Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often can dogs get reverse sneezing???????

• 13-01-2015 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I have a Pomeranian, shes 17 months and In the past two weeks she has got episodes of what I think is reverse sneezing. She has got isolated episodes in the past after eating.

Three turns in the past two weeks she was very excited when it happened another turn the kitchen was smokey. She got another one today when my mom was looking after her she said she was excited when it happened. The episodes never last more than one minute

Is it common for dogs to get reverse sneezing so often?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Funny Lucy was a bit snuffly last week and sneezing a bit more that often and her eyes were runny for a couple of days. I was going to take her to the vet on monday but it cleared up over the weekend. My eyes however are melting today and yesterday and nose/lips very itchy - I wonder if it's pollen?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

tk123 wrote: »
    Funny Lucy was a bit snuffly last week and sneezing a bit more that often and her eyes were runny for a couple of days. I was going to take her to the vet on monday but it cleared up over the weekend. My eyes however are melting today and yesterday and nose/lips very itchy - I wonder if it's pollen?

It could very well be allergies, I am slighyly worried because she has got it 5 times in 2 weeks, Poms can suffer from collapsing trachea so I got a bit paranoid I want to hold off taking her to the vet for as long as possible because the clinic that I take her to has a reputation for running lots of tests we had a toy poodle who had a very sensitive stomach and they did every sort of test on her eventhough it was not necessary, and I don't want to to put Daisy through all that if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If you are not happy with the care you have got from your vet with a previous dog, I would definitely look for another vet now, rather than wait until you have a problem or issue with Daisy. Our pets are too precious to be put off going to the vet because we dont trust the vet - or whatever reason...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I have a shih tzu who does this regularly. I've read up on it and it's not harmful. Being over excited can bring it on. The trick to stop it is to get them to breathe through their mouth. It's something to do with having a palate which is too big for their head (due to breeding).

It can be stopped by simply covering their nose with your finger tips which forces them to breathe through their mouth and it does something to their palate (can't remember what - you can find the info online easily enough) which stops the reverse sneeze.

All the best,

Advertisement