Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Transat?

Options
  • 13-01-2015 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

What are they like to fly with? It's looking like it will be either them or WestJet, although Transat seem to do a non-stop flight to Toronto which could edge it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Ya, I'm wondering the same thing. Have a direct London-Vancouver flight booked.
    It was a hell of a lot cheaper than the rest, got me thinking a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I think it depends on the plane you happen to be on, I've seen some OK reviews on here but my brother said that it was like flying on long haul Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

I flew with them last summer.

They are the only carrier that do Ireland (Dublin) <-> Montréal direct.

The schedule is once a week in each direction, from May to October.

Wednesdays YUL -> DUB 19:45 EST -> 06:50 GMT

Thursdays DUB -> YUL 09:20 GMT -> 11:10 EST

They are also the cheaper than any other carrier, so coupled with their direct flight, they are a good option.

I guess you will have a little more comfort on a BA flight for example, such as having your own screen on the back of the seat in front; although the redesigned A330 planes do have these in economy on Air Transat.

Looking at booking with this crowd, they're pretty cheap but the online reviews are just awful. Anybody with any experience of flying with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Looking at booking with this crowd, they're pretty cheap but the online reviews are just awful. Anybody with any experience of flying with them?

Think long-haul Ryanair without the advertising on the baggage bins. Basically if you bring your own sandwiches and a fully-charged tablet/laptop stuffed with movies it's not that bad.

• Advertisement

Yeah my last few trips to the US I haven't used the IFEs (the stuff I have downloaded is obviously to my taste). What about the seating? I'm 6"2 and people say it's miniscule. Would you notice that in particular (thanks for answering btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wittyusername

Yeah my last few trips to the US I haven't used the IFEs (the stuff I have downloaded is obviously to my taste). What about the seating? I'm 6"2 and people say it's miniscule. Would you notice that in particular (thanks for answering btw).

Been a while since I flew with them so I'm afraid I can't comment on the legroom with any certainty. The flight durations are usually pretty good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i'm a canadian living in ireland, and have travelled with them many, many times over the last 17 years. they are the best value. their service for the most part is fine... food is kinda crappy, and their luggage weight restriction sucks...(23kg 1 bag, 10kg carryon) but it's always a great price, and it's direct (apart from shannon on the way out some times) so can't really complain!

if you can afford it, upgrade to option plus. you get an extra 10kg's for your baggage & can choose your seat! usually about 40-50 quid each way.
    if you're lucky you can get an emergency exit row with lots of leg room! otherwise legroom is pretty standard like most air bus planes that size.

Thanks for the advice lads, I went with Air Canada in the end, the reviews for Air Transat scared me too much in the end ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Thanks for the advice lads, I went with Air Canada in the end, the reviews for Air Transat scared me too much in the end ha!

The Dublin-Toronto route is actually operated by Air Canada Rouge, which is like the low fares version of Air Canada.

• Advertisement

The Dublin-Toronto route is actually operated by Air Canada Rouge, which is like the low fares version of Air Canada.

I know, I'm connecting in LHR both ways to go mainline AC. It was like €10 more but, I need the additional comfort :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Flown with them loads of times from Vancouver to London and back. They are pretty good and I've never really had any issues. They have tablet style TV's on back of the seat with tons of entertainment.

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Flown with them loads of times from Vancouver to London and back. They are pretty good and I've never really had any issues. They have tablet style TV's on back of the seat with tons of entertainment.

Not on the A310s they usually fly from Dublin. You're probably used to the A330 which services that route (I think), which are much more modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Are there plug sockets or anything? Would be grand if I could use my laptop/phone but battery obviously wouldn't last otherwise.

Intifada wrote: »
    Are there plug sockets or anything? Would be grand if I could use my laptop/phone but battery obviously wouldn't last otherwise.

Nope. It's literally long haul Ryanair. It's how they sell tickets for €390 to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Not on the A310s they usually fly from Dublin. You're probably used to the A330 which services that route (I think), which are much more modern.

yea usually it is an a310, but i was lucky enough to be on an a330 from dublin last summer, and it felt like such an upgrade! was really pleased. the screen in the seat was a nice touch to help pass the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Nice plane going over on Friday (Gatwick Flight)
    Poxy jet on the way back on Sunday, it had no screens and my seat was crappier. The food is also awful, but one of the air hostesses was a goddess, so I just used her as eye candy instead.
    Overall experience? 7/10, would fly again.

Advertisement