Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat show!

• 13-01-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hello folks! Just to let those of you interested know there is a cat show coming up on the 22nd of February.
    It's in the Kilmurry lodge hotel in Limerick, if anyone is interested in entering the closing date for entries is the 19th of Jan. Peach and Cream are looking forward to making a return to the show scene after a years absence. Hoping peach will take her title of best in show non pedigree back :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Good luck mango and Peach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Good luck Peach and Cream, I'd love to try Ruby at one, she's a complete tart lately, one tickle and she's anyones!
    Arabella (grey fluffy has finally been named as she's clearly staying) is too shy still but we're working on it!
    Shame its so far away :(
    One day I hope to try a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Can you go to these as a spectator? Is there any stalls or can you walk around looking at the cats? Would be interested in trying Jesse's paw at a show, is there much to entering a non pedigree or how do you go about it?

Best of luck to Peach and Cream :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Yes you can go as a spectator, it opens to the public at about 1230/1. Should be about 90 cats. Will be a few stalls. Hard to know what sort of entry will be there for non ped, normally about 10.
    Usually a good British short-haired section, Persian/exotic section and semi long hair section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Can you go to these as a spectator? Is there any stalls or can you walk around looking at the cats? Would be interested in trying Jesse's paw at a show, is there much to entering a non pedigree or how do you go about it?

Best of luck to Peach and Cream :)

Yep as the madhouse said you can go as a spectator, this is how I started! I just wanted to go and look at some cute pedigree cats... ended up with all the people there convincing me to enter my non peds :D The Limerick one from what I remember usually has a stall selling vet bed, cat toys and that kinda stuff, a raffle and facepainting/ colouring in for kids. So it would be mainly about the cats not the stalls. But you will have more than enough to look at with the cats :D It's a really good opportunity to talk to owners of different breeds, and some will let you have a rub or cuddle with their cats if you ask. (and you always should ask first, some people don't want their cats being touched. Drives me mad when I see little kids sticking their hands into my cats cages as mine don't like children!)
    As for entering, a couple of months beforehand the schedule for the show and the entry forms come out, for GCCFI shows it's just a matter of filling in the form, picking the categories and paying the fee, for TICA shows you have to register them with TICA first which can be done online, though I think you can do one show before registering them. Oh and they have to be up to date on their vaccinations too.
    On the day, you get vetted in first, so you go to a seperate place from the hall where there will be a number of vets, they check the vaccination cert and have a check over the cat, just to make sure there's nothing like fleas or ear mites going on, and generally to make sure they are fit for show. (they always comment on how fat peach is... she's just fluffy I swear :pac: ), after you've passed the vetting you get given your pen number, set up the pen with some nice vet bed, a litter tray, food and water bowls and of course the all important cat! For pedigrees, any of the bedding etc has to be white but it doesn't matter for non peds. I think you have to leave food out of the cage until lunch time but leave them with water. Then everyone leaves the hall while judging is taking place, you can go back in again once it's open to the public, the judges will probably still be judging at that stage, and as far as I know it's in the rules you're not allowed approach or talk to the judges till after it's all over. There will be stewards going around putting various rosettes on the cages to show what the cats have won, and a board that says all the winnings too. At the end of it the stewards will come and take the cats that have won their best of breeds, put them in their carrier and take them up to the top cages. The pedigrees are then judged again by all judges before the reserve, and the best in show pedigree and non pedigree are announced. (They don't judge the non pedigree again.) And that's about it!
    Hope this gives a better light to what goes on! I wold definitely recommend going as a spectator first to get a feel for it and talk to people.
    If you want to know anything else just ask :D

• Advertisement

That answers a lot of questions thanks! :-)

Think il go along to the limerick show for the day out anyways. Il see what the schedule is like but I'd love to enter Jesse, she's all bald patches now after having bloods done. I may be biased but I think she's pretty enough to win :P

That answers a lot of questions thanks! :-)

Think il go along to the limerick show for the day out anyways. Il see what the schedule is like but I'd love to enter Jesse, she's all bald patches now after having bloods done. I may be biased but I think she's pretty enough to win :P

I think she's pretty enough too :P if you entered her she would be competing in the same category as cream, fierce rivalry going on :D you're more than welcome to have a cuddle with my guys on the day!

I think she's pretty enough too :P if you entered her she would be competing in the same category as cream, fierce rivalry going on :D you're more than welcome to have a cuddle with my guys on the day!

Not if you seen her now with her bald patches :P I'll have to meet the famous two and bring a big handbag :P On a serious note though is there ever any problems of cats scrambling and escaping?

Not if you seen her now with her bald patches :P I'll have to meet the famous two and bring a big handbag :P On a serious note though is there ever any problems of cats scrambling and escaping?

Hahaha you won't be long returning them back from that big handbag!:P
    Yeah occasionally a cat will bolt while being judged. It's more common in the TICA shows because there's more moving around if the cats. If it happens there's an announcement and all the doors are shut untill the cat is recovered again! Some cats are fine and their owners can walk around with them in their arms all day, whereas I know my two would panic. Dude doesn't panic, I had him out the whole time at the pet expo on a harness but he can't show anymore :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I think I might head over on Sunday for a look round as well. My boy loves cats so I might bring him to have a look.

I'll keep an eye out for you Sillymangox!

I'll be the one trying to stop an over giddy boy trying to stroke all the kittys!! He has been taught to ask honest!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Should be a good turn out with a lot of breeds and non Peds.
    Just be aware that the cats are out of their usual environment so some breeds will not want to too much poking by the afternoon. :-)

Really looking forward to this, hoping to see some sphynx; and peach and cream of course :-) il be the one with the cat shoes and the sulky man following me pretending he doesn't want to be there :P

Really looking forward to this, hoping to see some sphynx; and peach and cream of course :-) il be the one with the cat shoes and the sulky man following me pretending he doesn't want to be there :P

Forgot to say I loved the shoes! :P

On our way home now, peach didn't get to defend her title but the cat who won the non pedigree section was stunning so we don't mind :) she got two firsts and a third, and cream got three seconds. They were more relaxed than they have been at previous shows except for the end peach got a little freaked out by the crowds. So despite being extremely sleep deprived, we had a lovely day :) and it's always great to meet fellow boardsies :D

Forgot to say I loved the shoes! :P

On our way home now, peach didn't get to defend her title but the cat who won the non pedigree section was stunning so we don't mind :) she got two firsts and a third, and cream got three seconds. They were more relaxed than they have been at previous shows except for the end peach got a little freaked out by the crowds. So despite being extremely sleep deprived, we had a lovely day :) and it's always great to meet fellow boardsies :D

They did very well, well done :-) Who won overall? I left as they were assembling up top.

I have a very long list of breeds that I want to own some day, the maine coons were particularly impressive :-) A very vocal bengal was tempting too.

Took some pics but they don't do the cats justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Haha wish I'd known about this, I'd love to have gone! Are there any obedience competitions? My cat can do a bunch of tricks on command, he's a treasure...

It was a lovely lilac British who won, and the Persian(exotic) got reserve. I was hoping the adorable Asian who was staring at me all day would win, I really fell in love with her :P

There's no obedience competitions in these type of shows, it's not something I've heard of before but I remember watching something about an American cat show before and they had agility competitions for the cats! Haven't seen it here yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Sounds like a fun day! Well done to Peach and Cream! :D:D I was at a cat show here in Canada today... Met some beautiful Bengals :D:D I must put up some pics.. There was a woman with a cat buggy/stroller she entered like 4 cats!!

Advertisement