Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop

Options
  • 13-01-2015 7:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

laptop gets hot around keyboard sign comes up saying its to busy to much stuff running it gets all jammed up and wont change pages or anything its 22 years old is it done thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

done n dusted I'd say:D 22yrs really! wow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 paul1969

sorry i meant 2 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

How much space is left on the hard drive, what is running at startup....has there been any regular scans or virus protection used when connected to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

paul1969 wrote: »
    laptop gets hot around keyboard sign comes up saying its to busy to much stuff running it gets all jammed up and wont change pages or anything its 22 years old is it done thanks

Can you put your hand by the outlet vent in the laptop when the fan is blowing. Can you hear it? Can you feel it blowing hot air? If it feels weak, there may be dust and debris in the fan and/or vent. Used carefully, sometimes a vacuum cleaner can clean it up and resolve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Open Task Manager and look at what is using all the cpu ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Click Start >>Run, type MSConfig and press Enter. Click on the Startup tab, and disable stuff that may be autostarting that you dont need. Should speed up the machine a bit. Also, if its running hot its likely that the fan is clogged with dirt, as the person above said.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This should be easily fixable. Laptop probably has far too many processes starting on startup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭mrolaf

buy a new laptop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

mrolaf wrote: »
    buy a new laptop

Are you on a commission or something?

A 2 year old laptop slowing down just needs a bit of a clear out.

mrolaf wrote: »
    buy a new laptop

This answer to this type of question is something that I will never understand. So many people I know just throw their laptops out the minute something minor goes wrong, rather than getting it repaired. I have 8 and 9 year old machines at home which do everything I want them to do. Laptops have a great lifespan if you make even a small effort to keep them running cleanly and properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Do a fresh install of the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

IrlMonk wrote: »
    Do a fresh install of the OS.

Without more info from the OP, I wouldn't go straight to this solution. A lot of hassle when there are other steps that can be taken before having to go that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Without more info from the OP, I wouldn't go straight to this solution. A lot of hassle when there are other steps that can be taken before having to go that far.

I would disagree,
    If the laptop has alot of crap on it you will spend far more time sorting the issue out if it is software related.
    A fresh install will sort all issues out within a few hours and you know exactly were you stand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 paul1969

it says it has 3.3 of a rating dont really know what im looking at think it should be 5.5 gaming seems to be problem thanks

From what you've been saying, I would reinstall the OS. Get rid of all the crap thats running, which will also help the temperature situation because the CPU wont be screaming all the time. If you're not confident enough to do this yourself, it should be a simple job for any local PC shop. If you're in the south Dublin area, drop me a PM and I'll sort it out quickly enough for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

IrlMonk wrote: »
    I would disagree,
    If the laptop has alot of crap on it you will spend far more time sorting the issue out if it is software related.
    A fresh install will sort all issues out within a few hours and you know exactly were you stand.

In most cases if you factory restore using the pre-installed image the crapware will also be deployed. You could download a clean 7 iso image but it's a good bit of work, then you have the driver hunting. I would agree with Alanstrainor that this would be a last resort for me as well.
    On a sidenote the PC Decrapifier is an excellent tool for bulk removing the junk manufacturers preload, you can use it on a mature OS install as well :)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    In most cases if you factory restore using the pre-installed image the crapware will also be deployed. You could download a clean 7 iso image but it's a good bit of work, then you have the driver hunting. I would agree with Alanstrainor that this would be a last resort for me as well.
    On a sidenote the PC Decrapifier is an excellent tool for bulk removing the junk manufacturers preload, you can use it on a mature OS install as well :)

Nick

Never heard of that tool, must add it to my list. Thanks Nick!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Never heard of that tool, must add it to my list. Thanks Nick!

Its brilliant, completely free for non-commercial use which is an added bonus :)

Nick

Advertisement