Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Insurance

Options
  • 13-01-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Any advice please, we currently rent out our duplex to tennants. The Duplex is covered by Block insurance which the Management Company takes care of. I purchase contents insurance to cover our contents e.g. beds / lockers / electricals etc and the tenants are responsible for their own contents and belongings. My question is do I also need to take out specific landlord insurance to cover for public liability if the tenant was to get injured in the house? and if so does anyone recommend any providers or have any idea of cost?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

I'd imagine the block insurance contains Public Liability cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dialemma

I have heard that often though only if owner occupied and not if property is leased so just wanted to see if anyone has any experience of this. Have contacted our Property Management Company but they are slow to give a definite answer and seem to be unsure themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

it would be very unlikely as this is a private area. Public liability would extend to the common areas which have a degree of public access.

One thing you may want to look at is getting landlord cover that insures against the excess of the block insurance. The excess can often be €1000 or as high as €15,000. If you claim on this then you are expected to meet the shortfall after the excess is deducted from the pay out.

Is there any requirement to have PL for inside a rented property?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dialemma

Lantus wrote: »
    it would be very unlikely as this is a private area. Public liability would extend to the common areas which have a degree of public access.

One thing you may want to look at is getting landlord cover that insures against the excess of the block insurance. The excess can often be €1000 or as high as €15,000. If you claim on this then you are expected to meet the shortfall after the excess is deducted from the pay out.

Is there any requirement to have PL for inside a rented property?

Hi Lantus, thanks for that advice, and the question re: requirement for PL inside a rented property is a good one, this is one of the areas I'm looking for guidance on. Is it a thing that if my tenant trips over the carpet for example and breaks his leg (touch wood not) can he then rightfully sue me. Or if one of the tenants friends for example gets injured inside the property am I liable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

And who is the cheapest to provide LL insurance also?

• Advertisement
Advertisement