Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Specialized Allez Sport -Vs-KTM Strada 1000

• 13-01-2015 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am about to purchase a road bike on the cycle to work scheme this weekend.

I am undecided which one to get - I understand that the spec on the KTM is better (This will be my first road bike - so only getting to grips with the terminology!)

Which one would be the better option - I plan to use the bike solely for leisure with the intention of riding in a group - down the line!

The Allez sport is coming in at €950 and the KTM is €1100.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

Have you considered this, cheaper, similar spec to KTM, and leaves money for upgrades to tyres/ wheels/ mudguards/ clothes, etc.

Sorry cant post link...look up Felt F85 on Wiggle, €642

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shan_14

Thanks, will take a look this evening.

I'd prefer to deal with a local bike shop - seems less complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Wondering how you alighted on those two for choice (nothing wrong with them!!), but wondering if you considered these which you will also be able to get from your local bricks and mortar shop, which seem better specced and cheaper:
    Giant Defy 1 €1099 Most shops stock Giant.
    Cube Peloton Race €999
    Again lots of shops stock these, though not as many as Giant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭tamaskan

Shan_14 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am about to purchase a road bike on the cycle to work scheme this weekend.

I am undecided which one to get - I understand that the spec on the KTM is better (This will be my first road bike - so only getting to grips with the terminology!)

Which one would be the better option - I plan to use the bike solely for leisure with the intention of riding in a group - down the line!

The Allez sport is coming in at €950 and the KTM is €1100.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I have the 2012 Strada 1000 with Tiagra group set and I can safely say it's a superb bike that helped me fall in love with cycling. I have since upgraded to a carbon frame Canyon for twice the money but the KTM is still the better bike at decending in my book, and that's saying something as the Canyon is a top of the line bike. The handling is immaculate, like its on rails. So confidence inspiring. I still use her on the indoor trainer, but she deserves much better really. Fantastic bike. You won't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭JMcL

I have a 2010 Allez Sport and like it a lot. It's had a wheel upgrade and is probably getting a new groupset this year. It's a nice frame. That said, Specialized are pricey for the spec you get (same as yourself, I was new to it all back in the day), and the antics of their lawsuit happy legal department will probably ensure I don't buy another one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Shan_14

I went into the bike shop on Saturday and sorted all the paper work out! Think ill go for the allez sport - (I don't want to spend over the €1k mark on the bike) - it leaves me room to get accessories for €50 too! Should have it by the weekend - looking forward to the first spin!

Advertisement