Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmates getting fired

Options
  • 13-01-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I live with two of my colleagues (myself, flatmate1 and flatmate2) in one 3-bedroom apartment. We moved in at the same time and we each have our own lease, but only flatmate1 pays the rent. Me and flatmate2 then forward him our share of the rent.

We only signed the 1-year leases two months ago, but a big problem has come up.

My two flatmates keep calling in sick / showing up late to work. I on the other hand have been doing very well and recently got a promotion. In my new position I discovered that my two flat mates are going to get laid off soon because of there behavior and there's nothing that can be done about it at this point.

As my flatmates are soon to be unemployed, they won't be able to pay rent. I want to know what I can expect.

The rent is almost as high as my monthly pay.. If my flatmates leave, can my landlord legally ask me for the complete rent until new tenants have been found?

Many thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Who signed the lease, if it was just you I think you're responsible for it. If you all did then the three of you are jointly and severally liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 usbToaster

All three of us signed the lease. Can the landlord kick me out if my two flatmates leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

yes, if all 3 of you signed the lease, all 3 of you are liable and all 3 will be jointly in breach. If you want to stay and they leave you will have to pay all of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 usbToaster

That's all I needed to know. Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

usbToaster wrote: »
    I live with two of my colleagues (myself, flatmate1 and flatmate2) in one 3-bedroom apartment. We moved in at the same time and we each have our own lease, but only flatmate1 pays the rent. Me and flatmate2 then forward him our share of the rent..

3 different leases or not?
    If its just one lease that ye all signed then yeah previous advice is sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

He said also above
    All three of us signed the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

OP this sounds like a situation that could turn very burdensome for you very quickly. Personally I'd be looking for an exit as soon as possible. Luckily for you we have a stupid law in this country that allows you to reassign to remainder of your lease without any penalties or fees.

I feel sorry for your poor landlord though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I'd also be wary about flatmate 1 having control of paying the rent. When they will lose their jobs can you be 100% sure that the money you give him will actually go to the landlord?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 from little acorns

Assuming you're friends with these guys as well as flatmates/colleagues, and depending on your relationships with them and how much you feel you can trust them ... it's worth considering giving them a heads-up. (Not entirely ethical.) It's easier to get a new job when you already have a job, and in interviews, it'll save them having to explain why they were let go from their last job. That could work out in your favour - one or both of them have accepted new jobs before it came to a point when they got fired, so there is no lapse in rent. And hopefully they would cop on and make a fresh start in the new jobs.

Whether you decide to do this or not, if I were you I would insist on having each of you make a separate transfer to the landlord each month (make sure your name is referenced on your payments to him.) At least then if they stop paying, he'll have a record of regular payments from you. Some landlords will be more flexible than others - if they can't afford rent payments any longer, he might be happy to allow you to sub-let. But it would be important to have the payment history in your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

(Not entirely ethical.)
    Most of the time, the writing is on the wall in advance. Unless the OP was best buds with the others, I wouldn't tell them as it'll probably come back to bite you, and if they were best buds the OP would have known they were slackers long ago (IMO).

=-=

I'd get out of the lease now, and have someone replace you. Otherwise the other flatmates will be jobless, penniless, and may abandon you to the flat. Perhaps ask the landlord on the QT about reassigning the lease?

Oh, and as said, pay the landlord directly from now on, otherwise your months rent may fund someones lifestyle choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I think you are jumping the gun a bit. Firstly, there will be procedures in work, verbal warnings etc, and that might be enough to get them to pull their socks up. Secondly, they may have funds put aside to tide them over til they get a new job. I wouldn't go moving out, or worrying about something that is not an issue yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭kenmccarthy

MouseTail wrote: »
    I think you are jumping the gun a bit. Firstly, there will be procedures in work, verbal warnings etc, and that might be enough to get them to pull their socks up. Secondly, they may have funds put aside to tide them over til they get a new job. I wouldn't go moving out, or worrying about something that is not an issue yet.

Spot on!!!!!!
    Why worry about what 'might'happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

MouseTail wrote: »

Not true if they're contractors. Going from my impression the general populace, the vast majority people do not have emergency funds in place in case of a job less or anything of that nature.

I'd continue to echo the sentiment that bailing out as soon as possible is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whether you decide to do this or not, if I were you I would insist on having each of you make a separate transfer to the landlord each month (make sure your name is referenced on your payments to him.) At least then if they stop paying, he'll have a record of regular payments from you.

I wouldn't, because you lose visibility of whether the other two have paid or not. If they say they paid but don't show you bank statements, and the LL says they didn't, then you have no way to prove that they paid. Remember - a joint lease means jointly and severally liable. The only way I'd go to invidiual payments is if you have individual leases with individual amounts - and then you lose control over who your housemates are.

OP, I'm impressed that you got a promotion even though your friends / housemates are slackers - you must be good. However things will likely get unpleasant if/when they get fired, so I'd be looking for new friends/housemates now.

Also - if they're still on probation they can be let go with a week's notice. Don't rely on it taking long to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

bail out asap

Advertisement