Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"big dog" suitable for older people

• 13-01-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

My folks are in their late 70's and have always had pet dogs. Over the years they've had labradors, spaniels setters etc.

Their old springer spaniel died last year and they would like a new one.

They're getting on so wouldn't be able to manage an energetic dog who might jump up or needs long walks every day, but would they would still like a 'big dog', i.e lab size.

I was thinking a middle aged rescue lab, or similar might suit.

Any ideas?

R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Greyhounds... They are such couch potatoes and they do not need long walks, surprisingly. They come in all sizes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yup, greyhound. Very steady, placid dogs, don't jump up or get under your feet, a pleasure to walk on the lead, and happy to snooze most of the day away. Very easy dogs to keep too, and a very healthy breed. Your parents have nothing to lose, but their couch! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yup, greyhounds, they are fab. Sighthounds in general are.

Before I met them I thought I could never own one, didn't really think they were that nice of a dog. When I got to know a few of them through work I realised that I have to have one (or two, or three) when I'm in my older years. They are one of the most affectionate, sweetest breeds I have ever met.

Plus there's a bonus, you can put coats and jumpers on them (something that they need to keep warm in these winter months as their skin is so thin) and make them extra adorable. :D

Sent you a PM!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Yup, another vote for a sighthound. We fostered a lovely girl not over 2 years old (so still young enough to be full of energy) and one 15-20 min walk a day was more than enough for her, and she went at a snail's pace! Spent literally all day on the couch apart from maybe 3 minutes where she did skitzo mental laps of the garden and that was her done :pac: Was extremely gentle with my baby daughter and was not phased by her crying or screaming when she was ill.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Agreed greyhound or lurcher lazy sods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Another vote for greyhounds here!
    My parents who are in their seventies have one. He is the stereotypical couch potato, is great on the lead and is wonderfully placid...to the point that he is brought to a nursing home every week as a visiting therapy dog.
    There are plenty of greyhounds looking for homes, and there are a number of greyhound specific rescues who would be able to match your parents up with the right hound for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Got a whippet pup myself last June. First sighthound I've had and they are great pets.

Very, very relaxed dogs, great on the lead, very smart, easy to train and they seem to exercise themselves if they have a large enough garden.

Usually I wake my fella up in the morning for his breakfast, if time allows it I bring him out for a walk, if not then he sprints around the garden like a looper for 5/10 minutes then he's back in the dog house till the afternoon.

Not the big dog you are looking for but a great pet for the oldies.

As others have pointed out greyhounds/whippets are just as happy to spend the day asleep on the couch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

bit off topic but it's so nice and refreshing to hear greyhounds get a lovely mention because they are not really known as being popular breeds (i think)

usually people are eager to get a retriever or labrador, or one of those little yappy ****es like a chihuahua or jack russell.

my friends dad used to breed greyhounds and they genuinely are one of the nicest, calmest dogs. and so quiet, lovable and loyal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Nothing much to add really other than I found this picture on facebook that just about sums greyhounds up :D gorgeous dogs with such a placid nature, not great around smaller animals but I'm sure with the right training they could live together peacefully.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

berger89 wrote: »

usually people are eager to get a retriever or labrador, or one of those little yappy ****es like a chihuahua or jack russell.

Berger89,
    There are many here on this forum who own, and love, our "little yappy ****es". Please have a little more consideration for other users and their pets when posting.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

jesus, I have a jack russell, and a bichon frise X westie. My point was, its nice to see that dogs such as greyhounds are just as loved at the smaller Toy breeds. there was no insult intended.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

berger89 wrote: »
    jesus, I have a jack russell, and a bichon frise X westie. My point was, its nice to see that dogs such as greyhounds are just as loved at the smaller Toy breeds. there was no insult intended.

Berger89,
    As per the last line of my post... Do not reply to or discuss mod actions on-thread. If you want to discuss it with me, do so by pm.
    You may not have intended to insult, but you did. Enough to prompt people to report your post. Which is why one needs to be aware that the written word sometimes does not convey the meaning intended and instead upsets people.
    Again, and remembering that discussing mod actions on thread is a breach of the sitewide charter, do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Yep, a greyhound, or an older lurcher. A younger lurcher, while still low energy than most breeds might just be a little bit too much but it depends on the dog. My mother in law who is in her 70s and with limited mobility is hoping to adopt a sighthound soon.

The only thing I would caution with a sighthound is that for older people, you would want one who has a low prey drive. Even an older, doddery sighthound with a high prey could pull someone over if they saw a cat or fox they wanted to chase.

I would suggest, if you go for a greyhound that they get one who has been assessed in a foster home to be extra sure the dog is suitable. And if you or they are really unconvinced by the idea, I urge you to at the very least arrange to meet one and you might just get the idea why everyone on this thread is recommending them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

If I can wade in on the JRT front, they might not be a bad choice for older people. I have one, but my parents who are in their late sixties, have her during the day. She's a great watchdog so from a safety point of view, good system in place to let you know someone is coming! Also, if they are the kind to drive somewhere to walk the dog, it's handy having a little, compact one that you can strap into the back seat. :D Also, they are quite sturdy for their size :)
    Although I think the greyhound idea is cool too, as there are many needing homes and they are indeed real "couch potatoes" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP since you are looking for an older quiet dog, that will be suitable for your elderly parents, I suggest, you take your parents in your car, and go for a lovely outing to your nearest shelter, have a look at all the dogs there, and see if there is something that might suit. Take your parents for a coffee/lunch afterwards to discuss what they thought - a lovely day out for all! :) You could even go to more than one shelter - they are packed to the rafters with older dogs mad for a nice relaxing home like that your parents could offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

aonb wrote: »
    OP since you are looking for an older quiet dog, that will be suitable for your elderly parents, I suggest, you take your parents in your car, and go for a lovely outing to your nearest shelter, have a look at all the dogs there, and see if there is something that might suit. Take your parents for a coffee/lunch afterwards to discuss what they thought - a lovely day out for all! :) You could even go to more than one shelter - they are packed to the rafters with older dogs mad for a nice relaxing home like that your parents could offer.

Personally I think that sounds like a brilliant idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

There was a greyhound in my last workplace and he was the sweetest dog. I still miss him, he was great company. Happy to curl up on the couch for the day and only required average walks, of which he'd just happily stroll along as opposed to actually use any energy! :D I don't think a lot of people realise how lazy they are! :)

He was a rescue, had a horrible life before they took him in but you'd never know that from his sweet nature, he was a dote. I have vowed to get a greyhound myself once we have our own place, he made such an impact on me and I've had lots of dogs of all shapes and sizes.

I like aonb's idea, they might fall in love with a completely different type of dog but as you can see from all the posts definitely try and consider a greyhound. Best of luck, I hope it all works out for you and your parents.

Advertisement