Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of giving up VHI/Health Insurance

Options
  • 13-01-2015 11:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭

A number of people advised me last year to give up health insurance as it was throwing away good money. I kept it but must admit that I am wondering why. Paying €55 a month and have got nothing for it over the last few years I have had to. On Saturday I found out that they have now even refused to reimburse me for a part of the costs which I used to get back for physio visits.

My only worry about getting rid of health insurance is going abroad. I used to get Multi-Trip when going to the US but if I leave VHI I won't get this anymore. I have checked around. Is there any reliable independent companies around where you don't need to have a health insurance policy? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I completely disagree with the notion that paying for health insurance is "throwing away good money". That's the nature of insurance, you pay for it in the hope that you'll never need it, but are glad of it when you do.

I posted this on another similar thread a couple of years ago as an example of why having health insurance is a good idea:

A number of years ago I had a sudden unforeseen complication following knee surgery that left me in absolute agony and unable to walk. Not knowing what was wrong, I went to A&E where an x-ray quickly showed what the problem was. It was clear that another operation was required, so I expected to be told I'd have one within a few days. I was stunned when they told me that I should go home and that they'd be in touch with me in "about 6 weeks" to discuss scheduling the operation. Not that the operation would be in 6 weeks, just that they'd give me a date for it at that stage. When I said that was ridiculous because I couldn't walk due to the extreme pain (far worse than the pain of the original complaint) and would have to go on sick leave, I was told that because it wasn't life-threatening I was a non-urgent case. It then dawned on me that because I was in A&E I was probably being put on the public waiting list, so I asked if my VHI meant I could have the operation sooner. The reaction I got clearly demonstrated the divide in the public and private healthcare systems in this country, it was pretty much "You have VHI? Well why didn't you say so? Take a seat and we'll see what we can do for you". I had the operation a week later.

I fully appreciate that health insurance is expensive, and in the event of financial difficulties it's probably one of the first things to go. But having first hand experience of the benefits of having it on a number of occasions, I do believe that if you can afford it getting rid of it is a very short-sighted thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Myself and my husband were in vhi for years. Our 7 year old son had athsma and had a medical card. Our son had to go to crumlin for major lung surgery and ended up getting most of the lung removed. When we went in the doctor asked us about health insurance we said we had vhi but our son also had a medical card. We were advised to go with the medical card because the vhi only covers certain things and doctors ect. We cancelled or vhi shortly after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

micromary wrote: »
    A number of people advised me last year to give up health insurance as it was throwing away good money. I kept it but must admit that I am wondering why. Paying €55 a month and have got nothing for it over the last few years I have had to. On Saturday I found out that they have now even refused to reimburse me for a part of the costs which I used to get back for physio visits.

My only worry about getting rid of health insurance is going abroad. I used to get Multi-Trip when going to the US but if I leave VHI I won't get this anymore. I have checked around. Is there any reliable independent companies around where you don't need to have a health insurance policy? Thanks.

Of course you can get multi trip without health insurance. They all offer this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Zaph wrote: »
    I completely disagree with the notion that paying for health insurance is "throwing away good money". That's the nature of insurance, you pay for it in the hope that you'll never need it, but are glad of it when you do.

I posted this on another similar thread a couple of years ago as an example of why having health insurance is a good idea:

A number of years ago I had a sudden unforeseen complication following knee surgery that left me in absolute agony and unable to walk. Not knowing what was wrong, I went to A&E where an x-ray quickly showed what the problem was. It was clear that another operation was required, so I expected to be told I'd have one within a few days. I was stunned when they told me that I should go home and that they'd be in touch with me in "about 6 weeks" to discuss scheduling the operation. Not that the operation would be in 6 weeks, just that they'd give me a date for it at that stage. When I said that was ridiculous because I couldn't walk due to the extreme pain (far worse than the pain of the original complaint) and would have to go on sick leave, I was told that because it wasn't life-threatening I was a non-urgent case. It then dawned on me that because I was in A&E I was probably being put on the public waiting list, so I asked if my VHI meant I could have the operation sooner. The reaction I got clearly demonstrated the divide in the public and private healthcare systems in this country, it was pretty much "You have VHI? Well why didn't you say so? Take a seat and we'll see what we can do for you". I had the operation a week later.

I fully appreciate that health insurance is expensive, and in the event of financial difficulties it's probably one of the first things to go. But having first hand experience of the benefits of having it on a number of occasions, I do believe that if you can afford it getting rid of it is a very short-sighted thing to do.

Agree 100%.

It is a small price to pay . Think long & hard before you cancel your Health Insurance !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I dont have Health Insurance but I am thinking about getting it. There are so many plans, its very complicated. Just wondering about ONE PLAN 250 costing 807e or even ONE PLAN STARTER 547e. Would anyone be able to help me. Is the excess the difference?

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »

I posted this on another similar thread a couple of years ago as an example of why having health insurances a good idea:

If you had complained enough then you would have been too of the queue in the public system

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

I do not really care how health insurance could help me for the future. I really do not trust VHI and if I do not trust them now then I cannot see myself trusting them in the future. Bottom line is that for the 2nd time (this time correctly with original documents)they have refused to cover physio bills for the last year. There was no problems a few years ago but now despite me clarifying this on the phone on what was needed they have refused again. I have cancelled the €55 a month. I can save this for a rainy day when I need health insurance. Total joke of a service. Good luck to anybody who uses VHI but I am sick of there crappy ads and sticking their finger up at the member. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I do not really care how health insurance could help me for the future. I really do not trust VHI and if I do not trust them now then I cannot see myself trusting them in the future. Bottom line is that for the 2nd time (this time correctly with original documents)they have refused to cover physio bills for the last year. There was no problems a few years ago but now despite me clarifying this on the phone on what was needed they have refused again. I have cancelled the €55 a month. I can save this for a rainy day when I need health insurance. Total joke of a service. Good luck to anybody who uses VHI but I am sick of there crappy ads and sticking their finger up at the member. :mad:

Can you say what the reason was that the physio receipts weren't allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Does your policy cover physio visits? Because a lot of plans have changed in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

The can't just refuse to pay without reason, what's your outpatient excess? are you serving upgrade waiting periods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Mellowbird

I have the most basic VHI cover at 45 euros a month as I only care about covering the expensive costs of surgery/operations and the priority over public lists. Why don't you do that? I don't need the more expensive covers of private rooms in private hospitals etc (if I was in a coma will I really appreciate it anyway!!) and I wouldn't pay extra for smaller stuff like whether it covers 30 or 50 euros off GP visits as I'm not worried about those amounts.

My friend when she had twins, both babies had to go into intensive care and they would have had to pay 30,000 euros if they didn't have VHi. Now that's what I care about! Just buy the basic 45 euro plan. Oh and it's going down by 3% when I renew in May as they have started lowering their price due to competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Mellowbird Would you mind giving me the exact name of that PLAN. Its very complicated on their website. You can PM me if you prefer. That plan would suit me perfectly. I only need the security of having Insurance.Thanks a mill!!

Hi Hillbloom, it's the One Plan Starter you mentioned for 547 euros (45.58 euros each month). Just checked the Health Insurance Authority of Ireland website, the price is going down by 2-4% from 1 March, so just wait 2 more weeks to sign up :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The fact that banks seen private health insurance as a necessity when looking people in arrears shows its important. If you need an MRI in the morning, you call VHI and they will slot in same day sometimes. Where as you could be waiting months with public waiting lists. Plus have you seen a public psychiatric hospital? That alone would make you want to buy private health insurance. I know so many people that cancelled or downgraded policies to discover in a few months, they badly needed it.

OP if you get a pre-existing condition. You will have to wait 5 - 10 years for VHI to cover you for it. So you might consider looking at getting your policy back

Mellowbird wrote: »
    I have the most basic VHI cover at 45 euros a month as I only care about covering the expensive costs of surgery/operations and the priority over public lists. Why don't you do that? I don't need the more expensive covers of private rooms in private hospitals etc (if I was in a coma will I really appreciate it anyway!!) and I wouldn't pay extra for smaller stuff like whether it covers 30 or 50 euros off GP visits as I'm not worried about those amounts.

My friend when she had twins, both babies had to go into intensive care and they would have had to pay 30,000 euros if they didn't have VHi. Now that's what I care about! Just buy the basic 45 euro plan. Oh and it's going down by 3% when I renew in May as they have started lowering their price due to competition.

This is complete nonsense. If a baby needs to go to intensive care they will be brought in for no charge. Where did they hear this nonsense 30000 fee

My mother has no health insurance and has been in Intentive care at no cost in the public system

mickman wrote: »
    This is complete nonsense. If a baby needs to go to intensive care they will be brought in for no charge. Where did they hear this nonsense 30000 fee

My mother has no health insurance and has been in Intentive care at no cost in the public system

From what you are saying it sounds like if her babies were in trouble and she did not have VHI, the twins would have gone into the intensive care of the public system. But since my friend had VHI they did so privately.

A quick google found the article below from the Irish Indo website (sorry I can't paste a link as I'm a newbie). The 30,000 euro cost must have been calculated based on if they had to pay for it themselves privately and they didn't have VHI.

"It's dearer than the Ritz, your €889-a-day public hospital bed. The average cost of a bed in a public hospital is now €889 a day -- more expensive than a room in some of the top hotels in the world.

A night at the Ritz in Paris will set you back €870, while an executive suite at Trump Tower Hotel in New York will place you in the lap of luxury for €651.

And although patients in one of Ireland's public hospitals will not be treated to chocolates on their pillows at night or be able to sink into Egyptian cotton sheets, they are "cosseted" by the presence of doctors, nurses and hi-tech medical machinery instead.

The taxpayer picks up most of the bill for the nightly cost of a public hospital bed, and if the patient does not have a medical card, he or she pays no more than €75 a day."

From what you are saying it sounds like if her babies were in trouble and she did not have VHI, the twins would have gone into the intensive care of the public system. But since my friend had VHI they did so privately.

A quick google found the article below from the Irish Indo website (sorry I can't paste a link as I'm a newbie). The 30,000 euro cost must have been calculated based on if they had to pay for it themselves privately and they didn't have VHI.

"It's dearer than the Ritz, your €889-a-day public hospital bed. The average cost of a bed in a public hospital is now €889 a day -- more expensive than a room in some of the top hotels in the world.

A night at the Ritz in Paris will set you back €870, while an executive suite at Trump Tower Hotel in New York will place you in the lap of luxury for €651.

And although patients in one of Ireland's public hospitals will not be treated to chocolates on their pillows at night or be able to sink into Egyptian cotton sheets, they are "cosseted" by the presence of doctors, nurses and hi-tech medical machinery instead.

The taxpayer picks up most of the bill for the nightly cost of a public hospital bed, and if the patient does not have a medical card, he or she pays no more than €75 a day."

Exactly - so why go privately then or have health insurance

I have insurance paid for by work but if I had to pay myself then I wouldnt . I just can't see any benefit . If your friend didn't have vhi and had the babies in the public system and they had to go to intensive care then it would have been done and that's it

Also - I have been a few times to the maternity ward in cuh public and its a fantastic place

Perhaps then the only benefit is the priority over public lists and jumping the queue?

My own personal story (can't believe I'm sharing this with strangers on the internet but here goes!):

I had a very rapid growth in my tummy 7 years ago before I had VHI (and it wasn't a baby unfortunately). I thought I'll do it publicly for budget reasons. It took quite a long while to see a consultant and when I did, he said I needed to get a scan to see what's going on. The waiting list for that scan was 6 months. I was too worried at that point as it was growing (was it cancerous due to speed of growth?) so I did it privately - paid for 2 gynaes, paid for the scan, found out what it was.
    I decided to have the operation back home to be with my family and also it was quite a bit cheaper. I'm lucky I suppose I had that option, to still have access to good doctors and a lot more affordable due to the exchange rate with euros. But I don't want that to be the solution, every time I need a big operation I fly back home because I can't afford to do it in Ireland.

When I finally had the operation the growth they took out was the size of a honeydew and weighed 5 pounds. If I waited 6 months for the scan the honeydew would have been a watermelon by then :)

I think you might have said in an earlier post if you shout loud enough you will get to the top of the queue in the public system. I am a petite Asian woman who is sometimes rather soft spoken in real life, I'm not sure if I could have shouted that loud :)

Perhaps then the only benefit is the priority over public lists and jumping the queue?

My own personal story (can't believe I'm sharing this with strangers on the internet but here goes!):

I had a very rapid growth in my tummy 7 years ago before I had VHI (and it wasn't a baby unfortunately). I thought I'll do it publicly for budget reasons. It took quite a long while to see a consultant and when I did, he said I needed to get a scan to see what's going on. The waiting list for that scan was 6 months. I was too worried at that point as it was growing (was it cancerous due to speed of growth?) so I did it privately - paid for 2 gynaes, paid for the scan, found out what it was.
    I decided to have the operation back home to be with my family and also it was quite a bit cheaper. I'm lucky I suppose I had that option, to still have access to good doctors and a lot more affordable due to the exchange rate with euros. But I don't want that to be the solution, every time I need a big operation I fly back home because I can't afford to do it in Ireland.

When I finally had the operation the growth they took out was the size of a honeydew and weighed 5 pounds. If I waited 6 months for the scan the honeydew would have been a watermelon by then :)

I think you might have said in an earlier post if you shout loud enough you will get to the top of the queue in the public system. I am a petite Asian woman who is sometimes rather soft spoken in real life, I'm not sure if I could have shouted that loud :)

It will get you elective surgery done quicker alright

However if any of the doctors you met suspected a rapidly growing cancer then I don't think you would have been waiting that long

It was just the first public doctor who said he wouldn't know what is going on until he sees the scan in 6 months. The 2 private consultants who benefited from seeing the scan I paid for said to have surgery asap.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

I certainly will not be reconsidering going back with VHI. I do not trust them one bit and I am not put off by any stories telling me that I will regret it in the long run. I can only speak for my myself but health insurance has been a waste for myself.

As for my claim it came back advising "Unfortunately we are unable to assist you on this occasion as benefit has not exceeded the excess for this renewal period". This despite being told by a lady at VHI that I would have no problem and only needed to send in the original documents. I had a One P1 Start Plan.

Advertisement