Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Fence Help

• 13-01-2015 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭

Our back garden has wooden fence with wooden fence posts. One of the posts has fallen down due to rot. This has happen in the past and i was able to dig up the remaining post in the ground as well as the concrete base and replace the post.

The problem with the recent post is that it is place between our patio and our neighbors patio. I have managed to remove about a foot of the post but i would say a 1/2 foot remains in the ground.

I was going to replace the wooden post with a concrete H post but am i right in saying that a foot would not be deep enough for it to hold up? I have tried to kango hammer out the remainder of the post but no joy. Would a wooden post hold in a foot deep? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Currently i can not afford to build a wall.

I will try post a few pictures later on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

How high is the fence?

How far away is the next post?

Is the fence exposed to wind?

Is there anything else placing a load on the fence?

How firm is the grouond?

No simple answer here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

[quote="The_Shotz;93818081"

The problem with the recent post is that it is place between our patio and our neighbors patio.[/quote]

have done this in the past. You need to lift a slab or two on each side to get down and around the old concrete. Put post in and relay slabs, they might need a bit of cutting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

homer911 wrote: »
    How high is the fence?

How far away is the next post?

Is the fence exposed to wind?

Is there anything else placing a load on the fence?

How firm is the grouond?

No simple answer here...

Height of fence would be 5-6 foot

Distance to next post is 5 foot

It can be exposed to wind at times.

No extra load on the fence

Ground is solid

Foot deep hole - the area between the two small patios is all cement bar an inch of so on the top
    DSC_0979.jpg

Fence DSC_0978.jpg

Fence againDSC_0977.jpg

rje66 wrote: »
    have done this in the past. You need to lift a slab or two on each side to get down and around the old concrete. Put post in and relay slabs, they might need a bit of cutting.

Thanks rje, the problem it's the space between the small patios, it seems the builder has just filled the whole area with cement, which I assume would mean that I would have to dig up the majority of that area which I don't fancy doing but if it's the only way I'll just have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Shouldn't be necessary (and would not recommend interfering with either patio), plenty of room to excavate new hole in existing concrete, and easily done with the appropriate kango/breaker.

A much easier but equally effective solution would be to attach 2 steel flat bar braces ( one to each side of the damaged post) and ensure it extends at least 300mm in the ground and set braces in existing concrete ( you can excavate a hollow out for braces) and reset some new concrete as necessary. An alternative to the braces would be to use 20mm rebar.

You can also attach a proprietary galvanised post anchor to base of post and set anchor in existing concrete foundation ( you will require a rapid hardening chemical concrete fixing), again this is also an easy and straightforward solution.

• Advertisement

Shouldn't be necessary (and would not recommend interfering with either patio), plenty of room to excavate new hole in existing concrete, and easily done with the appropriate kango/breaker.

A much easier but equally effective solution would be to attach 2 steel flat bar braces ( one to each side of the damaged post) and ensure it extends at least 300mm in the ground and set braces in existing concrete ( you can excavate a hollow out for braces) and reset some new concrete as necessary. An alternative to the braces would be to use 20mm rebar.

You can also attach a proprietary galvanised post anchor to base of post and set anchor in existing concrete foundation ( you will require a rapid hardening chemical concrete fixing), again this is also an easy and straightforward solution.

That's sonnennlumen, I normally use the KPost quick dry cement which works a treat, thanks for the advice above, I like the idea of the galvanised post anchor, seems simple and straightforward

Advertisement