Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monread heights Naas

Options
  • 13-01-2015 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi

My family and I are thinking of buying a house in Monread Heights in Naas Co. Kildare. We are not from the area and are looking for local info on the area. Does it have good schools? Is the neighborhood nice? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I cant vouch particularly for Monread Hieghts as an estate, but location wise it is good
    It is located near the park, probably far enough away from the playground area which can be a source of noise at night from teenagers hanging around.
    Which part of Monread Heights is the house?
    Some of the ones located further awy from the Sallins Rd look a little run down on that particular street, I'd be more in favour of the ones that you turn left into as you immediately come off the Sallins Rd onto Monread Ave
    There is a primary school 5 min walk thro the park beside the GAA called Scoil Bhride. Mixed.
    Sent both my boys through there, one started in their very first year of opening and the 2nd is in 6th class. School has very good facilities.
    There is a convent for girls beside the main Church heading into the town, both primary & secondary
    Boys CBS at top of town and Pipers Hill mixed secondary further out the Kilcullen Rd where my eldest goes
    There is a gael scoil also out at Pipers Hill campus
    Best time to check out the area would be at weekends
    I dont think Mon Heights is near the Lodge/Londis/Chipper up the rd which can also be a haven for teenagers hanging out

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Monread Heights is a mixed development of over 200 homes that were built at different stages hence the varied house type.
    I used rent there & there were many rented houses, you need to check after 6pm some evenings cause there could be 4 cars outside each house makes for fun in the morning.
    Otherwise it was a fine estate with very little trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 m8tie

Thanks for the info guys. Think we may go ahead. Area seems lovely with a nice park and not bothered by houses with renters I was one of thone myself. You have both been very helpful I appreciate you taking the time out to reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

The whole area is a fantastic place to live

I live the other side of the park. Have 5 kids so have at one point or another had a child in every school apart from girls secondary. Schools are excellent.
    I meet quite a few people from Monread Heights when out walking dog and know a few there. It's a grand estate.
    Other than shopping, Naas has everything. There is a gym with pool across the park from you. Tesco and the Monread Centre as well as Aldi are 5 mins away. Plenty of doctors surgeries, I use Sallins Medical Centre as there are good doctors and a nurse practitioner.
    For shopping, you have Smyths toy store down the road which is so important when you have small kids. Woodies, B&Q, PC World etc etc. Loads of car dealerships all over the town. Petrol in Naas is a tad expensive compared to other areas.
    For other shopping, Kildare Village and Whitewater in Newbridge are a short drive. You are a few mins from the N7/M7 which is great.
    There are tons of things within an hours drive or less for you to do with the kids during holidays and weekends.
    People in Naas, well everyone I know I have met through my kids at school or walking my dog. Quite friendly people. It's a commuter town.
    There is an Odeon cinema with cut price Wednesday films. Loads of Cafes and Restaurants.
    If you have any specific questions about the area and amenities, fire away and we will do our best to answer.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info derekeire getting a bit excited now seems like a lovely area for families from what you and the other posters. Might be in touch for more local info as we progress :) thanks again

I live the other side of the park. Have 5 kids so have at one point or another had a child in every school apart from girls secondary. Schools are excellent.
    I meet quite a few people from Monread Heights when out walking dog and know a few there. It's a grand estate.
    Other than shopping, Naas has everything. There is a gym with pool across the park from you. Tesco and the Monread Centre as well as Aldi are 5 mins away. Plenty of doctors surgeries, I use Sallins Medical Centre as there are good doctors and a nurse practitioner.
    For shopping, you have Smyths toy store down the road which is so important when you have small kids. Woodies, B&Q, PC World etc etc. Loads of car dealerships all over the town. Petrol in Naas is a tad expensive compared to other areas.
    For other shopping, Kildare Village and Whitewater in Newbridge are a short drive. You are a few mins from the N7/M7 which is great.
    There are tons of things within an hours drive or less for you to do with the kids during holidays and weekends.
    People in Naas, well everyone I know I have met through my kids at school or walking my dog. Quite friendly people. It's a commuter town.
    There is an Odeon cinema with cut price Wednesday films. Loads of Cafes and Restaurants.
    If you have any specific questions about the area and amenities, fire away and we will do our best to answer.

For petrol, avoid the ones on Sallins Rd and main Rd
    Applegreen on far side of town is usually cheapest or else go to Esso at Kill

Dont forget to add many sports clubs in Naas for kids

My 2 lads have been involved in the GAA club since they were 5 which is 10min walk from Monread Heights, there are also 2 soccer clubs in the town for juvenile, Naas AFC and Naas Utd (both my lads in Naas AFC). Also Camogie, hurling aswell if thats your interest. Hockey far side of town at Naas Caragh Sports Centre with athletics club aswell (Naas AFC based there) and plenty martial arts.
    Spoiled for restaurants and cafes aswell and bars
    Monread Lodge is 5 min walk from your house if you are looking for a local or handy pint within walking distance

My only concern was the estate and the amount of renters, but if that doesnt bother you then location wise its spot on

i think if the house number is lower its further away from the pub,shop which is slightly better
    the houses from 177 upwards are probably less desirable imo location wise

Fantastic will Def want to get my son involved in GAA sounds like the area ticks loads of boxes thanks for your reply

m8tie wrote: »
    Fantastic will Def want to get my son involved in GAA sounds like the area ticks loads of boxes thanks for your reply

Football will start back mid to end feb when the pitches open up

they are closed now until weather picks up

what age is your lad?

if under 9 or 10, they train at the club sunday mornings, usually about 9:15 to 11

bring him up to the lad on the steps in front of club house sitting at the small table (Charlie White) and they'll sort him to his age group, registeations for 2015 will begin then and matches start mid march if he is old enough

Hi my son is nearly 3 :) so he has a while yet :) great info to know though thanks Lex

• Advertisement

Hi my son is nearly 3 :) so he has a while yet :) great info to know though thanks Lex

they take them from about 5 so loads of time, good luck with the house if you get it

Hi All,

Wondering if you could help me again! We are in contract stage with house and have found out that the roads etc in the estate are not serviced by Kildare CoCo. I am trying to find out any information on who looks after the estate (still waiting to hear back from vendor). Do any of you have any information on this? Google searches are not coming to much.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi All,

Wondering if you could help me again! We are in contract stage with house and have found out that the roads etc in the estate are not serviced by Kildare CoCo. I am trying to find out any information on who looks after the estate (still waiting to hear back from vendor). Do any of you have any information on this? Google searches are not coming to much.

Thanks!

There should be a management company or similar - some remnant of when the houses where built that does it. Kildare CC are very slow to take change of estates - here's a recent update from one councilor on the latest estates to be taken over - http://robertpower.ie/2015/02/10/kildare-estates-taken-in-charge/
    (No affiliation - just the first hit in Google, as I saw a note in the door recently about some of the local estates - I live in another estate nearby.)

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's more likely the developer, who may no longer exist, is nominally still liable. Management companies are rare for non gated estates in Kildare. Usually it means a residents association do some work voluntarily until the council eventually take over.

I'd guess a current resident can confirm the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

L1011 wrote: »
    Management companies are rare for non gated estates in Kildare.

Not in my (limited) experience. Both my current house (in Naas) and previous house (in Celbridge) had management companies - neither gated. Both build since 2000, perhaps age of the estate is also a factor?

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd say you've been unlucky more than anything! Brand new estates are still being built without them.

Don't think one of the 30+ estates I looked at buying in across the county had one, 1930s to new build.

Thanks guys. It was built in 1989 and building company no longer exists. Can't find anything out About it. Will have to wait for their response Or knock on a neighbours door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭babs.jones

Thanks guys. It was built in 1989 and building company no longer exists. Can't find anything out About it. Will have to wait for their response Or knock on a neighbours door :)

Hi
    Just came across this post. I live in monread heights (above 177) its slowly becoming a more family less rented estate. And i have to say i love it. Not any trouble at all and the park is right beside us. We have a 3 yr old and 10 yr old. We moved in 10 years ago. There are many kids on our road now and its great for them accept for the cars.. but youll get that anywhere
    As for kcc taking it over im still waiting to hear from them. Did you get anywhere??
    If you want more info or any questions just ask.

Hi babs,

Pleased to say we bought the house and are loving the area :). I have emails from 3 Councillors saying there is a project in place to bring all estates in Naas under charge of Kildare county council. I also went to the council offices who confirmed this (although they wouldn't put it in writing for me). They said Monrerad Heights was on their project list but wouldn't confirm dates. They said there is a backlog of estate being taken under change since the change from Naas CC to Kildare cc. So hopefully it won't take too long :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Hope you don't mind me dragging up this thread to ask a couple of questions. There is a lovely bungalow for sale in the section of Monread Heights that is the first turn left off Mondread Avenue as you turn off the Sallins Road.

I have visited at various times of day and have seen no children at all in the few roads in this section. Is that a fair assessment, or were they all just hiding? :)

Also, the boundary of the side of the house and garden is along the path through the park as it narrows heading back towards the avenue. I notice a lot of graffiti on some of the boundary walls. Is this (or any part of the park) a known hot-spot for anti-social activity?

Finally, it is obvious that the estate has not been looked after and I realise that KCC are due to take it in charge. Does that simply mean grass cutting?

• Advertisement
Advertisement