Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To A Midwife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 I'm A Midwife, AMA

Lisha wrote: »
    Have you ever seen a mother to leave hospital abandoning her baby?

Do you see social services being involved often?

How common aand how identifiable is foetal alcohol syndrome or babies born drug addicted/damaged?

Do you ever pity a baby cos the parents are simply incapable of being good parents?

Thankfully I've never seen a woman abandon a baby.

Yes, I see the involvement of social services a fair amount which is very reassuring. Like anyone they are pushed to the limit at the moment but they do a very difficult job very well from what I see.

Foetal alcohol syndrome is quite rare now, I've never seen it myself. I have looked after babies who are withdrawing from various substances - if a mum is known to be using a substance regularly then we will perform something called the Finnegan Score on the baby for at least the first five days of life, this assesses the level of withdrawl symptoms and will indicate when or if a baby will require transfer to the neonatal unit. Withdrawl is not dose dependent and to see a baby withdrawing is always upsetting for mothers. If a baby is showing signs of withdrawl but the mother is not known to be taking something regularly the baby will be reviewed frequently, again it's on a case by case basis. Babies can withdraw from coffee, coca cola, cigarettes and lots of other things, not just heroin etc.
    No she was not facing up. All I know is that both times my waters went and the for 24hrs no pain nothing. Then all of s sudden I wanted to push and then contractions came fast and furious. I suppose cos my waters went they did not wish to digitally examine me. But once pains started it possibly only took 1.5hrs for Her to be born.
    On some usa websites they talk about a hormonal imbalance whicheabs dilation is off with some women. I dunno but I don't intend to have another one :)

After my first which was a section after failed induction I felt like s total failure. I really felt my body left me down.
    Is it common to feel a failure after c section?

Thanks again :)

That sounds like a really really tough time. It is common to feel like a failure after a section, though I think that if you remember that your baby needed that birth it can be of some comfort. Obviously if the feelings were going on and on for a long time I would always encourage women to go to their GP to talk about them or book an appointment with their hospital team to discuss the birth and the recovery from it, mentally and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

What will your birth preferences be for your own labour and why?

How is the relationship generally between midwives and doctors / anaesthesiologists? Do you ever disagree with their assessment?

Can you predict when an induction is going to fail and end in c section? If so, do you still think it is worth trying induction?

Are Irish women well prepared for labour?

Are patients allowed read their own charts?

Do you judge patients for choice of feeding method, choice of pain relief etc. Professionally I'm sure you shouldn't but personally?

What is your role on post natal ward? To ensure mom heals ok and baby healthy? What about making sure mom looking after baby correctly?

Is it part of a midwifes role to ensure breastfeeding is established in each patient? Or is patient responsible for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

How much are the birth practices in Ireland influenced by the catholicism, how it compares with 20 years ago and how do you see this evolving?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

What is your opinion on home births?

Is it, in your opinion, an unnecessary risk especially if the house is far away from the hospital?

A friend of mine had her 3rd girl recently. Long story short, all were by section and she had a very long journey to conception with a lot of intervention.
    While waiting fur her section the midwives were saying 'surely its a boy' and then when it was a girl she was patted on the hand and told sure 'we'll see you hear again and better luck next time' .
    She said thankfully she knew a 4th was out of the question and she has laughed it off but she feels another person could have been very upset by the careless comments.
    Do other midwives old fashioned ways get under your skin at any time?

Thanks again for your time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I have 2 very good friends who are mid wives, one is a manager. The stories they tell are sometimes priceless.

But as often said 90% of the time it is the best place to be, helping parents bring their new born into the world, but that other 10% is horrendous. Having to deliver a still birth or a baby incompatible with life etc. have you helped in a birth like that and do you find it difficult to remain “focused and without emotion?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Have you had many teenage pregnancies to deal with? Are they particularly worse?

Marz66 wrote: »
    What will your birth preferences be for your own labour and why?

How is the relationship generally between midwives and doctors / anaesthesiologists? Do you ever disagree with their assessment?

Can you predict when an induction is going to fail and end in c section? If so, do you still think it is worth trying induction?

Are Irish women well prepared for labour?

Are patients allowed read their own charts?

Do you judge patients for choice of feeding method, choice of pain relief etc. Professionally I'm sure you shouldn't but personally?

What is your role on post natal ward? To ensure mom heals ok and baby healthy? What about making sure mom looking after baby correctly?

Is it part of a midwifes role to ensure breastfeeding is established in each patient? Or is patient responsible for this?

For my own birth I want to keep an open mind, ideally I would like to go into labour myself, though my mother had three inductions for being overdue, I will be employing hypnobirthing techniques and listening to my music as much as possible. I'd like to stay home as long as possible and remain upright and mobile. Ideally I would like to avoid an epidural, I hate the idea of someone putting a massive needle into my spine and having to sit super still while in pain to allow them to do it, though if I'm tired and I'm not coping then I'll absolutely get one. All going well I'd like to have the cord left intact for 2-4minutes and keep baby skin to skin for as long as possible. I'm happy for my baby to have vitamin K injection and I'm going to breastfeed.

Generally relationships between midwives and doctors are good, we respect each others roles, though there will always be personalities that don't get on. If we are unhappy with an assessment we will speak to them about it and occasionally go over a doctors head to their senior, we spend more time with the women than they do and can see changes that they may not pick up on right away.

We can predict when an induction will not work but I do think it's still worth giving it a shot most of the time. The odd time I really don't agree with making an attempt, having someone uncomfortable or in pain and have nothing productive occur at the end of it.

Many Irish women are not well prepared for labour, they know the word epidural and don't want to consider much else. I find many often don't want to "feel" anything at all, while pain and discomfort and hard work is a very normal part of labour, women want to be numb from the waist down and have nothing to do with it. I think not enough women go to antenatal classes, I've had some say to me "why would I go to them they're full of aul wans".

Women can read their own charts any time they want, guidelines tell us to write legibly and in a manor that can be understood easily, not to use medical jargon etc.

I never judge women for their feeding choice, it makes no difference to me what they do. Personally I think breastfeeding is the normal way to feed a baby, it's what I grew up seeing, I think to put a bottle of artificial milk into a babys mouth is grossly abnormal. I equally understand that women who grow up surrounded by bottle fed babies feel that placing a body part into a babys mouth is abnormal too. While I understand that women feel guilt around feeding choice it makes my job difficult when I spend a lot of time supporting someone to establish breastfeeding and on day three they decide to stop, despite all going well, because they "just wanted to try it" or they "didn't get enough help" or they're tired - this goes back to lack of preparation too, breastfeeding is a learned skill for both mum and baby but many wont give it a proper go.

The midwives role on the postnatal ward is to support new families in learning skills they will need to care for their new born baby, support feeding choices, observe mother and baby interaction, support mums mental health and well being, we perform basic observations and make sure the women are not in pain. In our changing population we are caring for more and more high risk women too, women with extremely high BMI or previous medical conditions etc.

Not really sure what you mean by is it part of the midwives role to ensure each patient establishes breastfeeding. If a woman wants to breastfeed she will receive all the support she asks for, we make sure that a few feeds at least are observed, assist with latch if necessary, make sure women know feeding queues, how to know baby is getting enough, different positions and how to hand express prior to discharge home. As I say above, there should be some onus on women themselves to prepare for breastfeeding, though very few do any preparation, from what I've seen.

gzoladz wrote: »
    How much are the birth practices in Ireland influenced by the catholicism, how it compares with 20 years ago and how do you see this evolving?

I'm not sure I can accurately answer your question, having not worked in the services for quite that long. I can say that in the units I've worked in there are no nuns any more and while some will continue to offer mass on a Sunday.
    I have 2 very good friends who are mid wives, one is a manager. The stories they tell are sometimes priceless.

But as often said 90% of the time it is the best place to be, helping parents bring their new born into the world, but that other 10% is horrendous. Having to deliver a still birth or a baby incompatible with life etc. have you helped in a birth like that and do you find it difficult to remain “focused and without emotion?"

I have never attended the birth of a still born baby, though I have "discovered" a baby who has passed i.e listened to the heartbeat to find the baby has passed unexpectedly, I've looked after families before and after the birth of a stillborn and it is always shocking and very upsetting. I've also looked after families where babies are going to be sick after birth and babies who are critical or receiving palliative care in the neonatal unit. I don't think it's necessary to remain without emotion, if you form a bond with someone it's ok to become emotional and for them to see a tear in your eye, it's never ok for you to make the situation about you.
    irish_goat wrote: »
    Have you had many teenage pregnancies to deal with? Are they particularly worse?

I've dealt with a number of teenage pregnancies and like any other women they have their own personalities and ideas about what is right. Some will get on with things like absolutely natural born mothers and some will take some serious coaxing to do the basic things. Some will behave like absolute brats but as I say, that's not unlike any other women that we meet every day.

What is your opinion on home births?

Is it, in your opinion, an unnecessary risk especially if the house is far away from the hospital?

A friend of mine had her 3rd girl recently. Long story short, all were by section and she had a very long journey to conception with a lot of intervention.
    While waiting fur her section the midwives were saying 'surely its a boy' and then when it was a girl she was patted on the hand and told sure 'we'll see you hear again and better luck next time' .
    She said thankfully she knew a 4th was out of the question and she has laughed it off but she feels another person could have been very upset by the careless comments.
    Do other midwives old fashioned ways get under your skin at any time?

Thanks again for your time :)

I think that for low risk women who's partners fully support them home birth is a fantastic option, though as I said in an earlier post there is a culture of us and them, coming from both the "institutions" and the self employed community midwives, making the process of finding a midwife and attending both the hospital and the midwife during the pregnancy potentially stressful. As I also said in the above post if more hospitals and units had midwifery led units and homebirth schemes it would offer more choice to women, something scarily lacking in Ireland.

There are less and less of these sorts of old fashioned opinions where I work, thankfully. I would be horrified to hear such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had an induction on my first: 5 rounds of gel: I've never read or heard of anyone receiving 5 rounds of gel: is it something you've ever seen? I did not cope with the pain at all on my first despite pethidine, gas and air and an epidural. My second another induction was a pretty perfect labour: despite only having a TENS and some has and air. Much less painful! In your experience do people cope much better on a second birth?

Also are you seeing any increase in people breastfeeding when pregnant? If never heard of it before it had my first and I fed until I was 16weeks pregnant: I'm probably a total hippy at heart though ;) I had a midwife ask me how I got pregnant when breastfeeding... Try explaining that one!!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much - your answers are really interesting and informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

For my own birth I want to keep an open mind, ideally I would like to go into labour myself, though my mother had three inductions for being overdue, I will be employing hypnobirthing techniques and listening to my music as much as possible. I'd like to stay home as long as possible and remain upright and mobile. Ideally I would like to avoid an epidural, I hate the idea of someone putting a massive needle into my spine and having to sit super still while in pain to allow them to do it, though if I'm tired and I'm not coping then I'll absolutely get one. All going well I'd like to have the cord left intact for 2-4minutes and keep baby skin to skin for as long as possible. I'm happy for my baby to have vitamin K injection and I'm going to breastfeed.

That all sounds perfect! :) It must be great seeing close up exactly what works best and what doesn't work so well for other women giving birth. I was one of those women with the epidural late on in labour, and it was absolute hell trying to remain still through several close contractions while he was trying to put it in.

Have you had the experience yet of being midwife for one of your colleagues (or anyone you knew)? Is it strange or uncomfortable at all, or does it make the whole experience even more special?

At what point (if any) does medical necessity override the wishes of the mother or next-of-kin? Example - say if you have a mother in labour at or close to full-term, who absolutely explicitly refuses a C Section no matter what, and the baby's father backs her up, and the Section is urgently required to save the baby's life. Maybe this has never happened in your experience, but what do you think would happen if it did, and if the parents weren't budging? Assuming the decision urgently had to be made there and then.

If you weren't a midwife, what would your alternative career choices have been?

I'm sure that these days, in the case of any birth defects etc, problems are usually identified early in the pregnancy. But have you ever had cases where a problem only becomes apparent at birth? If so, would it be your responsibility to inform the parents or the doctors' responsibility? And would the parents be told there and then in the delivery room?

Do you find your role any more difficult now that you're pregnant yourself? As it's a physical job, I'm sure being pregnant will make it more difficult that way, but I'm thinking moreso from an emotional point of view. For example, does it make it harder for you to deal with pregnant smokers or addicts, or others who you know are damaging the baby through their lifestyle choices? I imagine it must make it harder to remain objective and supportive, but maybe not!

Thanks for all the answers - very informative! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I'm not sure I can accurately answer your question, having not worked in the services for quite that long. I can say that in the units I've worked in there are no nuns any more and while some will continue to offer mass on a Sunday.

Thanks. I supposed the question was more oriented towards how religion influences decisions in critical situations, etc

cyning wrote: »
    I had an induction on my first: 5 rounds of gel: I've never read or heard of anyone receiving 5 rounds of gel: is it something you've ever seen? I did not cope with the pain at all on my first despite pethidine, gas and air and an epidural. My second another induction was a pretty perfect labour: despite only having a TENS and some has and air. Much less painful! In your experience do people cope much better on a second birth?

Also are you seeing any increase in people breastfeeding when pregnant? If never heard of it before it had my first and I fed until I was 16weeks pregnant: I'm probably a total hippy at heart though ;) I had a midwife ask me how I got pregnant when breastfeeding... Try explaining that one!!

Five rounds of gel is a long induction but yes, I've looked after women in that position, I'm glad to hear that you got to have a vaginal birth after it all. I imagine a big factor in your pain the first time was that 1. induction pain is very different form spontaneous labour, more intense and 2. you will have been wrecked from all that gel, your uterus irritated etc.

People cope differently every time, depends on what position baby is in, how tired they are, if they've been eating of vomiting the entire time. Generally speaking the second comes quicker so this helps massively.

If you've had a period when breastfeeding you can get pregnant, you're only considered "covered" while you remain amenorrheac and even then it's not a guarantee. Plenty of women breastfeed while pregnant around the world, fewer here in Ireland. If you were to continue feeding throughout your pregnancy and after your second baby was born your body would produce one type of milk for your newborn and another for your older child, it's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

What do you think of elective sections? Should a section be performed when there is no medical indication? Do you think that tocophobia is becoming more common? If yes, why and how should it be dealt with?

How dependant is your practise on allied health care services like radiology and pathology? Do you ever find yourself stalled waiting for a test result? Would you prefer more bed-side testing or the central lab?

Do people ask and if they do, how do you explain, the difference between a Midwife and a Nurse?

Have you had the experience yet of being midwife for one of your colleagues (or anyone you knew)? Is it strange or uncomfortable at all, or does it make the whole experience even more special?

At what point (if any) does medical necessity override the wishes of the mother or next-of-kin? Example - say if you have a mother in labour at or close to full-term, who absolutely explicitly refuses a C Section no matter what, and the baby's father backs her up, and the Section is urgently required to save the baby's life. Maybe this has never happened in your experience, but what do you think would happen if it did, and if the parents weren't budging? Assuming the decision urgently had to be made there and then.

If you weren't a midwife, what would your alternative career choices have been?

I'm sure that these days, in the case of any birth defects etc, problems are usually identified early in the pregnancy. But have you ever had cases where a problem only becomes apparent at birth? If so, would it be your responsibility to inform the parents or the doctors' responsibility? And would the parents be told there and then in the delivery room?

Do you find your role any more difficult now that you're pregnant yourself? As it's a physical job, I'm sure being pregnant will make it more difficult that way, but I'm thinking moreso from an emotional point of view. For example, does it make it harder for you to deal with pregnant smokers or addicts, or others who you know are damaging the baby through their lifestyle choices? I imagine it must make it harder to remain objective and supportive, but maybe not!

Thanks for all the answers - very informative! :)

It's lovely to be a midwife for someone you know, provided you know them well - you don't want to look after someone you half know, that's just awkward. I'm really looking forward to being looked after by my colleagues and I'm really hoping it will be my best friend with me in labour. It's not like we're judging anyone's bits and pieces, it's all body parts. I have a close friend that does my bikini waxing too, some people find it a bit strange but I don't have an issue with it.

If something like a section is urgently required to save a babies life and the parents outright refuse then under our current constitution (which states the baby has equal right to life as the mother) a judge can be phoned and a section sanctioned over the phone, awarding the baby a ward of state in order to do so. It's not something that I know has ever definitely happened but I know it has certainly come close in a couple of cases. It has also happened that parents of babies in the NICU refuse treatment for their baby and the courts get involved, when life is at risk, as the baby is going to survive with reasonable quality of life. In the UK if a mother refuses section there is nothing that can be done about it, once she fully understands the risks to her babys life.

If I wasn't a midwife I'd love to be a baker, running my own cafe come gallery - it's all about buns in ovens!

Yes, while most birth defects are identified in advance there will always be one or two that slip through the net, we can never fully rely on technology. I've not been at the delivery of a baby with birth defects but no one jumps to any conclusions unless there is something very visible (cleft lip, for example), if we feel a baby has "dysmorphic features" we will ask the parents if the baby looks like anyone, getting a good look at the dad usually helps too and the baby will be examined over the following few hours and days for any other telltale signs of abnormality. If there is anything really suspected then the parents will be counseled and blood tests taken for genetics, these take some time to come back.

Physically it is challenging, it's harder to stretch to do certain things and the tiredness is a big factor. I don't find myself more emotional when it comes to things like smoking etc, the women I look after are all big girls and they know what they're doing can harm their baby but they have their reasons for doing it anyway. Moreso than addicts I find women not understanding the consequences of having really high blood sugar or ignoring the fact that they are diabetic in pregnancy very stressful, it's a serious thing but I'd never make anyone feel guilty for what they're doing, my role is as an educator and support person.

Hope those answer your questions!

gzoladz wrote: »
    Thanks. I supposed the question was more oriented towards how religion influences decisions in critical situations, etc

The only religion I've seen affect care situations in the last few years are women who are Jehovah's Witnesses. Some of these women will not accept blood products, even in life threatening situations. Most of the women will be taking iron therapy throughout pregnancy and have their iron level monitored closely so that if they haemorrhage they are at lower risk of requiring blood transfusion. The women discuss what they will and will not accept in the out patient department antenatally, informing us what they will and will not take.
    I have heard of cases over the years where parents will refuse blood transfusion for their baby in the unit, causing their baby to become a ward of state for the duration of the treatment. Ethically a very difficult situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Thanks so much for your answers, it's fascinating, and congratulations on your own pregnancy!
    Did you always want to be a midwife or did you consider other career paths such as nursing or becoming a doctor?

What do you think of elective sections? Should a section be performed when there is no medical indication? Do you think that tocophobia is becoming more common? If yes, why and how should it be dealt with?

How dependant is your practise on allied health care services like radiology and pathology? Do you ever find yourself stalled waiting for a test result? Would you prefer more bed-side testing or the central lab?

Do people ask and if they do, how do you explain, the difference between a Midwife and a Nurse?

There is a time and a place for elective sections. Do I think sections should be performed without medical reason - no, it makes me sad to see a woman have a scar on her uterus with no good reason, making her higher risk both in her recovery and future pregnancies. There can always be a reason found for a section, on a first time mum we rarely hear "section for maternal request", though this may be the case for repeat sections, if women do not want VBAC.
    Perhaps tocophobia is becoming more common, perhaps years ago women didn't have choice or felt they couldn't speak about things, just got on with it - I'm not saying that's better. It's hard to know how to deal with it, apart from counseling throughout pregnancy (once it's identified) and try to do some preparation for birth. I've only met two or three women with true tocophobia requiring section.

I work in a big maternity hospital so much of our testing is done on site, sometimes we have to send women to the local general hospital for tests not done in ours but this doesn't usually take more than a couple of hours, in the day time.

People rarely ask me that and refer to me as "nurse" constantly, which I say little about but find irritating. A midwife is someone who can practice autonomously as the lead carer for low risk women and their families from conception through to birth and throughout the postnatal period, meaning we need to guidance from doctors when it comes to the normal.
    I know very little about the role of a nurse to be honest, because I have never trained as one, I would be of very little use in a general hospital!

Redser87 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your answers, it's fascinating, and congratulations on your own pregnancy!
    Did you always want to be a midwife or did you consider other career paths such as nursing or becoming a doctor?

Midwifery wasn't something I always wanted to do. After leaving school, doing some travelling, working in retail and then returning home I took a job as an auxilliary nurse in the maternity hospital, did my care assistant training and gained a real interest in the role of the midwife. I undertook my training as a mature student and it's the best thing I've ever done, don't know where I'd be now if I weren't a midwife!

No interest in nursing, the wonderful thing about midwifery is how well the majority of my women are! I would not like to be a doctor, it's a long, hard slog to establish yourself at all, the hours are rubbish and the work is not nice either - as a midwife I'm an expert in the normal, doctors are only concerned with the abnormal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

no one jumps to any conclusions unless there is something very visible (cleft lip, for example), if we feel a baby has "dysmorphic features" we will ask the parents if the baby looks like anyone, getting a good look at the dad usually helps too

I actually remember this being mentioned in our antenatal classes. The midwife told us that she noticed something unusual about the baby - possibly the ears? - but when she looked at the father, it made perfect sense! :o

Is it true that women are not allowed leave the hospital without a proper car-seat? I only ask because, while I got one, it wasn't really necessary as I didn't have a car at the time. And I know many others in my situation.

What are your feelings on equipment such as Dopplers and Angelcare monitors for healthy mothers/babies? Personally I used neither, but would be interested to know your views! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Do you get much training regarding involvement and support for the birthing partner? I found my midwife excellent at getting my boyfriend involved without being pushy! I'm wondering is it something that is a big part of your training or does it come down to your own personal priorities.

Can a women make labour harder on herself? by stressing, not breathing, fighting against it, etc?

Do many women tend their 'lady-garden' prior to the birth? I ask as its something I heard people do but when I was at that stage there wasn't a hope in hell of me even attempting it!

In your experience, If a woman is over-weight and generally unfit prior to her pregnancy (we're all whales at the end!) is she more likely to require medical intervention during her birth? Conversely does being fit and healthy increase your chances of a 'normal' unassisted delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions. I recently had a baby and was thinking about a fair few of these questions while I was in hospital. Now I have the answers.

I have one question though, what happens when the woman in labour has little or no English. Is a translator involved?

Some more qs :)

Are all workers on the maternity wards midwives or are some nurses? Almost all of the people I saw were in the same uniform (white top and navy trousers) so I presume all midwives?
    What is the green top - head midwife?
    Maybe uniforms are different in all hospitals, ignore my question if so.

Excuse my ignorance but do midwives attend c sections in theatre or is it just doctors and nurses?

Are you going public or private? If public, are you happy with number of scans or will you get scans done privately?

If an anomaly scan is not done by a hospital, can conditions such as Down's syndrome be detected in regular scans? My hospital did dating scan at 12 weeks and growth scan at 31 weeks for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CiiaRawr.

Marz66 wrote: »
    Are all workers on the maternity wards midwives or are some nurses? Almost all of the people I saw were in the same uniform (white top and navy trousers) so I presume all midwives?

What is the green top - head midwife?

Maybe uniforms are different in all hospitals, ignore my question if so.

I know from being a student that the uniforms are mad confusing! I've done my placement and I don't even understand all the different colours. All I know is green trousers are usually students and navy trousers are usually midwives. That could just apply to the hospital I did my placement in. It's a great question, we'll leave the professional to answer it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

What are your thoughts on doulas?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 edison

Do you come across many ivf or other assisted reproduction pregnancies? Do the couples seem more anxious than those with a natural pregnancy, would you have an inkling before looking at the chart?
    What do you think of people starting their families later in life, particularly 40+, does it create additional pressures in the labour ward?
    I had a failed induction, (3 gels, waters broken by midwife followed by 8 hours on drip, and still no dilation), monitor showed constant contractions bit I wasn't in any pain, just felt a bit of pressure down below, is it common to not have real pain? Is it because my cervix wasn't dilating?
    Congratulations on your pregnancy and much respect on your career choice☺

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If you were to continue feeding throughout your pregnancy and after your second baby was born your body would produce one type of milk for your newborn and another for your older child, it's incredible.

Can you explain this more? Or would you have any links to information about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Neyite, Google tandem nursing. Lots of information out there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Whats the longest you have known of anyone breast feeding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement