Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passed my test (Can I drive?)

Options
  • 13-01-2015 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I know this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything in relation to it.

I passed my test today. WOOHOO.
    Anyway, I have my own car, insured taxed, NCTed etc.

I'm just wondering am I able to drive now on my own while I'm waiting for my license to come?

There's no real clear information about this that I can find. Can anyone shed some light?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Congrats Ted :)

Yes you can drive.

You should have gotten a receipt for your full licence, keep this with you.

Beers to celebrate next week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Congrats Ted :)

Yes you can drive.

You should have gotten a receipt for your full licence, keep this with you.

Beers to celebrate next week :pac:

Technically speaking this is not correct. The certificate of competency is not a license. In the Learning to Drive forum, this was clarified by contacting citizeninformation.ie by email, which in turn led to a response by a high level Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

when I passed they told me to use that piece of paper in lieu of the licence

besides do you not still have your provisional licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Hi guys,

I know this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything in relation to it.

I passed my test today. WOOHOO.
    Anyway, I have my own car, insured taxed, NCTed etc.

I'm just wondering am I able to drive now on my own while I'm waiting for my license to come?

There's no real clear information about this that I can find. Can anyone shed some light?

Dont forget your N Plates. Compulsary since August

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Technically speaking this is not correct. The certificate of competency is not a license. In the Learning to Drive forum, this was clarified by contacting citizeninformation.ie by email, which in turn led to a response by a high level Garda.

Do you have a link to the topic in the Learning to drive forum where it was discussed.
    willabur wrote: »

Yes, I still have my provisional license but the rules related to that license are that I have to be accompanied.

But seeing as I passed I'm just wondering how it works now while I apply for my license. I have the certificate of competency.
    Dont forget your N Plates. Compulsary since August

They made it very clear that I had to have N Plates :P
    Thanks for the heads up!

• Advertisement

strange. Was just going on what the tax office told me when I got my licence 3 years ago. Any link to this topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

willabur wrote: »

Impossible to have a provisional license. There's no such thing as a provisional licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Not too many passed test since August if you go on the number of N plates that are on the road!
    Is it being enforced by the garda?

endacl wrote: »
    Impossible to have a provisional license. There's no such thing as a provisional licence.

"Learner Permit" then :P People are just used to calling it a provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I don't believe the Certificate is good for driving - you want to get it into the NDLS office asap, they will give you a receipt. This receipt is ok to drive with as typically you will be asked to produce your license within 7 days or so, by which time you should have your license.

In terms of the N plate - you would be crazy not to display them now. If you;re stopped thats 2 points and a fine. Insurance then flies up and if you get 4 more points during that period wave goodbye to your license. And I have heard they have random checkpoints for this, especially since the new laws passed. It;s easy money for the Government in fines :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Doesn't seem to be anything confirmed from what I've seen, but have heard the same as you post here.

Just on this from the NDLS right here though...
    At present, customers can expect to receive their licence or learner permit within five to eight working days. After your licence has been processed you will receive a NDLS receipt as proof of application for your licence /permit. You are advised to keep this in your vehicle. If a member of An Garda Síochána asks you to produce a licence and your licence application is being processed, you will have an opportunity to produce your licence at a Garda station within 10 days.

You can show your receipt stating your application for / renewal of your full-licence and if that's not sufficient at the check-point, you'll have your official from the NDLS by the required time to produce at the station.

People have enough stresses in life besides something as mundane as this imo esp considering the test has been passed.
    If stopped, the above quote is what the NDLS are recommending anyways,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 30,425 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I passed my test last week and applied for my full licence on Saturday. I had to obviously surrender the learner permit there and then along with the Certificate of Competency and the receipt that I got from the NDLS said that it cannot be used in place of either a learner permit or full licence.

So my understanding is that I am off the road until I receive the licence in the post and I am not taking any chances getting pulled over. Don't forget you are capped a 7 penalty points now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be anything confirmed from what I've seen, but have heard the same as you post here.

Just on this from the NDLS right here though...

You can show your receipt stating your application for / renewal of your full-licence and if that's not sufficient at the check-point, you'll have your official from the NDLS by the required time to produce at the station.

People have enough stresses in life besides something as mundane as this imo esp considering the test has been passed.
    If stopped, the above quote is what the NDLS are recommending anyways,
    kerry4sam

The NDLS staff have also verbally told learner permit applicants/renewals that the receipt is good enough to drive on. The RSA have emailed every ADI in the country to say that's not the case.

The NDLS staff have also verbally told learner permit applicants/renewals that the receipt is good enough to drive on. The RSA have emailed every ADI in the country to say that's not the case.

Quite silly for them to still have it on their website if this is the case.

Also, the people processing license applications at the counter will say the same thing to everyone who comes in to renew a license. Of course if you are renewing a license, you are of course covered with the receipt they give you. However, when you pass your test, you are technically still on a Learner Permit, until you have your license in your hand.

As for the thread that the response was from...I'll have a dig around. Might be easier to search my mails since I was the one who mailed/got the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Don't forget you are capped a 7 penalty points now!

That is only if you receive your first Learner Permit on or after 1st August 2014?

This is the post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56640923&postcount=53

I no longer have the mail, but I remember another mail being sent for further clarification.

This is the post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56640923&postcount=53

I no longer have the mail, but I remember another mail being sent for further clarification.

Well that clears the question up about the certificate of competency however, what about when I go into the NDLS center and apply (Doing this on the weekend as I can't go during work hours) Im assumming they'll take the learner permit in the application process for your full?

Would that not mean I could use the receipt of the application to drive considering I won't have any currently?

Would that not mean I could use the receipt of the application to drive considering I won't have any currently?

I believe there was another post that I'll have to dig up now in relation to the receipt...

But upon receiving the receipt, you have not obtained a full license, so therefore you are still a learner driver. Your application could be refused due to errors when filling out the form etc.

Might be no harm to carry a photocopy of the certificate of competency and your learners permit along with the receipt if you are stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,425 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Local_Chap wrote: »
    That is only if you receive your first Learner Permit on or after 1st August 2014?

I thought that too but the tester I had told me it applies to everyone. I got my first Learner Permit back in 2011 so I thought the restriction wouldn't apply to me but I've been told otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

A quick check of the RSA's own Twitter page will also show that they state 'you will have 10 days to produce your licence if a Garda stops you. People aren't going to put their lives on hold for two weeks while they wait for the licence to arrive.

I thought that too but the tester I had told me it applies to everyone. I got my first Learner Permit back in 2011 so I thought the restriction wouldn't apply to me but I've been told otherwise.

Previous poster was correct. Only permit holders after August 2014 are subject to the 7point limit. You already had a threshold of 12 as you were in the system. That will not change. RSA will confirm that for you Tel. 1890 40 60 40

Vologda69 wrote: »
    A quick check of the RSA's own Twitter page will also show that they state 'you will have 10 days to produce your licence if a Garda stops you. People aren't going to put their lives on hold for two weeks while they wait for the licence to arrive.

The rules are the rules however. And providing a license, dated after the date you were stopped will not be much use to you.

In all likelihood I reckon it would take a particularly stringent Garda to not accept a copy of a cert of competency and learner permit. However these combined are not a license. Simple as that. The answer to the OP's question is simply No.

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Previous poster was correct. Only permit holders after August 2014 are subject to the 7point limit. You already had a threshold of 12 as you were in the system. That will not change. RSA will confirm that for you Tel. 1890 40 60 40

Wait, I received my Learner Permit back in February 2014. Does that mean I'm in the 12 point threshold too? Not that it matters too much as I don't plan on getting any if at all possible, just nice to know!
    The rules are the rules however. And providing a license, dated after the date you were stopped will not be much use to you.

In all likelihood I reckon it would take a particularly stringent Garda to not accept a copy of a cert of competency and learner permit. However these combined are not a license. Simple as that. The answer to the OP's question is simply No.

Yeah, I think as a general agreement that the answer is No.

Thanks for the all the help guys really appreciated.
    I'll be down to the local NDLS Saturday to apply for my license and it shouldn't be too long coming anyway :)

Wooooooo

Wait, I received my Learner Permit back in February 2014. Does that mean I'm in the 12 point threshold too? Not that it matters too much as I don't plan on getting any if at all possible, just nice to know!

I'll be down to the local NDLS Saturday to apply for my license and it shouldn't be too long coming anyway :)

Wooooooo
    Well done by the way!

Yes, any permit issued before 1st August (when N plates) were introduced will retain the 12 point threshold (even if they get their full licence after this date)

Wooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

5 day turnaround from applying and receiving my licence this week. Took about two months for my provisional 8 months ago so they're getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

N-plates are such a cod, completely ruins the liberating feeling of passing the test we would have all felt years ago.

All though that said, in '97 I drove to my own driving test, gave a random man a pint in the pub nearby to say he had accompanied me, then passed and drove home again alone. Maybe a happy medium somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

I just wanted to weigh in on this one. I applied for my licence right before Christmas - so would inevitabele be waiting longer than the 10 days. I asked the girl when she gave the receipt if I could drive with the receipt, she shrugged her shoulders and said "yeah sure"

Now on the receipt it expressly says something like "this document cannot be used in lieu of a licence" in bold letters at the end of the receipt

I drove down to Kilkenny with that receipt - got stopped by a guarda checkpoint and he actually congratulated me on my test and asked how I found my first motorway experience.

I can't seem any guarda actually pulling you up on the whole receipt thing and if they did the licences do come fairly quickly anyway.

Advertisement