Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5km from exchange

Options
  • 13-01-2015 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there

I have read on a number of threads here that the usual limit for broadband supply is 5km from the nearest exchange.

I live in Clonmany in Co. Donegal and have been told that I am unable to get broadband at this address despite being ony 2.5 km from the exchange in Clonmany.. what can be the reason for and is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

bombadil wrote: »
    Hi there

I have read on a number of threads here that the usual limit for broadband supply is 5km from the nearest exchange.

I live in Clonmany in Co. Donegal and have been told that I am unable to get broadband at this address despite being ony 2.5 km from the exchange in Clonmany.. what can be the reason for and is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks

Lee
    Hi Lee

That does sound quite odd although lines are not laid in direct sight of the exchange. PM me your details and I'll look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Thanks Alan.. PM sent

Thanks Alan.. PM sent
    Thanks bombadil

As soon as I have clarification on this I will be back to you right away

Cheers
    Al

Thanks Alan.. PM sent
    Thanks bombadil

Cheers
    Al

Hi Alan

I was just wondering if there was any update with this issue?

Thanks

Lee

Thanks Alan.. PM sent
    Thanks bombadil

Cheers
    Al

Hi Alan

I was just wondering if there was any update with this issue?

Thanks

Lee

Hi bombadil

I have received news on this from operations.

Operations have confirmed that it is not the distance from the exchange that is preventing your line getting broadband.

The reason for the lines incapability of hold broadband is because it is what can be classed as a "Carrier line" - Unfortunately carrier lines utilise a different cable path which can't support broadband and are installed in circumstances where a normal line cannot be.

Changing a carrier to a normal line is not a service eircom offer although ultimately you would need to contact your own operator about this.

There is a universal obligation for every premises in Ireland to have a working phone line which can make and take calls however this obligation does not apply to broadband and in consideration I’m afraid eircom cannot offer you broadband

I am genuinely sorry that I can't offer you better news on this but hope my clarification on this has helped a little.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Alan... I wish it was better news too!!!!

Thanks for that Alan... I wish it was better news too!!!!
    You're welcome bombadil

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement