you can take a loan of my relay.
    That's a kind offer, thanks.

However, I should be sorted by Monday evening which is when I really need the spare. Was chatting to the lad on Adverts this morning and he's going to test a few he has today.

Was driving the car all morning no problems with the old (cleaned up) relay. I just don't want to be stranded driving to Norn Iron at 2am next week!

Also - congrats on finally getting some love from your 924. What did the mechanic do to get a few more horses out of her? I look forward to seeing it about.

I was getting to the end of my wick with her to be honest. Have had it a year or so but barely drove it. Now I think next week I'll go for a nice long drive.
    Good for you. We need to meet, park and talk shop for a bit some day!

Also, I got sorted with a relay from a really nice lad on Adverts. He has a bunch of parts from cars he's using to keep some drivers runnng so this is his ad if anyone needs anything. Met up today to check the relay and have a natter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Good for you. We need to meet, park and talk shop for a bit some day!

Also, I got sorted with a relay from a really nice lad on Adverts. He has a bunch of parts from cars he's using to keep some drivers runnng so this is his ad if anyone needs anything. Met up today to check the relay and have a natter.
    You should read up on how to bypass the relay to get you home if you ever get stuck. A small jumper of 3 wires will do the job.

You should read up on how to bypass the relay to get you home if you ever get stuck. A small jumper of 3 wires will do the job.
    I did look into that... hoping a spare will suffice.

Especially since I now have a suspicion that my issue wasn't the relay at all and was a loose spade connector in the engine bay stuck to firewall.

*Note to self: when troubleshooting - try one fix at a time.*

manage-anger-calm-down-800x800.jpg

I feel your pain. Two of my neighbours both did in the same front wing within 6 months.

Thinking of also treating the rubber strips and spoiler with some of that rubber restorer/paint stuff.
    I used some off-the-shelf stuff on the rubber and it didn't make any lasting difference. Have since used black shoe polish on the spoiler to better effect!

Black tyre paint (an actual tin of paint rather than the spray stuff) also makes a huge visual difference.

FINALLY passed my NCT yesterday. It's been a bit of slog finding bits, sorting fiddly issues, stern conversations with the Gardai, and so on.

Had to fix a sticky window and a rear bulb in the car park straight after the main test, but managed to pass a second (visual) inspection and get out of there with my disc. For once I had a decent sort - a sympathetic tester who ran one or two tests twice to get me through.

Delighted and relived in equal measure. Also, didn't realise how good my new exhaust sounds until I watched a tester drive the car off. :)

What did the Gardai say to you?
    I got pulled over and given a serious verbal spanking for not having my NCT.

Have any luck with the water?

You sound pretty sorted if these are your problems now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Just spotted this on dd, anybody know the car?

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/14382939

Seems good value with 12 months tax and according to the NCT site it has test till April.

Well it turned out to be nothing. Because the car is parked on an incline the drained water can escape from the areas under the bonnet where the battery and other side. Parked it the other way around and bingo no issue :)
    Believe it or not I was actually going to suggest it might just be gathered water because of the incline.
    JKerova1 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/14382939

Seems good value with 12 months tax and according to the NCT site it has test till April.
    I'm not sure I'd drive that even for less than a grand with that paint scheme. How reliable is that NCT site? I'd request to see the last cert and any advisories even if it was valid.

Could be a doer-upper but there might turn out to be a lot to do up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Believe it or not I was actually going to suggest it might just be gathered water because of the incline.

I'm not sure I'd drive that even for less than a grand with that paint scheme. How reliable is that NCT site? I'd request to see the last cert and any advisories even if it was valid.

Could be a doer-upper but there might turn out to be a lot to do up!

Yeah just looking again and it doesn't actually say on the site if it has a cert but it just gives a renewal date. Just noticed that 924 appears to have what looks like BMW Z3 seats.

Advertisement