Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Cloyne

Options
  • 13-01-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here commute from Cloyne to Cork City? I am planning to move there and am just wondering what the commute will be like.

I presume commuting by car is the only viable option... I can't imagine buses would be that regular?

A few friends were suggesting cycling to Middleton and getting the train from there but that sounds a bit far fetched!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What part of town you working in? Do you have parking in work? I commute by train from East Cork and it's a great option - free parking at the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Depends on what part of the city you are going to - with no traffic Cloyne is about 35 mins from the city. I did it at one stage and to be in for work in Mahon at 9am I used to leave at about 8am - leaving about maybe 15/20 mins earlier in snowy weather like today. You could always park and get the train from Midleton if working in the city centre. I wouldn't fancy cycling to train station, getting train and then walking to work especially if you got soaking wet on your cycle and didn't get to change till you reached work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Cloyne to Midleton is about 10km. I used to cycle to work in Ballymaloe from Midleton years ago and it was about 30 mins trek. But that was years ago.
    Road is busy from that area each morning so I would imagine about 40 mins drive to the city on a good day in the morning. Evening traffic is also heavy going east to Cobh, Carrigtwohill, Midleton.

Depending on where you work it is feasible but a good option would be to get in to a car pooling system or share the drive if at all possible.
    You have the option of the train also but driving to Midleton train station and parking up in the mornings could take 20 mins if traffic was heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What part of town you working in? Do you have parking in work? I commute by train from East Cork and it's a great option - free parking at the station.

I'm working at the north side of the city by the glen area. I have free parking alright at work but the traffic can be a bit nuts at times. My car wouldn't really be the most economical either.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

weadick wrote: »
    I'm working at the north side of the city by the glen area. I have free parking alright at work but the traffic can be a bit nuts at times. My car wouldn't really be the most economical either.

Can you take the bike on the train? If so you could cycle into Midleton, get train, and then cycle to work. Wouldn't be my preferred option due to Irish weather but is an alternative to driving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

Does anybody here commute from Cloyne to Cork City? I am planning to move there and am just wondering what the commute will be like.

I presume commuting by car is the only viable option... I can't imagine buses would be that regular?

A few friends were suggesting cycling to Middleton and getting the train from there but that sounds a bit far fetched!

I tried cycling the route between Cloyne and Midleton a few times and gave it up as I felt it was just too dangerous. On the R629 there are lots of blind bends, and on the R630 there's lots of sections with no hard shoulder and lots of trucks heading to and from the Refinery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

frankeee wrote: »
    I tried cycling the route between Cloyne and Midleton a few times and gave it up as I felt it was just too dangerous. On the R629 there are lots of blind bends, and on the R630 there's lots of sections with no hard shoulder and lots of trucks heading to and from the Refinery

R629 is a fine road but a bit hilly in parts. Surface is not bad but as poster above suggested there are some bad bends. You dont need to go on R630 at all as you can cycle on R629 then down Bailick road and through the town to the train station. Not ideal but will save on driving. However carpooling might be a better option considering our wonderful weather. Maybe cycle in the summer time. However bikes are only allowed on the trains outside rush hours so I think you would have to lock it up at the station (unless you have a folding bike as you can bring those on a train at anytime)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Also cycling from kent to the glen is a good haul uphill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

namloc1980 wrote: »

Just wondering what the price of a return ticket to cork from Midleton is? Is there a monthly or yearly ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the fares are all here.

weekly, monthly and tax saver tickets are all available.

• Advertisement

Just wondering what the price of a return ticket to cork from Midleton is? Is there a monthly or yearly ticket?

Yearly tax saver offers the best value. Go to www.taxsaver.ie

R629 is a fine road but a bit hilly in parts. Surface is not bad but as poster above suggested there are some bad bends. You dont need to go on R630 at all as you can cycle on R629 then down Bailick road and through the town to the train station. Not ideal but will save on driving. However carpooling might be a better option considering our wonderful weather. Maybe cycle in the summer time. However bikes are only allowed on the trains outside rush hours so I think you would have to lock it up at the station (unless you have a folding bike as you can bring those on a train at anytime)

As someone who commutes from East Cork by train in the morning and evening rush hours I can categorically state the folding bike only rule is not enforced. The staff simply turn a blind eye to full size bikes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Bus Éireann run a bus through Cloyne early (06.45-07.00) . mornings

Advertisement