Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear router as wired access point

Options
  • 13-01-2015 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I have a NETGEAR WGR614V9 router which I want to use as an access point in the house. I managed to do this before, but I forgot the login credentials I set, so had to reset it...Prize Idiot!

I have a Zyxel F1000 router as my base station and a number of things wired to it upstairs. Rather than use the wireless repeater function (decreased speed) on the WGR614V9, I want to use the CAT5e cables to link the two (Router and access point). As you would expect, I want to use the same wireless SSID and password. I also assume that if I have a network printer, there will be no issue printing on the network to this with the AP in place

Does anyone know 1. if this can be done and if so, 2. how to do it.

I have played around with the various settings and not managed to get anything to work satisfactorily. Had IP Conflicts, WGR614v9 changing its default IP, no internet through the AP ....blah blah blah!

Ideally I would have the base router being 192.168.1.254 and the AP being 192.168.1.253. I assume this would be possible, but I've no idea

Please and thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Lock the channel on the F1000

--
    On Netgear:
    2. Disable DHCP
    3. Set IP to .1.253
    4. Disable firewall
    5. Copy SSID and PSK from F1000, pick a DIFFERENT channel
    6. Connect the two with ethernet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

When you change the ip on the Netgear you'll have to assign a static ip to your network card if you are connected directly to it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

ED E wrote: »
    6. Connect the two with ethernet.

Just to add, connect from LAN port to LAN port.

Advertisement