Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 924 Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,673 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its also the auto which apparently is beyond slow.

For the craic, I just looked that up. It's a 3-speed auto sourced from Audi. 0-100km/h in 11.4s (normal manual is 9.6s)

So while significantly slower than the standard car, it's not that slow. And the standard car is not that fast, it's slower than a Golf GTI Mk 1 from the 70s...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Yeah just looking again and it doesn't actually say on the site if it has a cert but it just gives a renewal date.
    If the seller isn't mentioning a current NCT, in my book there ain't one! And since it needs one to even get insured these days, it seems, caveat emptor!
    unkel wrote: »
    And the standard car is not that fast, it's slower than a Golf GTI Mk 1 from the 70s...
    Yes, but it feels fast. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭JKerova1

What would one expect to pay for a pre-1988 924 in reasonable condition?

Dades wrote: »
    Yes, but it feels fast. :P

Oh, I know exactly what you mean! I owned an MGF for 2 years and I never drove it faster than 125km/h. And let's just say it's not in my nature to drive slowly on empty motorways :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

In terms of reliability as a daily driver, which is best 924 v 944?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

MrRolex wrote: »
    In terms of reliability as a daily driver, which is best 924 v 944?
    924 is simpler and a lot, lot cheaper to maintain or repair. Sills do not rust as they do in the 944. Reliability wise it depends more on the actual example than the model, i.e. they are similar in general.

Seweryn wrote: »
    924 is simpler and a lot, lot cheaper to maintain or repair. Sills do not rust as they do in the 944. Reliability wise it depends more on the actual example than the model, i.e. they are similar in general.

Thanks for the comparison, interesting that the 944 sills rust more.
    To be honest I prefer the shape of the 944, but I have heard the running costs of the 924 are cheaper.
    Is it true that it was VW designed but they went with the Scirocco in the end?

The 924 is a Volkswagen and Porsche design. It uses a VW / Audi Engine and Transaxle, Beetle type rear suspension, and a lot of bits from the VW group cars of that era.

The 944 (and a 924S also) has a very different engine. It is actually a Porsche design, a good bit smoother, more powerful, and a lot more expensive to maintain.

The 924 is a Volkswagen and Porsche design. It uses a VW / Audi Engine and Transaxle, Beetle type rear suspension, and a lot of bits from the VW group cars of that era.

The 944 (and a 924S also) has a very different engine. It is actually a Porsche design, a good bit smoother, more powerful, and a lot more expensive to maintain.

Yes this is more or less what I have heard.
    I know some Porsche purists don't consider the 924 to be a real Porsche, but as far as I am concerned they have the badge on the bonnet so are.
    I think the expensive maintenance costs of the 944 would make me favour the 924.
    Are they more difficult to work on than say a BMW E30 or MK2 Golf for example?
    Seems to be reasonable room around the engine bay.

It is good that the so called purists do not consider the 924 to be a Porsche. It keeps the prices down and for the rest of us it is one of the best classic cars for small money.

The 924 is one of the easiest cars to work on and parts are cheap. The 2nd Generation Golf is in bits a very similar car, even the fuel injection system is almost identical in the early Golf model. The E30 would be not far off in terms of maintenance works.

• Advertisement

It is good that the so called purists do not consider the 924 to be a Porsche. It keeps the prices down and for the rest of us it is one of the best classic cars for small money.

The 924 is one of the easiest cars to work on and parts are cheap. The 2nd Generation Golf is in bits a very similar car, even the fuel injection system is almost identical in the early Golf model. The E30 would be not far off in terms of maintenance works.

Good point I had not considered. Yes, it makes sense the parts prices would be cheaper if the car is deemed less desirable than a 944 or 928 etc.
    I have owned E30's and MK2 Golf's, and was looking for another one; but now I am considering the 924. I do like the classic 80's styling.
    Which engine would you say is the most reliable?

It uses a VW / Audi Engine
    Wasn't the head wholly Porsche designed? A small comfort but it's good to see it bear the Porsche stamp when you look in.

For those who scoff at it being a VW I point them in the direction of the Volkswagon Veyron!

MrRolex if you're looking to do some home maintenance the 924 offers a better chance at keeping on top of things. I'd also consider them two quite different cars in terms of style and performance, as well as price. You'll get a well sorted 924 for the price of a ratty 944.

A turbo will be quicker (though not very quick) but will be higher maintenance. The standard NA version will not beat anything off the lights but will be great fun on A or B roads. That said, if you're looking at a lot of motorway driving, the 944 will offer more comfort and less road noise.

Dades wrote: »
    Wasn't the head wholly Porsche designed? A small comfort but it's good to see it bear the Porsche stamp when you look in.

For those who scoff at it being a VW I point them in the direction of the Volkswagon Veyron!

MrRolex if you're looking to do some home maintenance the 924 offers a better chance at keeping on top of things. I'd also consider them two quite different cars in terms of style and performance, as well as price. You'll get a well sorted 924 for the price of a ratty 944.

A turbo will be quicker (though not very quick) but will be higher maintenance. The standard NA version will not beat anything off the lights but will be great fun on A or B roads. That said, if you're looking at a lot of motorway driving, the 944 will offer more comfort and less road noise.

Thanks for the advice.
    I am now leaning towards a 924 over a 944. I would prefer the cheaper running costs really; and being able to service it myself.
    I have a Polo as my daily, so would really just be looking for a weekend car for some fun.
    Would you say the non-turbo engines are more reliable then?
    Or just less complicated to fix?

I would forget about the Turbo model, not because is less reliable (more complicated, otherwise very same), but because it is rare and a lot more expensive to buy, so it falls into a very different price bracket than the standard 924.

Yes, I noted the price difference on Ebay and Dondeal. I would be happy enough with a non-turbo engine. I just fancy something fun for the weekends, and a change from my 1.0 litre Polo daily sensible car.
    Are the later 125bhp models good to drive? Or do they feel slow by modern 2.0 litre standards?

MrRolex wrote: »
    Are the later 125bhp models good to drive? Or do they feel slow by modern 2.0 litre standards?

They are good to drive, just enough power for the lightweight body. However I can't comment how it compares to "modern standards" as I never had a chance to drive anything very modern with 2 litre petrol engine. But I guess the 924 would not be any slower due to a good power to weight ratio. A modern vehicle would need 150 hp or more to be equally slow.

I'd also add that they drive like a 30 yr old sports car. Gearshift is smooth enough, although it take a few minutes to warm up. No power steering is noticeable when parking or in heavy traffic, but to be enjoyed when out on the open road on a sweeping bend.

You are very close to the road, which makes it feel fast, even though it isn't really. Expect a number of horses to have escaped over the years!

I've had one for over 7 years and I (proper) enjoy driving it every day. I have a 2010 familywagon, too, but frequently cart three kids around in the 924 as both them and me prefer the experience.

Yeah, the transmission needs to warm up to work nicely. To improve the gear changes, especially from cold, I would change the transaxle oil with a synthetic oil (75W90 GL-4). I did that in my other transaxle type car and improved functionality of the gearbox a lot. Still a minor inconvenience.

Say what you will about the 924 but the shift action is so so nice. In fact there is few cars I have driven that is better than it. My BEAT is quite nice as its a tiny throw but the 924 has a nice meaty action to it. Also turns out the timing belt cover in my 924 is perfect it was my last one that was rusty :)
    Well, I have never said the gear shift action in the 924 is not great. It is very, very nice indeed. There are very few cars with nicer gear changes of that era. The 2nd Gen Honda Prelude in my opinion does that better (it has a rod connecting the gear lever with the gearbox rather than cables, same as the Porsche) and the action is very precise and... sweet. You just want changing gears all the time :).

Great stuff. I love improving my classics. Every detail matters and it makes driving it more of a pleasure.

... Also thinking of doing the rear hatch seal. At full beans when driven really hard there is some exhaust smell.
    Hmm... That is a tricky one to get sorted. Get a good hatch seal, make also sure the rear hatch lock seal is perfect. Also, the rear lights should be sealed against the rear panel (some silicone may help). Another tip - check the gear lever gaiter. There should be some sort of sponge that seals it around, make sure it is in tact. Other than that, just don't open the windows or the sunroof while driving if you don't have to :).

• Advertisement

Is that the hook for a sun visor? I don't even know if I have one!

Very neat job!

And look at you all posh with no duct tape in your engine bay. :P

The trip meter is a bit of a giveaway... ;)

Also good to finally meet Dades by accident on Saturday! Your car looked very nice although it needs a good wash like mine :pac:
    Rectified that this evening! Spit and polish and a bit of a touch up on the alloys while I was at it.

Nice to finally put a face to a name, too. Looking forward to a 924 adventure some day. :)

In other news, my drivers window has been stuck (up, thankfully) for a while now. Previously I've been able to get it shifting by either cleaning/swapping the switches or lubing up the mechanism. No longer it seems.

When I try to power the window, all that happens is a faint click from the vicinity of the motor.

I really don't fancy changing the motor... but is that task inevitably in my future? :pac:

Happened on my 928. Got intermittent first, then stopped altogether. Found a motor really cheap in a USA Porsche only dismantlers. As in €70 incl shipping. Versus GBP175 from Traynors and €400 from Porsche. Can't find a link to where I bought it, you'll need to google it / find it yourself.

Thanks, I have a couple of contacts for parts. I'm going to give one more try to getting it moving though before I commit to changing it.

Just wondering what is the regulator? Is that the X mechanism that pushes the window up/down?

I can't remember but is there a relay involved with the windows? Thats what could be the clicking noise.
    Almost certain the click is coming from the door (i.e. the motor area).

I don't think there's a relay in there in fact I think the window relay might be on its own near the centre console to the right of the passenger footwell. At least I always thought that what it did!

Edit: Also, the passenger window works fine.

That is the final (pre new motor) plan!

Am driving to Wexford tomorrow though so might wait till after that in case I feck something up. :pac:

• Advertisement

Had an hour this evening to try and get the window motor running.

Took off the door card (again) and hooked the battery direct up to the motor. Up, down, up, down...

WD-40'd the whole lot while whirring it up and down and put it all back together with a newly cleaned switch - all seems okay for now. Not exactly zipping up and down, but working. But for how long.... hmmm.

Advertisement