Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 924 Superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

Dades wrote: »
    Had an hour this evening to try and get the window motor running.

Took off the door card (again) and hooked the battery direct up to the motor. Up, down, up, down...

WD-40'd the whole lot while whirring it up and down and put it all back together with a newly cleaned switch - all seems okay for now. Not exactly zipping up and down, but working. But for how long.... hmmm.

Electrical problems on the 924/944 are usually caused by the earth connectors corroding, try giving the earth connectors at the back of the fuse board a good clean with steel wool,it might sort it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think the earths are okay as I have a look in there occasionally when checking fuses. I'd have thought bad earths near the fuseboard would affect both windows.

Window is still back operating - faster! - so i'm thinking of booking it in early for this year's NCT!

Hmmm. Slammed the door shut yesterday and the window stopped operating straight after.

Suggests to me a dodgy connection somewhere. When it was operating and lubed the motor was working no problem.

Off with the door card again this morning, so. :o

EDIT: Back working again after some tweaking. Stupid door.

Few things I need to address in my NCT that require experts who hopefully have subscribed to this thread!

Rear Fog Lamps
    Apparently my "Fog Lamp indicator not working correctly". Where the heck is this? Is this a circular light set high into the dashboard? My mechanic is convinced there is no such indicator. Are the rear fogs the lights turned on by one of the switches behind the gearshift? I know nothing of this!

Windscreen washers
    Does anyone with a 924 have these working well? I've already fitted a replacement motor but only a dribble comes out. We sprayed compressed air in the tubes, and the issue seems to be the lack of water being sent into the tubes. Is there some other hack or fix around the reservoir or do I need an off the shelf motor that isn't tired?

Thoughts welcome!

Thanks!

Maybe it is something as simple as my reservoir being full of goo. Sunday might even be a runner. I'll get back to you once I've checked my (children's) schedule.

You'll bring a welder, right? :pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks again, I'll PM you separate. That said - there's a fair chance my car will be in over the weekend, so we'll see.

Just searching re my own question of rear fog lamps. I'm assuming the ass NCT tester means the fog lamp indicator doesn't come when the rear fogs are on....

This thread here seems to suggest that the rear fogs don't come on unless the fronts are on. If that's the case, then the indicator would never come on unless the front fogs are on too. Meaning if the light comes on then (pretty sure it does) that all is in fact fine.

EDIT: I tested this switch tonight - there's no rear fogs. I think it switches on bumper lights. Confirm anyone?!

Got into the car this morning to find I couldn't get the headlight switch to work! The switch is stuck fast in the OFF position - it won't depress to the ON position.

Luckily it wasn't too grim this morning so I could still drive in, but I'm going to have to leave early today if I can't get the lights on before dusk. I'm out on the Long Mile Road and not willing to risk leave the 924 where my office is overnight.

I've looked into how the switch comes out - any thoughts on whether it can be fixed on the fly, or if the lights can be switched on another way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

The switch has a couple of light plastic "wedge" type springs on it
    get your hand "or fingers" in behind and it will pop out easy enough with a little giggle

The switch is probably slightly ceased.
    when out you may be able to free it. or you could try spraying a bit of contact cleaner inside to see if this will help

The switch comes apart easy enough.
    Just be careful as a spring or 2 might want to go flying and note to location of possible little copper C shaped connectors

Best of lucK :)

Scraped knuckles here we go. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

The 924 has a poor quality interior, apart from that, it's a great car.

• Advertisement

Okay, so I got the switch out. Scraped-knuckles.com

Actually, I got it out from the dash easy enough - the hard part was separating it from the wiring. One of the terminals(?) seems to have got seized so much it came out of the switch before the wiring.

Other than the back, the switch looks perfect. It just doesn't work and is stubbornly refusing to be examined. :mad:

I may have to seek a replacement, and maybe a replacement bit for it to plug into from a breaker...

EDIT:
    My and workmate got the thing open. It's ain't for fixin'. Even if the switch mechanism was working - the damaged terminal has rendered it useless.

v5uBJwb.jpg

e6xGhH3.jpg

07oT6y2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Hi

Whats the going values for 924 ?. I know where the is 1,its a project 79,needs sills etc and a good going over but its a runner, might make an offer but need ideas on what offer to make?,what are the things to watch out for when buying one ? also what are good examples worth, might be better to go down that road then a project depending on values

thanks

Hi

Whats the going values for 924 ?. I know where the is 1,its a project 79,needs sills etc and a good going over but its a runner, might make an offer but need ideas on what offer to make?,what are the things to watch out for when buying one ? also what are good examples worth, might be better to go down that road then a project depending on values

thanks
    A 1979 at least won't have the pain of an NCT, but without knowing what state the car is in it's impossible to put a value on it. At the very least you want it running and stopping well. Otherwise it's a few hundred quid project car. What kind of mileage is on it? How's the interior? Usually a good indicator of age and treatment. The dashboard will probably have cracks in it but most every 924 does.

The electrics might be a source of pain if they're not up to scratch, so I'd be asking about the windows (hopefully manual winders in a '79), wipers, lamps, etc.

I just had €500 of welding work done including sills and more, but the car is my daily driver.

That said, I'm thinking seriously about parting with her this year as it's not really feasible to maintain my commute. I have to have a car 5 days a week and daft things (like a faulty headlight switch) that wouldn't be an issue with a weekend car are now showstoppers. Would be a serious wrench for me though. :eek:

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Dont do it! I have a daily and two classics and I havent driven any of them in a week :pac:
    Unless I got a decent price for the 924 I wouldn't dream of it. But if it can part fund something (mildly interesting) I can get to work in every day then I'll have to consider it.

Keeping three cars on the road isn't ideal when I've already three kids to keep fed!

Just an update on my headlights (for anyone with future issues)...

Turns out my mechanic is right. Don't be messing about with untested second hand parts if you can pick up what you need new.

I got a hold of a second hand earlier switch which I managed to get into the dock on my loom. (I had to cut an old spade adaptor out of the dock and add in a new one).

Could only get half lamps working, but the garage next door to me in work took apart the switch and cleaned it up a bit - including some melted bits - and now with some fiddling I can get the full beams up.

I've now ordered a new one from porscheshop.co.uk which I should have done in the first place. :o

If any of the 924 owners on here need some parts, i might have what you need.

+1

You helped me out sourcing a steering rack that was in far better shape than the one that was in my 924.
    That's a few years ago now !!!

Thumbs up for a new battery! It's a new lease of life for the old electronics!

My folks gave me a Diffneys voucher for Christmas. :o

What the.... say it's not so. :(

I've decided I can't part with mine. <3

Looking good!

What did you do to them? Is that black lacquer paint?

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Summer jobs need doing!

Possible pre-emptive question here...

The 924 is running great. I've just noticed when starting that there's a bit of an extra, sharp whirring sound from the [starter motor?] after the car has come to life. Happening the last couple of weeks.

Wondering if this is a symptom of something about to blow.

Just had a quick look at starter motors - not cheap!

Do you have the airduct piping that runs from the front down to the starter motor?
    I have no idea. I didn't even know where the starter motor was until I found a youtube video 2 minutes ago. :P

What form does this piping take and I will check later!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Opening windows when driving will not help but rather make the situation worse.

Check the hatch seal (or just replace for the peace of mind) and also the round hatch lock seal.

Next thing you can do is remove the rear lights and reseal them in the body with silicone sealant. Other thing is the gear lever gaiter - check if it is reasonably sealed from underneath with the sponge fill, etc.

Also check the exhaust pipe itself for leaks ;).

Developed a nasty rattle on the way to work yesterday... wasn't firing on all cylinders I reckoned. Was close to home so got my insurance breakdown to get me trailered to the garage beside me in work. Turns out it's the head gasket. Gone between 3&4 cylinders, it seems. :(

The garage - who have been brilliant in getting lots of stuff done the last year - is quoting 700 quid (all in) to sort it out. It's run by an old timer who know his old cars (selling a 356) and tbh, I don't think I'll do better.

Upkeep has been fairly hefty this year, but only equivalent to maybe a couple of years tax and insurance on some piece of crap non-classic replacement (which might itself start needing work). That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

Need to get back on the bike Mon-Fri!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

That's a pity, but the 700 sounds very reasonable, considering the work involved. Good that you have a garage you trust. Might as well get a new timing belt/chain and water pump while it's all apart, and a coolant flush?

Good luck with the bike :)

That's a pity, but the 700 sounds very reasonable, considering the work involved. Good that you have a garage you trust. Might as well get a new timing belt/chain and water pump while it's all apart, and a coolant flush?
    Not a bad idea to get some extra stuff done. Might let them lead on that when they're in there. Not a good time of year for surprise bills. :pac:
    Good luck with the bike :)
    Will require a change in day job. On the roadmap though!

What kind of extra labour is needed to do the timing belt if the head is off?

Money and time is tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Dades wrote: »
    What kind of extra labour is needed to do the timing belt if the head is off?

Money and time is tight!

Very little or none actually because the belt will removed before the head is taken off anyway.

Then replacing the water pump if you want (cheap) will only add minutes to the task.

• Advertisement

Just dropped in to the garage beside me to check progress.
    Gasket probably won't arrive until Tuesday, but have ensured timing belt definitely getting done as well.

It's a DART and a LUAS to and from work until it gets done. :(

Advertisement