Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitachi Portable HDD

Options
  • 13-01-2015 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

I just bought a USB powered Hatachi HDD. I only found out that the USB cable it uses is slightly different from a standard USB cable in that the end that goes into the HDD has a strange shape.
    Are all portable HDD USB leads like this, or do some use your bog standard USB cable you will find in just about any house? ie. Cable shape is the same both ends.
    Reason I'm asking is it is a PITA having to bring a specific cable with me whenever I want to use the HDD outside my home.

Mods please move if posted in wrong place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its a SATA 3 connection and they are not easy to get cables for. Older drives would have had a slower SATA 2 connection the one you are used to seeing and using.

Edit> Sorry that should be USB 3 and USB 2 not sata

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ah grand. So almost all HDD's will have them now. PITA having to make sure you remember the cable when leaving the house but what can you do. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sorry I know you couldn't get the cables when the drives first came out but now see that they are available example http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-USB-Cable-Male-Micro/dp/B008EQZ25K/

Advertisement