Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying section of land of somebody's property

Options
  • 13-01-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hoping some of you could shed some light on the best / most polite way to approach somebody about purchasing a section of land on someone's property.

I am renting in a North dublin area (which I currently cannot afford to buy in) where I grew up and have identified a couple of suitable properties that have excessively large rear gardens which I could get permission to build a 3 bed house on. (To live in, not for financial gain) Some of these gardens are sectioned off and overgrown so don't seem to be of any use to the current occupants.

These rear gardens wouldn't be much use to developers etc as it does not stack up financially but I work in the architectural and planning industry and have a lot of project management experience and contacts so I could undertake most of the work myself.

My only problem is I don't know how to approach the homeowners with my proposition. How would you feel if approached? I don't want to irritate or upset anybody so want to be as polite about it as possible. I was thinking of dropping in a hand written letter?

Appreciate any advice or personal experiences any of you may have.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

From what I've heard/seen dropping a letter in seems to be the usual thing people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I think a personal letter is the best approach. That is I assume you can't spread the word via family/friends in the area. I wish the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Geezy

Hoping some of you could shed some light on the best / most polite way to approach somebody about purchasing a section of land on someone's property.

Hey did you ever go ahead with it? If so how did you get on? Hoping to do the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

What kind of money what such a plot get in Dublin north for a 3 bed house now a days . are we talking 10k or 100k here in the current circumstances.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

iainBB wrote: »
    What kind of money what such a plot get in Dublin north for a 3 bed house now a days . are we talking 10k or 100k here in the current circumstances.

10k, not a chance.
    A suitable site, with planning, or outline planning, or the possibility of planning for a 3 bed house may be in the region of 50-70k and maybe more or less depending on location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

kceire wrote: »
    10k, not a chance.
    A suitable site, with planning, or outline planning, or the possibility of planning for a 3 bed house may be in the region of 50-70k and maybe more or less depending on location.

Wow interesting. I had no idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

iainBB wrote: »

You are talking close to €100k in Dublin 9/11 to build a 3/4 bed house that would be worth €350k to 450k at most. I have seen people looking for €100k for a site to build a house worth €250k at most.

You are often better off buying a house with a site potential. Then selling on the house and keeping the site. IMO there isnt really much sense to buying a site when you look at the bigger picture

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

newacc2015 wrote: »
    You are often better off buying a house with a site potential. Then selling on the house and keeping the site. IMO there isnt really much sense to buying a site when you look at the bigger picture

That's a great idea, but then you'd need a mortgage 5x-10x the cost :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Plus you have capital gains I think due to splitting the land.

Advertisement