Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care for Dogs staying in Vets overnight

• 13-01-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭

My Dog took a bad turn this morning and as we expected has been kept in by the vets overnight. He has a lot of problems to start with but as of now things are quite a lot worse. Once the vet closes up for the evening does that mean nobody will check on him until tomorrow morning? I don't like the idea of him being left alone the way he is right now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If the dog isn't stable the vets will stay with them until they are.. If they're very worried, there's always a vet on call who will pop in and check a few times during the night. That's just from my experience anyway, different vets have different practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Its just when he's this sick I feel like he'll get the best care at home with us where we will never take our eyes off him, but hes on loads of drips right now so I guess he has to be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

They always have a vet on call and that vet will check on overnight stay animals during the night. Imagine if you brought him home and something happened? He's in the best place if he not well

heldel00 wrote: »
    They always have a vet on call and that vet will check on overnight stay animals during the night. Imagine if you brought him home and something happened? He's in the best place if he not well

I know that too - if we didn't bring him in today I dread to think what the situation may have been tomorrow. They think he's badly dehydrated due to this infection. He's 15 and has a good few problems so you cant help thinking is this the time that they cant fix it but they told us he has made sight progress so thats positive

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

I can't answer your question OP, but I've been in the same situation, having our boy stay in the vets overnight. You feel so helpless and just want to be by their side to comfort them, but sadly, we don't get to do that. Your little one is in the best place for now and I hope with all my heart that he is back home very soon.
    Get well soon, Sweetheart.

• Advertisement

I have a positive feeling this can be fixed but as he gets older and less healthy, you have to prepare yourself that each time might be the one that they don't bounce back. If he has a good night and continues to improve, he should be home tomorrow afternoon. Watching a Dog with an insatiable appetite turn his head in a different direction when shown one of his favourite foods gave me a fright I can tell you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ah ryanf1, I'm so sorry to hear he's not in the best... I think there are a good few here who kinda feel like we know him a bit because of your posts about him :o
    I'm sure I'm not alone in telling you that I'm keeping everything I can cross, crossed for him. Keep us posted :o

I swear he has 9 lives! Although a few of them have been used up now. Im feeling positive, as is the vet although at his ae and state of health you always have to be mindful that this may be the time where he won't fight back.

I knew the minute I got him uo yesterday morning but I thought it was just that one of his medicines has changed and it wasn't working but as he deteriorated during the day then we all knew it was a bit more than that. He still hasn't drank anything by mouth and all he ate yesterday was a tiny piece of toast with Nutella on it ( we has to get his meds in somehow!)

So slightly mixed news.
    Yesterday he was totally disorientated and lifeless and this morning the vet said he gets up for a few minutes and then goes again, that is an improvement so happy enough. But he had quite a bit of diarrhea during the night so they want to keep him until tomorrow.

Hes had quite a bit of diarrhea since this morning which isn't such good news, so now its onto the next level which is blood tests and take it from there tomorrow.

I truly hope I'm wrong but I've got that horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that this points to a kidney problem, which considering his age and health problems would edge us closer to the end of the road, but with him I've learned to not go there until I have to, done it before and he bounced back:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The poor fella. I'm sure he'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Fingers crossed for him!

Being realistic about this, we hadn't a good year with him in 2014, as you probably know from my posts here. One point last year we said it would be great to get another christmas with him and today being January 14th we have done that so we just need to wait and see what the next few days bring

Forgot to ask whats the best thing to do regarding going to see him? We are worried that it will upset him- and us to an extent. But on the other hand if he doesn't get through this could you rest not having done it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I was in this exact position with our dog this time last year. Praying for him to get through christmas - he did - bounced back and made it until the summer - the most precious few month of enjoying him... Sounds like your boy is a fighter - our Pepper used up his 9 lives several times over too.

If he is alert and well enough I would go in to see him - as you say, how will you feel if you dont and the worst happens. They will take him out of his cage and you could sit and cuddle him a bit (we did with Pepper - we took him out to the car and sat in the back seat - it was torture to return him though) If he isnt well, well thats up to you - could you bear looking at him unwell in his little cage? Tough times, and fingers and everything else crossed that he pulls through this bout again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I would definitely go in and see him. You actually never know, just laying eyes on his family could totally change his receptiveness to treatment!
    Aside from that, I could never have lived with myself if Shadow had died alone. I'd always fret terribly that he was looking for me, or held out longer in the hope that I would come and save him. Letting him see you for a cuddle might just be the peace and comfort he needs for either outcome.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I would definitely go in and see him. You actually never know, just laying eyes on his family could totally change his receptiveness to treatment!
    Aside from that, I could never have lived with myself if Shadow had died alone. I'd always fret terribly that he was looking for me, or held out longer in the hope that I would come and save him. Letting him see you for a cuddle might just be the peace and comfort he needs for either outcome.

I won't let him go without seeing me, thats for sure. I think I'm going to wait and see what news the morning brings and take it from there. Im actually tied up all day so I cant anyway until late in the evening at least.

Things can't be a lot worse right now.
    He's basically being kept going by IV fluids alone. Bloods were done yesterday and pretty much everything that can be wrong with them is wrong so in effect his body has just started to stop working.
    There are ways to sustain this for a brief period but I don't want him to continue on like this with no realistic possibility of successful treatment. On the other hand for our own selfish reasons we all want him with us for as long as possible. For the last 3 and a half years I always hoped he would die naturally in his own time and at home with us, I'm not sure if that wish is going to come true right now but time will tell.

So sorry to hear about this ryanf1.:(
    But now's not the time to be holding onto him for your own sake... it's a horrible, horrible thing to have to do but it is the last great selfless act we can carry out for our pets.
    For me, I would hate to look back and have regrets that I left it too late for the sake of a few hours or days, and left the dog suffering just to buy time for myself.
    I'm pretty sure you know what you need to do, given what all the results say. I'm so sorry, I've been in the same spot twice in the past few years and it is a dreadful place to be. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Agree with DBB, the time has come & your last loving act is to let him go before he starts to deteriorate and be in pain etc. Its just so horrible and sad and heartbreaking, but the dogs comfort is all that matters. Im sure you know this... holding on for a couple of days or whatever, will make you feel worse because later you will say to yourself "I should have let him go on that first day" or whatever (I did with Pepper - we KNEW on monday he was going, but we waited until wednesday - the longest, most miserable couple of days of my life - even though he wasnt in any pain/discomfort)

Very best wishes

• Advertisement

So, so, so sorry to hear this. It's such a heartbreaking time but to echo what DBB said, don't delay for selfish reasons. I made this mistake with Shadow (we held out two days longer than necessary in the hopes that his steroid treatment would take) and vowed that I would never again. It is the one thing we can give back to our pets after years of love, cuddles and memories. It's such a relief to know you've taken away their pain and set them free, and the last thing they know is that you are right beside them, giving them all the love and adoration they have come to expect as they drift off.
    Don't get me wrong, it's like a dagger to the heart and just remembering it is still making me sob almost 3 months later, but I'm so glad I took his suffering away and he didn't die alone or in any more pain than was necessary :o

I would like to hold on for just a few more days if possible, and maybe get him home for a short while. It's also my graduation from College on Monday. That and the memory of me getting him for my 1st communion age 8 (I'm 23 now) is what's on my mind most just now.

3 January 2000-15 January 2015

10929006_672277422881785_1793223933531950799_n.jpg?oh=34a192645eee1a3fb71be04d9e455c7b&oe=5561A5D9&__gda__=1429245319_4498c069028b927c07dd63de2a7b37cc

:(
    So sorry ryanf1.
    RIP little fella :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So sorry ryan :(

So, so sorry :(

I don't know how I feel right now or how I'm supposed to feel. Its only been 2 hours so apart from throwing out the food in his bowl, all his things are still in their place. Yesterday I knew deep in my heart that it was over so I've had 24 hours or so with those thoughts.
    One thing ill forever have to comfort me is that we have gotten 3 years and 11 months bonus with him since he first got sick and we thought we were losing him. But then I said here last night I wouldn't let him die without seeing me and thats whats happened.

Also, the advice on here has been great, particularly over the last 3 years and I hope to still contribute, maybe not for a few weeks , but when the dust settles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

RIP x

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I don't know how I feel right now or how I'm supposed to feel.

So sorry for your loss :( I lost my Misty back in October, she was a present when I was 6 years old I am 23 now. Its normal not know what to feel I felt numb for about 2 days until it finally hit me that she was gone. It gets a little easier with time it may not seem like it now but you will be able to look back on the good times you spent together and smile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

So sorry Ryan. Dreading when this come around.

Feel for you

Advertisement