Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avant Card phoning everyone with my surname

Options
  • 13-01-2015 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could share some light on my rights here.

AvantCard basically looked up a phone directory and rang people with the same name as me

Whats really pissed me off is that they basically endangered my elderly grandmothers life, she lives alone and suffers from stress and panic attacks.
    Their phone call alarmed her so much in the panic she rushed toward her back door with STEEP steps in order to "run" down the road to my house to give me the land-line phone while Avant were still online!!
    The woman was run over by a car less than a year ago, suffered from a broken back amongst other injuries and therefore is not very mobile.
    Furthermore, we're covered in snow and ice today, it was even snowing when they rang.

only for the VERY OUT OF THE BLUE visit from my aunt to my grandmother, was she stopped. I have no doubt in my mind that my gran would have fallen down those steps resulting in either death or severe injury (she also suffers from a rare autoimmune disease etc)

like what the hell, surely they cant ring up anyone with the same surname as me?

apart from almost killing my grandmother today, i live in a small nosy community anyone they have called will be questioning me about my private business. it looks bad when a credit card is ringing around, people around here are going to have a field day gossiping about the state of my finances and Im a local teacher.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Why don't you ring them and give your number so it doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 biddy boop

Why don't you ring them and give your number so it doesn't happen again.

They have my number.

Literally 5 minutes before my grandmother was called, I hung up on a private caller, as I was on a call with a friend travelling in Asia

I assume that was them because he told me he had tried ringing my mobile

In my opinion when some hangs up on you it means it's a bad time for a phone call
    Secondly, I don't like answering private numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Probably best to lodge a complaint with them. I'm not sure they're even allowed call from private numbers tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Was your account linked to your grandmothers land line previously maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 biddy boop

dobsdave wrote: »
    Was your account linked to your grandmothers land line previously maybe?

Nope never linked, and he said on the phone that he looked up my name to find a number

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Make a complaint I suppose is your only option.
    The fact that your Grandmothers number is publicly accessable means anyone can ring her, maybe get her on x-directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Probably best to lodge a complaint with them. I'm not sure they're even allowed call from private numbers tbh.
    Really? I've been rung on a private number from a bank (not AvantCard) very recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

biddy boop wrote: »
    Secondly, I don't like answering private numbers

I have no caller ID on my house phone so I never know who is ringing.

Get over it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Just wondering, does that apply to all banking institutions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Really? I've been rung on a private number from a bank (not AvantCard) very recently.

same here, and its happened by two different banks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Just wondering, does that apply to all banking institutions?

No, the above isn't true. For many reasons they call on private numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Do you have any evidence that they are discussing your personal business with neighbours/relatives etc. if you have they are breaching confidentially and can be reported to the Data Protection Commissioner. If they are ringing from a private number which they are entitled to and are just asking for you, well they are not really breaking any rules as all they have to say is that its a wrong number.

I think it would be a good idea to arrange for your grandmother to be ex directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

How did you find out that they rang everyone with the surname as you? So far you only have proof that they rang your grandmother? For all you know they may have tried you at work or a previous work number & they may have given them your grandmother's number if they had it as a contact number.

If you ever rang them from your grandmother's number they may have the number linked to your account. Could she have not told them that you don't live there & to contact you on your mobile, or simply take a message?

Contact them & ask what phone numbers they have on file for you. If they have your grandmother's tell them to delete it & write to their Data Protection dept to instruct them to disassociate her number from your account & only to contact you at whatever numbers you supply to them.

Have you ignored any letters from them? If so, they will try to contact you by other means. If you have missed any payments contact them or speak to MABS.

Advertisement