Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passed my test (Can I drive?)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just a follow up from NDLS:
    Dear Alan,

Thank you for your email.

You are considered to be the holder of a full licence when the full licence has been issued to you.

We do not advise customers to drive until they have received their licence as it is a legal obligation to have your driving licence on your person at all times while driving.

If you have any queries in relation to this communication, please contact our Customer Services Team on +353 (0) 761 087 880 and quote your case reference number, or visit the National Driver Licence Service website www.ndls.ie

Yours sincerely

Customer Services Team
    National Driver Licence Service

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Just a follow up from NDLS:

I find it funny on this because the girl in the NDLS centre told me the opposite. She said keep this receipt with you and use this until your license arrives. I only applied last Saturday.

I don't think anyone will be clear about this in a proper answer to be honest because they aren't clear themselves.

It's a bit silly though how they don't consider you a fully qualified driver until you get your license and expect you to sit idle while you wait for it?

People have things to do (Others still want to practice their driving) if you're not getting a bit of driving in now and again it's easy to get rusty. (That's not saying for everyone.

The way I look at it is this:

Can we drive straight after we pass?

RSA: No.

NDLS: Yes and No.

Gardai: Yes (Unless you get a real ****. They seem to be ok about it)
    I haven't heard of anyone so far that has got sanction for this.
    I heard of one case that apparently went to court but the judge threw it out because it was just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I find it funny on this because the girl in the NDLS centre told me the opposite. She said keep this receipt with you and use this until your license arrives. I only applied last Saturday.
    RSA: No.

NDLS: Yes and No.

Gardai: Yes (Unless you get a real ****. They seem to be ok about it)

I can tell you why this happens, and it's because of people renewing full licenses. If you have a full license that is due to expire, and you apply for a renewal and send off your full license you are told you can still drive using your receipt in lieu of a license. This probably isn't strictly legal either.

But that is where the confusion lies. I doubt the teller at the desk is given a full run down of licensing ins and outs in terms of details like this thread has discussed.

NDLS took quite some time to reply, and I sent a follow up email for clarity. It is pretty straight cut with that mail to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

Slightly different scenario...

Learner Permit Renewals...

I applied today for renewal from 2nd to 3rd Learner Permit, with proof of an test applied for (And quite soon, good job test centres)
    I've tried to be clever and applied relatively well in advance. It wouldn't have lasted till my Test date, but sure I could have left it until the last minute.

4 Weeks 3 days till my test date.
    There was 3 weeks left on my Learner Permit.

I'm assuming I'll need to cancel my lessons and any hopes of practice until further notice? Thankfully i hear they only take 5 days at the moment.

I do have a Permit, it's valid... I'll just never get it back so will never be able to present it to a Garda if requested.
    Still, assuming I can't legally drive now?

I'm also thinking, in the grand scheme of things, using every day on my permit, applying for a renewal and driving between the End Date and arrival of the renewed would leave me very illegal.

Advertisement