Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Cat Contained on Property

• 13-01-2015 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

We will be moving house in a number of months and the furries are coming with us. I am anxious about them for two reasons: the house fronts onto the road a lot more than our current one. Although the road is not very busy, there is still a danger from passing cars. The second concern is this house is only across said road from where we currently live! I don't want them toddling back across the road! I don't feel comfortable leaving them out all day when the OH and myself are working full time in case anything happens to them but obviously we want to allow them out at weekends and the long summer evenings so that they can enjoy their freedom. Does anyone know a humane and effective way of keeping them confined to the (fairly large) garden? As we will be renting, I am limited with regards to permanent structures/enclosures and fencing. I was thinking about an electric fence but they would have to get used to wearing collars and afaik the jury is still out on how humane and effective these are for cats. There is the danger they would bolt anyway if startled/hunting and then be deterred from returning.

Ah, logistical nightmare. Any ideas? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Is there an existing fence around the garden you could put up some inward facing nets? If not you could look at building a fenced in garden using wood based pillars as base (i.e. you don't need to dig up the garden itself to put the "fence posts" due to the net being relatively light).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Nody wrote: »
    Is there an existing fence around the garden you could put up some inward facing nets? If not you could look at building a fenced in garden using wood based pillars as base (i.e. you don't need to dig up the garden itself to put the "fence posts" due to the net being relatively light).

There is a mid-height stone wall all around and at the front, and a gate. I'm more worried about the back though, as it backs onto a forest. If they got out there, they could easily roam and come back down onto the road. The post idea is not a bad one! Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would look at closing off an area like suggested above, I have seen reclaimed pallets used as a base and frame, and chicken wire on top for sides and roof. Fix it by a small window and you have a cat run. It can be easily taken apart, is cheap to make (there's cheaper than chicken wire to use) and you can safely let them out to get used to new house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I know nothing about cats, being a cat slave for only the past 3 months, but I am very interested in this subject, as my kitten is not going to be allowed outdoors until she is neutered ... I thought cats had a TERRITORY?! If you live across the road from what will be your new house, wont that be within their territory? If they were out already, wont they 'know' that road? How do you manage them at the moment from the point of view of allowing them out while you are working - is your current garden cat-proof? Sorry for all the questions - Im getting palpitations thinking about my kitten going out in to the world (and we're v.rural) :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I moved just over the road from our old house, its about 250m away, Toby goes to the shop with us regularly (half way between both houses), but has never gone back to the old house, I checked with the neighbours.
    But this house is much better anyway, bigger garden and a field outside!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

aonb wrote: »
    I know nothing about cats, being a cat slave for only the past 3 months, but I am very interested in this subject, as my kitten is not going to be allowed outdoors until she is neutered ... I thought cats had a TERRITORY?! If you live across the road from what will be your new house, wont that be within their territory? If they were out already, wont they 'know' that road? How do you manage them at the moment from the point of view of allowing them out while you are working - is your current garden cat-proof? Sorry for all the questions - Im getting palpitations thinking about my kitten going out in to the world (and we're v.rural) :o

Haha no worries. At the moment where we live, although the house is in the same territory as you rightly said, the house is set well back from the road. Of course, there is always a risk when they are out but at the moment it's not too bad. They have plenty of garden to explore and there is a little pond around the back, it's more dense with trees and the house backs onto a field so I suppose they would be more likely to go there than down the driveway and onto the road. I have caught my boy on the road once or twice, and have let a roar at him so he associates being there with getting a fright, and he has ran back in. Our neighbour honks her cat out of it if she sees him on the road, to try to deter him" :D Sadly, we've both lost cats on the same road. It's always a risk but we can't keep them locked up either. Now, I am more careful and there is always someone there when they are out. Also, I don't feed them until they are ready to come back in, and I find they tend to "hang around" a bit more when they are looking for grub. It also means that when you want them in quickly, you can just bang a dish and they will appear from all corners! :P I know all too well the anxiety of letting the little ones out for the first time. I've a 13 week old, and she wont be going out until late spring!

Advertisement