Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Years Creche

• 13-01-2015 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of sending my baby here, she will be 9 months old by time she would start. Has anyone had any experience of the creche, its the one on the clonsilla road?

Impressions I got were very good of the place, just wondering if anyone has more feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

I had three boys there at various times over the last eight years (none for the last two years though) Nothing but good words to have for Magic Years - especially the garden in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

Hi Larsso30

I'm thinking the same. I have to get down there to check the creche out first. My Child wouldn't be going until the summer and will be 11 months. Did you get anymore information ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭jlang

Very strong recommendation from me. We had one and then two at Magic Years (Coolmine) for the last few years. We've since moved house and reluctantly had to move the guys to a new montessori/after-school also.

Both started in the baby room at about 6 months, as we both work. They developed extremely well and were very well looked after as they progressed through the various stages to "graduation". The range and amount of make-and-do and themed activities carried out seem greater than at other comparable "institutions" (also the space outside and range of food prepared on-site). The staff obviously enjoy interacting with the kids and from talking to the staff and management, it is clear that they take the responsibility for early education seriously.

jlang wrote: »
    Very strong recommendation from me. We had one and then two at Magic Years (Coolmine) for the last few years. We've since moved house and reluctantly had to move the guys to a new montessori/after-school also.

Both started in the baby room at about 6 months, as we both work. They developed extremely well and were very well looked after as they progressed through the various stages to "graduation". The range and amount of make-and-do and themed activities carried out seem greater than at other comparable "institutions" (also the space outside and range of food prepared on-site). The staff obviously enjoy interacting with the kids and from talking to the staff and management, it is clear that they take the responsibility for early education seriously.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Very much appreciated .

I visited the one on the clonsilla road and was very impressed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Quick question, anyone happy to know what the terms are for withdrawing a child, how much notice has to be given etc? I know it was is the contract but can't seem to find it anywhere!

(By the way I'm not withdrawing him because of any problems with Magic Years, they are fantastic! However unfortunately our circumstances are changed, we'd have kept him there as long as possible otherwise, I'd highly recommend them!)

• Advertisement

Quick question, anyone happy to know what the terms are for withdrawing a child, how much notice has to be given etc? I know it was is the contract but can't seem to find it anywhere!

(By the way I'm not withdrawing him because of any problems with Magic Years, they are fantastic! However unfortunately our circumstances are changed, we'd have kept him there as long as possible otherwise, I'd highly recommend them!)

The child has to be in more than 3 months to get back the deposit. I think you have to give one months notice but i'm not 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I had to give a months notice when I withdrew my 2 eldest a couple of years ago.

On the subject of childcare and sorry to jump into the thread. From Jan I will be looking for Childcare 4 mornings per week (8 - 1.30), Magic Years would be my preference however 3 full days is the minimum, Giraffe don't do morning only. Could anybody recommend anywhere else please?, or should I be looking for a childminder?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

fairly sure magic years do 5 half days. nearly certain so wouldnt rule of 4

Larsso30 wrote: »
    fairly sure magic years do 5 half days. nearly certain so wouldnt rule of 4
    In fairness they have come back and said they can accommodate us, so we're delighted the little lad will be starting in Magic Years in Jan.

great creche, my little one loves it there. cant recommend it highly enough, great piece of mind when we go off to work every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Tangocash

I was also wondering about booking my lil 2 year old into this creche in the next few months, on a part time basis maybe 8-3.30pm 3 days a week or maybe 4 mornings a week 8 - 1pm, but am curious about the prices for a part time basis, does anyone know what the part time prices are and in what format can one book a part time place? Any help really appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Belini

Tangocash wrote: »
    I was also wondering about booking my lil 2 year old into this creche in the next few months, on a part time basis maybe 8-3.30pm 3 days a week or maybe 4 mornings a week 8 - 1pm, but am curious about the prices for a part time basis, does anyone know what the part time prices are and in what format can one book a part time place? Any help really appreciated.

If you call in the prices are inside the door, it's 515 for a 4 day week 7.30-1.30 I think.
    I don't think they have a price until 3.30 but Mary the owner might give you one if you call them, but I think she would count it as a full day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Anyone else have kids here still? It's going down hill fast with management and staff turnover.

brightkane wrote: »
    Anyone else have kids here still? It's going down hill fast with management and staff turnover.

I do, I wouldn't agree at all that's it's going downhill fast. There is a high staff turnover but no more than any other crèche. I've had kids through here now for over 10 years and would still highly recommend. My 2 year old can't get in quick enough in the morning.

i dont know if you were at the meeting in January ?

Empty promises of keeping parents updated, promise of a newsletter.

Staff personal stuff being discussed with parents.

3 teachers in the Montessori are leaving.

All for the same reason...

Parents were told on Friday with one staff member leaving Friday after giving in the required notice.

Its very very unsettling for kids and we arent the only parents to notice it.

2 dont even have other jobs to go to!

We have friends that have kids in many different creches and they dont have the same issue of the high turnover of staff.

yes there are some constants there but we have gone though 12/15 teachers that have left for other creches.

Also fees went up about 18 months ago for a new wing that never arrived.

Hoping another meeting will be called but dont hold out much hope for changes as a result of January meeting.

Ourselves and 3 other parents are looking at creches elsewhere which would be 7 children taken from magic years. And we wouldn't do it lightly.

Anyway if your experience has been positive thats fantastic. Ours was also at that age but when we moved into the phases of the next rooms cracks began to appear.

Some days we dont know who is staff and who is a parents with all the changing faces!

Out if curiosity , what is the reason so many are leaving ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

My gf used to work in the Clonsilla branch... the stories from the place are unreal.

Kids being sent to bed in dirty nappies, management were/are diabolical and absolute ill treatment of staff.

Creche fees increasing by 8% to cover new subsidy. Last time it increased it was for a new wing that never was built.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

8% is over the top...they cant retain staff, advertising for staff with a flier at carpenter atm is not very professional...job listing on jobsite €20k is buttons for position with responsibilty. Will be asking questions where this substantial is going.

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    8% is over the top...they cant retain staff, advertising for staff with a flier at carpenter atm is not very professional...job listing on jobsite €20k is buttons for position with responsibilty. Will be asking questions where this substantial is going.

Here is the flier. Have you a child in there qwerty?

• Advertisement

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    job listing on jobsite €20k is buttons for position with responsibilty.

Granted if it's a 40 hour week - €10.42 an hour... That's very good tbh for childcare.

My gf is on €11 an hour with 7+ years experience and a level 6 course behind her.

Trying to attach on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

I've 2 kids there...rise seems oppertunistic and the way people were notified was poor form with notice on door but nobody in office to query why such an increase and what extra income iis going to be spent on.

Il be e-mailing them to find out more. Happy with service, although as another poster mentioned seems to be high staff turnover recently. Any little reduction from new govt scheme completely written off by this increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jmmk92

My gf used to work in the Clonsilla branch... the stories from the place are unreal.

Kids being sent to bed in dirty nappies, management were/are diabolical and absolute ill treatment of staff.

If you're girlfriend knew that the children were " supposablely " in dirty nappies going to bed would she not have changed them or made it aware to the room leader ???

Jmmk92 wrote: »
    If you're girlfriend knew that the children were " supposablely " in dirty nappies going to bed would she not have changed them or made it aware to the room leader ???

*Supposedly

Why would she have taken responsibility of the other rooms kids as well as her own? :confused: The creche had (potentially still has) a wool over the eyes approach by management so it was pointless to speak to them.

The management also tried taking back my gfs wages after she was leaving as a bully type method.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Have things settled down in magic years since the most recent discussion above?

We're expecting our first baby in the new year and this creche would be convenient to where we live / getting the train.
    But some of the conversations above have me spooked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I'm not sure on that but find Giraffe Clonsilla handy for the train and crèche.

Jacinta086 wrote: »
    Have things settled down in magic years since the most recent discussion above?

We're expecting our first baby in the new year and this creche would be convenient to where we live / getting the train.
    But some of the conversations above have me spooked!

Hi Jacinta, we have had 2 children in Magic years from babies through to after schoolers and have another in there at present. Still as happy as ever to be honest, any questions PM me and I’ll be happy to answer them

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Thanks so much Blazing Saddler. Nice to hear you are still happy with it.
    And thanks Seanie, i'll defo look up Giraffe too; we are on the Carpenterstown side of the tracks though so not sure how easy it would be to get to Giraffe when train lines are down. But defo something to consider.

• Advertisement

What magic years have is a convenient location which they know. Hence they have raised fees repeatedly with no adverse affect on the numbers attending. They know they have parents where they want them and parents can't move kids as other creches are full.

The issues with teachers leaving is a problem. It's disruptive to the kids and had been a common trend through the years. You might say attrition it's a common theme in creches. We know of creches that dont have these problems and magic years other creche doesn't the same issues with staff retention. Every member of staff we have spoken to after they have left said they were all leaving for the same reason. And it wasn't money for other opportunities....

Advertisement