Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do most people get their deposit to buy a house?

Options
  • 13-01-2015 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Just something I'm wondering... When people are buying houses, how many of them get help vs saving the whole thing themselves? I see loads of people buying 350k-400k+ houses and I have to wonder how they got 30-40k for the deposit?

I'm very lucky to be in an very well paying job - but up until now I have no real savings. I'm now saving hard but still it's going to take me a long long time to save that sort of money. I cant get any help I'm on my own in that respect.

How did you guys save your deposit? Knock all luxuries on the head for 5-10 years? How much does your average person save for how long?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Save a grand a month for 30 to 40 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

A grand a month? i'm on average industrial wage and thats more then 50%. also takes years to actually get your wages up to that level.

Skatedude wrote: »
    A grand a month? i'm on average industrial wage and thats more then 50%. also takes years to actually get your wages up to that level.

Yep. I was definitely addressing you. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

brbf wrote: »
    Just something I'm wondering... When people are buying houses, how many of them get help vs saving the whole thing themselves? I see loads of people buying 350k-400k+ houses and I have to wonder how they got 30-40k for the deposit?

I'm very lucky to be in an very well paying job - but up until now I have no real savings. I'm now saving hard but still it's going to take me a long long time to save that sort of money. I cant get any help I'm on my own in that respect.

How did you guys save your deposit? Knock all luxuries on the head for 5-10 years? How much does your average person save for how long?

350K-400K is more like a 70K deposit very shortly. Most people wouldn't be FTB at this level. If they are they're a well paid couple. Under the new rules they'll need to be earning 100K between them, not hard to save 70K over a couple/three of years on that salary.

Many people have help from their parents, some have saved since day one of job one, my best mate saved from the age of 16 but that's an extreme case.

If you're a singleton on 35K you're looking in the 150K range. That's a 2 bed in Crumlin and nothing to be sneezed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

It's a lot easier for a couple where both are working. We are in our thirties and have both been working for over 10 years and always saved a little bit every month. It adds up over time. Once we knew we wanted to buy a house, we cut back on expenses and saved more. We got some help from our families too, but we would have had the deposit without their help.

You can't really expect to live frugally for a year with no savings to begin with and then have 30k or whatever in the bank (unless you earn a lot of money). It takes longer than that usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Myself and my wife saved 125 a week for 2 years or so. Got us approx 15k saved. We only needed 12k for a 10% deposit on our house.

We bought back in April

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BenIrishHome

Gift from parents is the most common unfortunately. I'm 30 and from the UK but I know very few of my peers over here who manage to save anything from any standard salary. What with rent being sky high and living expenses in general, while salaries are still down.

The only people I've seen do it is couples of both live at home with parents and aggressively save for a few years. I.e. Earn net €2500 each, save €1-2,000 per month for 12-24 months. Hard to eschew luxuries or general living expenses consistently for that long but well worth it. I helped 2 friends buy their first house in Rialto last year, they got married and bought a house in 18 months by being focussed on their goals. Incredibly satifying to see them buy their first home.
    If you're a singleton on 35K you're looking in the 150K range. That's a 2 bed in Crumlin and nothing to be sneezed at.

You'll bel icky to get a two bed in Crumlin under €200,000 now unless it is an absolute tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

Saved €600pm for 5 years from 2004, had the guts of 40k to buy a house after the crash, but no tracker available :( still bought though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I'm on 2K a month and renting for 550e. I don't have even go out that much and I've nae clue how people can save so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Lived at home with my parents till I was 28. They charged me feck all rent on the basis that I saved up for a deposit on a house.

Bought in 2011 and should be mortgage free within 9 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭accensi0n

La_Gordy wrote: »
    I'm on 2K a month and renting for 550e. I don't have even go out that much and I've nae clue how people can save so much.

With that salary and that rent I'd say saving 500pm is reasonable. So divide the first part of the second post by 2 and multiply the second part by 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

We saved a grand a month for a couple of years. We were getting married and buying the house around the same time so we just lived frugally and saved every penny we could. It wasn't easy but it was so worth it! We bought around this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

For our first we borrowed 5k from the brother, 20k from the credit Union and scraped a few grand between us. Good times!

For our first we borrowed 5k from the brother, 20k from the credit Union and scraped a few grand between us. Good times!

That scenario won't be repeated for the foreseeable. Borrowing your deposit, I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

We paid the lot ourselves on 50k/pa.

We worked out all of our expenses weekly, monthly and annually, added 10% to cover increases and unexpected bills and then set aside a set amount each week to cover all outgoings (and ran a surplus). We then split the rest in half, with one half going to savings and the other half going on rent, food and entertainment. We didn't have any debts or loans.

We saved almost 30k for our first home, and by sticking to our 'old' budget, we will overpay and clear our mortgage in half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We saved for about 4 years. We were lucky his mother gave us a room and didn't charge much rent while we were saving. We put every spare penny away, no holidays, no nights out, no treats for the whole time. It was hard work but worth it. We bought 12 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Parents usually gift it, or else an inheritence from a grandparent.

For those that don't fit into the above usually think smarter and acquire the money by some other means. :-)

Best advice I got was to talk to a good mortgage broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You need to save and for as long as it takes to acquire your deposit, solicitor fees and stamp duty. Between my partner and I we have a modest but reasonable combined income. For us it was a case of saving hard but still enjoying life a little. You can't become a total hermit or limit all luxuries.... unless you're incredibly determined.

Save as much as you can and in a few years you'll be enjoying your own home and all the benefits/drawbacks that come with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I always tried to save a minimum of 250 a month but worked out on average about 400 a month. I had been doing the SSIA so I just continued with saving that amount. Did that for about 5 years. The savings dropped a little when I moved in with herself and our rent was higher but still saved 250 a month for the next 3 years or so.

She got some help from her father but we paid a deposit of 33% in the end but I could have paid the 10% myself. I just always saved from the first month I started working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

on_my_oe wrote: »
    We paid the lot ourselves on 50k/pa.

We worked out all of our expenses weekly, monthly and annually, added 10% to cover increases and unexpected bills and then set aside a set amount each week to cover all outgoings (and ran a surplus). We then split the rest in half, with one half going to savings and the other half going on rent, food and entertainment. We didn't have any debts or loans.

We saved almost 30k for our first home, and by sticking to our 'old' budget, we will overpay and clear our mortgage in half the time.

Can I ask how long that took you? Are you both on 50k/pa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Saved it for first house which was on the low end of things. Terraced house in a crappy area.

Overpaid that mortgage as much as we could for about 6 years... worked our asses off to get promotions and increase wages. Eventually ended up with 60% equity in that, even though the value had dropped during crash. Sold house, used proceeds as deposit for a decent one.

Never got parental gift. Worked and saved. Drove (still drive) crappy 10-15 yr old cars. Have the house we want now... saving for car upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sorry, but locking yourself away for the most enlightening and interactive years of your life is just too much of a compromise. That sort of grind just isnt what life should be about. And its not what we should be teaching our kids to aspire to either.

Renting may be dead money, but at least you are living in the world.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Sorry, but locking yourself away for the most enlightening and interactive years of your life is just too much of a compromise. That sort of grind just isnt what life should be about. And its not what we should be teaching our kids to aspire to either.

I save a grand a month, and I still have a social life. I'm going to Thailand in a few weeks! Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I only had to do it for 4 years, it wasn't that big a deal. We still had a social life, we just did it very frugally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Saipanne wrote: »
    I save a grand a month, and I still have a social life. I'm going to Thailand in a few weeks! Yay!

I'm fairly sure he wasn't tarring everyone with that brush but rather the not inconsiderable number of people who do essentially lock themselves away and save feverishly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Luckily I had been working abroad on full expenses for about 7 years, and had saved up about 100k (could have been a lot more had i not been buying so much crap over the years)

bought a house last summer for €249,000, so the 100k was a nice wedge to get started with (used €85k as my deposit, borrowed €165k)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

I've been saving a grand a month for three years. Before that I was contracting in London for a year on e600 a day, before that I took a strategic voluntary redundancy and got some $$ from that. Now I have a six figure deposit. Point is that everyones different but you also have to take a risk and find your luck and look for opportunities to make more money.

Where I grew up many got mammy and daddy to pay their deposit during the boom to make them look like their kids were a success. That didn't turn out well because property values went down and they lost that money and then some. Also loads of them lived at home until late 20's to save and now they live mundanely in the suburbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

"Rent is live money because you are actually living" - (c) Lima 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I know in theory how people save but when it comes to putting it into practice we are rubbish :) Trying to save 2k a month but it could (should) be more. I'd love to be like you eviltwin! If I cut out a lot of drinks, nights out, treats, we'd be doing great.

Advertisement