Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To A Midwife

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    Neyite, Google tandem nursing. Lots of information out there. :)

I've read up on this myself. From everything I've read, it's perfectly OK and healthy to tandem nurse. But the milk will be tailored to the younger baby. The older baby's nutritional needs will be met by default, but (to the best of my knowledge, and I stand to be corrected) it's actually a myth that the mother produces different milk for each of the two babies. They are drinking the exact same milk.

Obviously human milk tailored towards a newborn is still better for an older baby than cows milk tailored towards a calf.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Neyite, Google tandem nursing. Lots of information out there. :)

I know what tandem nursing is. :)

I wanted to know more about the two types of milk for both newborn and toddler because its something that I've never heard of before this thread. And that is coming from a family of breast-feeders, many of whom tandem nursed.

I don't understand how its possible that the body 'knows' which child they are feeding, so that is what I was looking for more information on. If you can provide that information, I'd be very happy to learn more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

I've read up on this myself. From everything I've read, it's perfectly OK and healthy to tandem nurse. But the milk will be tailored to the younger baby. The older baby's nutritional needs will be met by default, but (to the best of my knowledge, and I stand to be corrected) it's actually a myth that the mother produces different milk for each of the two babies. They are drinking the exact same milk.

Obviously human milk tailored towards a newborn is still better for an older baby than cows milk tailored towards a calf.

I believe you're correct. I think the exception of course is colostrum, which is why it's recommended that the newborn feed first in the first week or so. Perhaps she meant colostrum as the second kind of milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Neyite wrote: »
    Can you explain this more? Or would you have any links to information about it?

+1 this fact has blown my mind (in a good way)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Have you had any experience with babys born with pyelectasis at all?
    I know the Health service is pretty stretched at the moment, it must be tough with the lack of dr's around even the delivery wards. I know I spent 2 hours waiting to be sutured last time, and while the midwives were lovely and tried numerous times to get the SHO to come, it was pretty horrible waiting that long. Hopefully this time 1)I wont need them or 2)there's someone about.
    How do you feel about natural placental delivery versus the injection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Thanks a million for all the answers :)
    I'm loving this AMA!

Is rooming in practically and actively encouraged in your hospital? Or is there an unofficial nursery?

Do you feel that there is enough done to support those that choose to bottlefeed: in picking formulas, what to do if the formula doesn't suit?

Women from the travelling community aren't allowed to breastfeed until the results of the heel prick are in: is this ever an issue do you think, or do most prefer to bottle feed? Especially considering the NHS doesn't haven't the same rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭volchitsa

This makes sense, I really can't see how it could be otherwise. Tbh, my mind is a bit blown by the idea of tandem feeding at all - I think it's brilliant, but I can't quite get my head around being able to provide so much milk! But well done to anyone who does it.

I've been reading this thread and really enjoying it, even though my pregnancy and breastfeeding-days are long over now (my youngest is nearly 14) - but it's been lovely seeing this, really made me nostalgic!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 I'm A Midwife, AMA

Is it true that women are not allowed leave the hospital without a proper car-seat? I only ask because, while I got one, it wasn't really necessary as I didn't have a car at the time. And I know many others in my situation.

What are your feelings on equipment such as Dopplers and Angelcare monitors for healthy mothers/babies? Personally I used neither, but would be interested to know your views! :)

Yes, babies must leave the hospital in a proper car seat, that is an EU regulation. Some taxis will supply them if you ask in advance so it's not always necessary to purchase one.

While the Angelcare monitors definitely provide some reassurance to mums and dads I don't think they are necessary for low risk babies. I don't agree with women having Dopplers at home, they can provide massive stress and a false security, you need to know what you're listening to when you're using them.
    sonners wrote: »
    Do you get much training regarding involvement and support for the birthing partner? I found my midwife excellent at getting my boyfriend involved without being pushy! I'm wondering is it something that is a big part of your training or does it come down to your own personal priorities.

Can a women make labour harder on herself? by stressing, not breathing, fighting against it, etc?

Do many women tend their 'lady-garden' prior to the birth? I ask as its something I heard people do but when I was at that stage there wasn't a hope in hell of me even attempting it!

In your experience, If a woman is over-weight and generally unfit prior to her pregnancy (we're all whales at the end!) is she more likely to require medical intervention during her birth? Conversely does being fit and healthy increase your chances of a 'normal' unassisted delivery?

When we learn in college about supporting women through labour of course we are always encouraged to involve the partners by talking to them, helping them with massage etc. The real training for labour comes when you're on placement, supporting women and their partners, it is fairly dependent on personality really - every student has their own ideas, as do every midwife that's training them, you find your own way in the end. I like to involve the partner as much as possible, some of them sit on the chair, looking at their phone and I wonder why they're there.

Yes, women can make labour very hard on themselves. Lying on your back in labour is one of the worst things you can do, physiologically (working against gravity) and pain wise, I imagine it's horrific, many women stick themselves to the bed and lie, very distressed with pains and even when we encourage them to get up or even turn to the side, they refuse, despite our knowing it would be somewhat easier for them.

Lots of women tend to their "lady garden" prior to labour, it makes very little difference to us as midwives though. I don't like it when women have freshly applied tan before they come in, because I don't like the smell of it!

If a woman is morbidly obese she is more likely to have a Caesarean Section, yes. Saying that, I've looked after women who are very large and have had no problems pushing their baby out. I think being very fit and healthy entering into pregnancy is a big advantage, I was on a diet before I got pregnant and remain as active as possible now. It's impossible to say for certain, until someone is in labour really.

bovril wrote: »
    I have one question though, what happens when the woman in labour has little or no English. Is a translator involved?

If the womans birthing partner has good English then a translator may not be required but sometimes we will have a translator stay with a woman throughout her labour, to allow her to give informed consent for examinations etc.
    Marz66 wrote: »
    Some more qs :)

Are all workers on the maternity wards midwives or are some nurses? Almost all of the people I saw were in the same uniform (white top and navy trousers) so I presume all midwives?
    What is the green top - head midwife?
    Maybe uniforms are different in all hospitals, ignore my question if so.

Excuse my ignorance but do midwives attend c sections in theatre or is it just doctors and nurses?

Are you going public or private? If public, are you happy with number of scans or will you get scans done privately?

If an anomaly scan is not done by a hospital, can conditions such as Down's syndrome be detected in regular scans? My hospital did dating scan at 12 weeks and growth scan at 31 weeks for example.
    What are your thoughts on doulas?

Some of the staff on the wards are trained as both nurses and midwives, while non-midwife nurses may look after women after birth, they cannot look after pregnant women.

Uniforms are different in every hospital.

At a C-section you will have doctors, theatre nurses and a midwife to monitor and take the baby.

I am attending publicly, I'm a massive believer in public health care. I am happy with my dating scan and anomaly scan, that's enough for me, unless medically necessary I don't really need/want my baby scanned, it's just a personal thing.

It is unfortunate that so many hospitals around the country do not offer anomaly scan. Certain conditions may be picked up without the scan - size of the bump, monitoring fetal movements etc. A condition like Downs Syndrome may not be picked up on scan at all, though at a growth scan they will look at the heart and the brain, even briefly, and if soft markers are noticed a more detailed scan will be ordered. I understand women paying for anomaly scan if the hospital doesn't provide one, I think I would do that myself.

bovril wrote: »
    I have one question though, what happens when the woman in labour has little or no English. Is a translator involved?

If the womans birthing partner has good English then a translator may not be required but sometimes we will have a translator stay with a woman throughout her labour, to allow her to give informed consent for examinations etc.
    Marz66 wrote: »
    Some more qs :)

Are all workers on the maternity wards midwives or are some nurses? Almost all of the people I saw were in the same uniform (white top and navy trousers) so I presume all midwives?
    What is the green top - head midwife?
    Maybe uniforms are different in all hospitals, ignore my question if so.

Excuse my ignorance but do midwives attend c sections in theatre or is it just doctors and nurses?

Are you going public or private? If public, are you happy with number of scans or will you get scans done privately?

If an anomaly scan is not done by a hospital, can conditions such as Down's syndrome be detected in regular scans? My hospital did dating scan at 12 weeks and growth scan at 31 weeks for example.

Some of the staff on the wards are trained as both nurses and midwives, while non-midwife nurses may look after women after birth, they cannot look after pregnant women.

Uniforms are different in every hospital.

At a C-section you will have doctors, theatre nurses and a midwife to monitor and take the baby.

I am attending publicly, I'm a massive believer in public health care. I am happy with my dating scan and anomaly scan, that's enough for me, unless medically necessary I don't really need/want my baby scanned, it's just a personal thing.

It is unfortunate that so many hospitals around the country do not offer anomaly scan. Certain conditions may be picked up without the scan - size of the bump, monitoring fetal movements etc. A condition like Downs Syndrome may not be picked up on scan at all, though at a growth scan they will look at the heart and the brain, even briefly, and if soft markers are noticed a more detailed scan will be ordered. I understand women paying for anomaly scan if the hospital doesn't provide one, I think I would do that myself.
    What are your thoughts on doulas?

Doulas certainly have a place, if a woman has a good relationship with her doula and it allows her to feel empowered to speak up for what she would like in labour I think that's great. As midwives we like to build a relationship with our women and sometimes the presence of a doula may interfere with that somewhat. In many units the woman is only permitted to have one birthing partner, making it necessary to choose between doula and partner, which I think must be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

As a midwife too and doula I can see both sides. Unfortunately midwives are often too busy to provide that emotional support and we can't be at home with the women providing that support when they really need it. It is the part of the job that we really love. But the clinical care comes first....documentation etc...they can be hugely helpful especially when it's busy. The doula is a continuous presence whereas us midwives have to take our breaks...(if we're lucky) and we go home when our shift ends....and mum has to start all over with a new midwife which is really disruptive to a mum who is labouring really well. Most of the hospitals now admit doulas as well as the birth partner once it's been approved. A doula who is a true team player definitely makes our lives so much easier and they definitely fill a gap when we're trying to keep up with the paperwork. Plus there's a mountain of evidence these days that continuous care provided by a birth partner who is not employed by the hospital improves outcomes.

edison wrote: »
    Do you come across many ivf or other assisted reproduction pregnancies? Do the couples seem more anxious than those with a natural pregnancy, would you have an inkling before looking at the chart?
    What do you think of people starting their families later in life, particularly 40+, does it create additional pressures in the labour ward?
    I had a failed induction, (3 gels, waters broken by midwife followed by 8 hours on drip, and still no dilation), monitor showed constant contractions bit I wasn't in any pain, just felt a bit of pressure down below, is it common to not have real pain? Is it because my cervix wasn't dilating?
    Congratulations on your pregnancy and much respect on your career choice☺

Yes, there are many many couples with assisted conception nowadays. While every baby is precious, those IVF babies are EXTRA precious, especially as they couple may have been trying for some time and often have high risk pregnancies.
    Hard to know before looking in the chart, I meet lots of people who are anxious with a spontaneous pregnancy.
    I think the decision to start a family at any stage in life is very difficult, I was certainly thinking very hard about it and I'm nowhere near 40. I had discussed with my OH that if we for some reason couldn't get pregnant that I wouldn't be willing to go through IVF (I have friends who have and it's very tough) and that if we couldn't have a baby we might live a very nice life with plenty of holidays and enjoy being the aunt and uncle that everyone loves - also a very important role. However, we were lucky to get pregnant very quickly and have not had to make that decision. I couldn't make that call for anyone else until in that position, it must be so difficult to long for a child and see time tick by.
    It doesn't necessarily make things more difficult for us in the labour ward but women over 40 are generally induced prior to or at their due date, they are considered very high risk if they go much over.

You may not have felt any huge amount of pains as you say because your cervix wasn't dilating, that sounds a likely explanation. It sounds like you had a long, hard aul slog, you must've been wrecked by the time you met your baby!
    Neyite wrote: »
    Can you explain this more? Or would you have any links to information about it?

I don't know how to explain it, I've even asked lactation consultants about it! It has been seen though that women who feed an older baby from one side and a new baby from the other side can express breastmilk and get completely different milk from either side - different colour, consistency, volume. There is an extended breastfeeding group on FB where I'm sure you could find great info if it's something you're thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CiiaRawr.

I'm a first year midwifery student through direct entry. So far, I absolutely adore the course and my placement! We've lost 3 out of 20 ladies in my class so far so I consider myself lucky that I'm so enthusiastic about my future as a midwife!

Have you any advice for a trainee midwife?

Love the answers so far by the way. I can strangely relate to some of them already!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I've heard that us Irish ladies give birth to the biggest babies in Europe.
    Is this true?
    Have Irish new-born babies gotten heavier over the years?
    If it is true, is it a good thing or a bad thing? What do you put it down to?
    And (and I'm asking this as the mom, with a healthy weight, of two big weight babies) does it relate to maternal weight pre-birth?

Ginny wrote: »
    Have you had any experience with babys born with pyelectasis at all?
    I know the Health service is pretty stretched at the moment, it must be tough with the lack of dr's around even the delivery wards. I know I spent 2 hours waiting to be sutured last time, and while the midwives were lovely and tried numerous times to get the SHO to come, it was pretty horrible waiting that long. Hopefully this time 1)I wont need them or 2)there's someone about.
    How do you feel about natural placental delivery versus the injection?

I've seen pyelectasis on many ultrasound reports, I may have only looked after a small number of babies with it in postnatal. We observe for urine output (as we do with all newborns) and baby will be examined and followed up by senior paed staff.

It's terrible when a woman has had a nice birth only to have to wait for suturing, and you're right, as midwives we try and try but if there are emergencies that have to be attended there's often little we can do to speed up the process. More and more midwives are suturing now which not only means women don't have to wait as long for someone to suture but often means proper continuity of care for the women.

For low risk women with spontaneous labour and birth I see nothing wrong with physiological management of the third stage, delayed cord clamping is certainly beneficial to the baby, both short term with extra weight and long term with higher iron level.
    cyning wrote: »

Is rooming in practically and actively encouraged in your hospital? Or is there an unofficial nursery?

Do you feel that there is enough done to support those that choose to bottlefeed: in picking formulas, what to do if the formula doesn't suit?

Women from the travelling community aren't allowed to breastfeed until the results of the heel prick are in: is this ever an issue do you think, or do most prefer to bottle feed? Especially considering the NHS doesn't haven't the same rule.

Rooming in is actively encouraged where I work, often to the dismay of some mums. If a mum is wrecked but cannot sleep because she's busy watching her baby or baby is unsettled and bottle feeding we may take the baby for a feed, allow it to settle and return it to her while hopefully she is sleeping. For breastfeeding women we support them to feed in different positions and try to rest as much as possible.

We cannot promote one type of formula over another for a mum who has chosen to bottle feed, only tell her the choices we offer in alphabetical order, many will know which formula they want to feed with before they come in, based on what their sister/friend used. We support mums in terms of feeding positions, education about how to sterilise and make feeds etc. It's unlikely that if a formula doesn't suit it will present in the first couple of days, when the baby is in the hospital.

It is true that women from the travelling community are encouraged to feed only with the soy feed until the results of the Beutler come back, you're right that this is not the case in the UK and I don't know why it's so different. In my experience I've met one lady from the travelling community who was having her seventh baby and wanted to breastfeed, the Beutler test came back the day after the baby was born and she breastfed from then, she was very understanding about waiting for the result, had no problem with it. The many many other women I've looked after have not wished to breastfeed, though that's not to tar everyone with the same brush, I've looked after women from the travelling community whos babies are in the NICU and they will express milk while their baby is there - along with many settled women who don't originally intend on breastfeeding.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Why did you want to be a midwife?
    How do you deal with looking at lady parts all day everyday?
    Would you become a midwife again if you could go back?
    Male midwives, do women find it awkward or are not happy to deal, what percentage would you estimate of the midwife profession in Ireland are male?
    How would you convince someone to become a midwife who was considering it as a career option?

I wanted to become a midwife after working in the area and taking a great interest in the work that the midwives were doing.

I have my own lady parts and as such do not find them offensive to look at. I work on a ward with pregnant women so I mostly look at bumps (which are all beautiful) and don't end up needing to examine women vaginally every day.

I would absolutely become a midwife again, I'm lucky enough to do what I consider to be the best job in the whole world.

I don't think women do find it strange with male midwives, in my experience anyway. Up until about ten years ago 70% of the obstetricians and gynaecologists were male and no one seemed to think this unusual. Hard to know what percentage of male midwives there are, less than 1% anyway.

I don't know about convincing someone to become a midwife, it's the type of job that you have to want to do yourself. It's not done for the money or being a cushy number. If someone was considering it I'd tell them how much I love it, how thankful I am every day to be in such a position of privilege, not everyone has job satisfaction like that. I'd also tell them that it's four years or eighteen months (if they're already a nurse) of extremely hard work to qualify, I wouldn't send someone into it with rose tinted glasses, there is a harsh reality to the nature of the work, the hours, the study involved, continuous learning and development etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 giuly

Hi I m just wondering would having an abdominal hernia cause miscarriage or problems during delivery? What k8nd of delivery would be reccomended? Thank you

CiiaRawr. wrote: »
    Have you any advice for a trainee midwife?

When you're on your placements find a midwife that you really admire for the way that she works, even if she's not your preceptor, try to be like her.
    Read random articles whenever you have the time, you may not feel they are relevant to what you're doing right now but you will retain the information. Whenever I had a Saturday off I just used to go into the college library and pick up a pile of journals and just sit and go through them, reading the articles, taking notes from time to time.
    Call me Al wrote: »
    I've heard that us Irish ladies give birth to the biggest babies in Europe.
    Is this true?
    Have Irish new-born babies gotten heavier over the years?
    If it is true, is it a good thing or a bad thing? What do you put it down to?
    And (and I'm asking this as the mom, with a healthy weight, of two big weight babies) does it relate to maternal weight pre-birth?

Women here do have fairly big babies, average first baby is 7lb 12oz (3.5kg), which is a nice size.

In the last few years I've seen babies get bigger overall, though many still fall in that "average" bracket.

There has been an increase in macrosomic babies - over 4.5kg, those babies may be difficult to give birth to, resulting in sections, instrumentals etc, can also lead to bleeding after the birth, because the uterus is stretched. They can be related to the big increase in diabetes in the general population and the pregnant population, women eating less healthy food, more convenience based diets, sedentary lifestyle etc.

The weight of the baby doesn't relate to the mothers weight pre birth necessarily, as I say many of the babies fall into the average bracket, there will always be the extremes, a tiny woman who always pushed out 10lb babies and the big lady whos babies are 6lb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Are men still treated like dirt in maternity hospitals?

We were in Holles Street for the birth of our second child, nine years ago and we weren't allowed to sit on the bed to support our partners.

Also, there was a toilet every second door for women but only one, yes one in the whole hospital for men. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks and was disgusting. (At the time the was a huge MRSI scare and we were constantly warned about cleanliness).

Do you know if this has improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Are there any guidelines given to midwives on what to advise breastfeeding mothers to eat? When we had our first nearly 8 years ago my wife was absolutely determined to breastfeed. Helpfully each midwife/nurse tried to advise us on what was good/bad to eat. The thing is no two had the same ideas as to what was good or bad and sometimes they were contradictory. Looking back we can laugh at it but at the times as first time parents earnestly trying to do our best it was very frustrating to get such contradictory advice. In the end we ignored it all but I've wondered since if there were any actual guidelines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We have an impending arrival on the way (we are actually 1 week over today)

1. We want to have instant skin to skin contact between baby and mother (permitting) or father, is this a regular request in Ireland, is it allowed?

2. Do you often encounter parents and think, these people shouldn't be having children (for whatever reason)

3. You're doing a great job. And maybe your not thanked enough as parents are probably under an immense amount of stress during the birth of their child, so Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 missmolly3

For my own birth I want to keep an open mind, ideally I would like to go into labour myself, though my mother had three inductions for being overdue, I will be employing hypnobirthing techniques and listening to my music as much as possible. I'd like to stay home as long as possible and remain upright and mobile. Ideally I would like to avoid an epidural, I hate the idea of someone putting a massive needle into my spine and having to sit super still while in pain to allow them to do it, though if I'm tired and I'm not coping then I'll absolutely get one. All going well I'd like to have the cord left intact for 2-4minutes and keep baby skin to skin for as long as possible. I'm happy for my baby to have vitamin K injection and I'm going to breastfeed.

really interesting thread and great answers - thank you.

My question concerns your own choice to leave the cord intact for 2-4 minutes - what's the reasoning behind that? is there a greater benefit to baby to leave the cord in place and is that a practice a delivery team will generally facilitate for an "ordinary joe" or are they more likely to want to get the whole process wrapped up fairly quickly?
    thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Have you worked with any Male Midwives during your career so far (or training before that)?

Apologies if this has already been asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I have no question but want to thank you (and all midwives) for doing such a wonderful job. Had great midwives for the birth of my first (great laugh and catching skills) and am sure will have the same again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What emotions do you go through when you deliver a stillbirth or a baby who will die shortly after birth?

How are those labours different to the "normal presumed safe delivery" labours?

Can you say what happens in each of those cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Is it hard to maintain a poker-face when someone wants to name their child something really dreadful? Would you ever try to gently steer them away from the name?

In cases where women choose to have a female birth partner (e.g. mother, sister, doula, friend, etc), do you find that the dynamic is much different if it ends up that it's only women there for the labour and birth?

giuly wrote: »
    Hi I m just wondering would having an abdominal hernia cause miscarriage or problems during delivery? What k8nd of delivery would be reccomended? Thank you

I couldn't possibly answer your question, I'm really sorry. I would advise you to ask your GP, they can refer you to an obstetrician if you feel that's necessary.
    Are men still treated like dirt in maternity hospitals?

We were in Holles Street for the birth of our second child, nine years ago and we weren't allowed to sit on the bed to support our partners.

Also, there was a toilet every second door for women but only one, yes one in the whole hospital for men. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks and was disgusting. (At the time the was a huge MRSI scare and we were constantly warned about cleanliness).

Do you know if this has improved?

I'm sorry to hear that you feel you were treated like dirt. We do not allow partners to sit on the bed for reasons of infection control and yes, while there are many womens toilets there are three for the men, I work in a womens hospital.
    Clearlier wrote: »
    Are there any guidelines given to midwives on what to advise breastfeeding mothers to eat? When we had our first nearly 8 years ago my wife was absolutely determined to breastfeed. Helpfully each midwife/nurse tried to advise us on what was good/bad to eat. The thing is no two had the same ideas as to what was good or bad and sometimes they were contradictory. Looking back we can laugh at it but at the times as first time parents earnestly trying to do our best it was very frustrating to get such contradictory advice. In the end we ignored it all but I've wondered since if there were any actual guidelines?

There aren't strict guidelines for women who are breastfeeding on what to eat. Women can return to their pre-pregnancy diet, you don't need to restrict anything, apart form alcohol and caffiene (though some is ok), I always advise women to try keep a food diary for a few weeks and should their baby be particularly windy on a couple of occasions have a look back through what they've eaten and see if something may be causing it. Breastfeeding is the time to eat for two, the body burns so many calories, providing food for another human!
    It is a common problem that parents get conflicting advice unfortunately.

We have an impending arrival on the way (we are actually 1 week over today)

1. We want to have instant skin to skin contact between baby and mother (permitting) or father, is this a regular request in Ireland, is it allowed?

2. Do you often encounter parents and think, these people shouldn't be having children (for whatever reason)

3. You're doing a great job. And maybe your not thanked enough as parents are probably under an immense amount of stress during the birth of their child, so Thank You.

Congratulations!

Skin to skin is encouraged in the delivery suite and postnatal wards, as much as you want. The only reason the midwives will move the baby is to weigh it, this shouldn't take more than 30 seconds. They can complete the head to toe check when baby is on your chest. It's better for baby and you to keep the two of you together for the first skin to skin session, a couple of hours later and in the days and weeks that follow your partner can enjoy skin to skin.

Sometimes I do wonder about people, I wouldn't be human if I didn't. If there are any real concerns we can always contact social workers or mental health team about the family, or just sit and have a good chat with them, which usually clarifies things.

Thank you!
    missmolly3 wrote: »

really interesting thread and great answers - thank you.

My question concerns your own choice to leave the cord intact for 2-4 minutes - what's the reasoning behind that? is there a greater benefit to baby to leave the cord in place and is that a practice a delivery team will generally facilitate for an "ordinary joe" or are they more likely to want to get the whole process wrapped up fairly quickly?
    thanks!

The reasoning behind it is that the baby will get all the blood from the placenta and cord, in the immediate this is seen to increase babys birth weight by 80g and in the long term baby will maintain a higher iron level. I'd like the baby to have at least two minutes and after four minutes it's seen that the baby will have all the benefit.
    Leaving the cord intact for at least a couple of minutes has become more commonplace in the last few years, provided baby is well, certainly in the two places I've worked.
    Have you worked with any Male Midwives during your career so far (or training before that)?

Apologies if this has already been asked.

I've worked with a few in both my career and training.

What emotions do you go through when you deliver a stillbirth or a baby who will die shortly after birth?

How are those labours different to the "normal presumed safe delivery" labours?

Can you say what happens in each of those cases?

It's very upsetting, you feel for the family, put yourself in their place.

The labour of a still born baby is different in that we are not monitoring the baby, only mums observations and making sure she is in as little pain or discomfort as possible. There wont be any time limits or expected progress with the labour of a still born baby, we just let the mums body do the work as much as possible.
    Is it hard to maintain a poker-face when someone wants to name their child something really dreadful? Would you ever try to gently steer them away from the name?

In cases where women choose to have a female birth partner (e.g. mother, sister, doula, friend, etc), do you find that the dynamic is much different if it ends up that it's only women there for the labour and birth?

Some names are a bit mad, though to be honest I like the individual names, I'm more likely to try and prevent myself from rolling my eyes when I hear someone say they're calling their the most popular name that I've already heard twice that week.

When it comes to birthing partners I don't care if they are male and female, provided they are useful to the woman in labour. It is nice to have an all female dynamic though, makes me feel like I'm in the book The Red Tent (highly recommend) - I work in such a female centric world really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

What are some of those names that you hear all the time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement