Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Lunch on Dame St/Georges St/Exchequer

Options
  • 13-01-2015 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a decent place to have a healthy lunch for 6-7e in this part of town. I only get 30 mins so can't travel far.

Everywhere seems to be set at around 10e minimum.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Mongolian BBQ, you can fill up a bowl and have it bbqed in front of you for a fiver, you'll get a side of rice too.

Or Umi falafel, they have great menu with most items at 5-6 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

mhge wrote: »
    Or Umi falafel, they have great menu with most items at 5-6 euro.

Never thought of that. Very near me. Great reviews on trip advisor.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Umi Falafal is the business for healthy cheap lunch! I'd eat there regularly if I was in town.

Give Yo Sushi behind Brown Thomas a try too, you can eat off the belt so no waiting for your food (and service is usually pretty quick if you need to order too). Although you might need to be savvy with their deals to get value for that kind of money, so might only suit certain days of the week.

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Never thought of that. Very near me. Great reviews on trip advisor.

If you're on this side of Dame St you may want to check out The Silk Road in the Chester Beatty library. Their big plates are above your budget, and it would be a huge lunch, but they have smaller options too. It's fresh Middle Eastern food, super tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

You could try Havana Tapas Bar on Georges St

They have a couple of lunch specials (or they used to at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TM1000

Try the Lebanese Chef- Very good value for money, decent sized menu.

Food has being great any time iv being in there, always come out stuffed.

Might be a little dearer then 7 euro but definatly worth it for the amount you get, friendly staff and the food is produced more less on front of you, If you do try it let me know how you get on.

Its 73 goerges street , last shop under DBS across from the end of exchequer street.
    Check out there reviews on yelp (It wont let me post a link it so you'll have to google it)

You could try Havana Tapas Bar on Georges St

They have a couple of lunch specials (or they used to at least)

Hi. I've tried it. Student meal of soup and a side wouldn't fill you. Nice place thou.
    TM1000 wrote: »
    Try the Lebanese Chef- Very good value for money, decent sized menu.

Food has being great any time iv being in there, always come out stuffed.

Might be a little dearer then 7 euro but definatly worth it for the amount you get, friendly staff and the food is produced more less on front of you, If you do try it let me know how you get on.

Its 73 goerges street , last shop under DBS across from the end of exchequer street.
    Check out there reviews on yelp (It wont let me post a link it so you'll have to google it)

Never looked that appealing walking by but will give it a go and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The Falafel Lounge across the road from Umi is so much nicer and well worth trying out.
    If you get lucky with a scratch card and want to spend a bit more then the Azteca Bistro just up on Lord Edward St does some of the best Mexican food I've managed to find in Ireland.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TM1000

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    Hi. I've tried it. Student meal of soup and a side wouldn't fill you. Nice place thou.

Never looked that appealing walking by but will give it a go and report back.

If your a student they do a discount in there as well as far as I can remember.

• Advertisement

TM1000 wrote: »
    If your a student they do a discount in there as well as far as I can remember.

They have a student meal with not alot in it.

Anybody know what happened to Dublin Food Company/Saint?

Apparently they did decent sambos!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

mhge wrote: »
    Mongolian BBQ, you can fill up a bowl and have it bbqed in front of you for a fiver, you'll get a side of rice too.

5.95 now , but still very good value

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not far of a walk away is the Duke pub on Duke Street. They do a pub carvery lunch for around €12. Its normal pub fare of roast beef, turkey & ham, shepherds pie, etc. When you're asked for your order ask if you can get a half portion of whatever you want. If the Swiss/German head chef is on he will most likely roll his eyes and growl before serving you up a 'half-portion' which is actually pretty sizeable as the full one is massive and too much for me. At the till it'll cost €7.50 which is great value to sit in a pub and have a decent lunch just off Grafton St. On top of that you can help yourself to all the brown bread and butter you like, it's included in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Mezz on Eustace Street does a buffet for a fiver. Decent food and you definitely won't be hungry.

Siri up near Christchurch (beside Bull & Castle) does lunch dishes for €6. It's Indian.

The Buttery in Trinity always did a decent cheap lunch. Haven't been for a while though.

Soup Dragon at the end of Capel St. does great value takeaway soups with bread and fruit thrown in.

Mezz on Eustace Street does a buffet for a fiver. Decent food and you definitely won't be hungry.

Siri up near Christchurch (beside Bull & Castle) does lunch dishes for €6. It's Indian.

The Buttery in Trinity always did a decent cheap lunch. Haven't been for a while though.

Soup Dragon at the end of Capel St. does great value takeaway soups with bread and fruit thrown in.

Mezz looks unreal. Siri has great credentials. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

This is gas, I was just debating starting a similar thread! On a health kick and I usually just grab a M&S salad for around a fiver but it'd be nice to sit in somewhere and eat.

Any suggestions for North of the Liffey, Henry St/ Abbey St area?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

OldGoat wrote: »
    The Falafel Lounge across the road from Umi is so much nicer and well worth trying out.

Eat regularly enough in Umi so said I'd try Falafel lounge.

Great value, got the round plate for 6.50. As much as you can pile on from a large and varied selection of cold salad and one choice from about 6 hot dishes.

I was starving and left a lot fuller than Umi would leave me but I'd slightly prefer Umi taste wise

Edit: meant to say you get 3 Falafel with a sauce in that deal too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

tradhead wrote: »
    This is gas, I was just debating starting a similar thread! On a health kick and I usually just grab a M&S salad for around a fiver but it'd be nice to sit in somewhere and eat.

Didn't post this last night because I couldn't remember the name. Han Yang Asian market on Strand Street has a Korean restaurant down the back. Rice with three of the hot dishes for about €5.50 or freshly made dishes for around €7. Really good quality and plenty of it.

Edit/ Just walked past it. it's Hang Sung.

Epicurean Food Hall on Abbey St, a few All you can Eat places nearby for €6.99 I think are on Moore St. In the basement of the Moore St mall there's also a few ethnic food stalls. The Burrito place in the Italian Quarter, Boojum is the name I think, has a big feed for around €7.

To the OP on the southside I also forgot to mention Fallon & Byrne, you can get all sorts of food quickly heated up and then bring it downstairs to the wine cellar and eat it there. I think their lunch boxes are around €7-8, they also have good salads and sandwches pre-made too which is good if you're in a rush.

Finally kinda between north and south is the Irish Film Centre in Temple Bar. The cafe/restaurant there is very cheap, you can get a falafel sandwich in pitta bread and loads of salad for something around €7. I doubt you'd get in and out with a 30 min lunch break tho as service can be slow sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Finally kinda between north and south is the Irish Film Centre in Temple Bar. The cafe/restaurant there is very cheap, you can get a falafel sandwich in pitta bread and loads of salad for something around €7. I doubt you'd get in and out with a 30 min lunch break tho as service can be slow sometimes.

Good shout but, as you said, service can be atrocious at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Lolly and Cooks in George's Arcade is very handy but no real seating as such. But they've a different hot pot each day (stew, curry, chowder etc.), nice healthy soups that change each day and they've pasta dishes now too. Sausage rolls, quiche and nice cakes swell.

7quid would get you mains and desert or soup and mains. Pretty and healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

humberklog wrote: »
    Lolly and Cooks in George's Arcade is very handy but no real seating as such. But they've a different hot pot each day (stew, curry, chowder etc.), nice healthy soups that change each day and they've pasta dishes now too. Sausage rolls, quiche and nice cakes swell.

7quid would get you mains and desert or soup and mains. Pretty and healthy.

The sausage rolls are worth a visit on their own IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

The sausage rolls are worth a visit on their own IMO

They are large!

V nice - just be careful what flavour you get - as the herbs/spices are pretty strong

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Yum Thai On Duke Street do Thai food with noodles or rice in a box for €5.50 or €5 for students I think. There is only room for 4 or 5 people to eat in there. I only ever have the red curry with rice in there and I like it, not sure what the other dishes are like.

Also I forgot to say that if you're on a health kick with salads the Super Value at Aston Quay has a decent salad bar where you fill up containers with what you want for a set price, I'm not sure how much but I'd expect it to be cheap, less than a fiver for sure. They also have a small eating area which can be busy at lunchtime but quiet otherwise. Its obviously southside but only just over the river.

Advertisement