Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping wooden items to Perth.

Options
  • 14-01-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there, I'd love some advice/personal experience of shipping house contents that are wooden to Oz. My family is moving to Oz in the summer. I have a few items (picture frames, mirror, lamp, ikea shelves) that contain some sort of wood. Are such items prohibited from Oz? I know these items could be left at home, but to make the transition easier id like to take items that I've had for a long time.
    TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

wood items as far as i know are banned unless you pay for expensive treatment to kill any eggs,that program nothing to declare is well worth a look to see all the non declared items found.

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity/import/timber

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JOR19

Thanks for the link, it's very informative just what I was searching for but couldn't seem to find!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

one of those programs on tv etched into my brain

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I migrated to Australia, landing in Perth, eleven years ago and I imported household furniture with no problems at all. Your furniture is liable to inspection on arrival. If a problem is found you will be notified and, if treatment is possible, you will be given the opportunity to arrange (and pay) for it. If no treatment is possible, or if you choose not to pay for it, your furniture is destroyed.

I don't know whether all imported furniture is in fact inspected, or just a random selection and, if it's a selection. But it's rare for furniture that isn't brand-new to have any problem on inspection. I imported a selection of mahogany and pine furniture, some of it a couple of years old and some much older (I bought it second-hand). We had no problems at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Shipping ikea shelves all the way to Australia is madness. If the rest of the stuff is from ikea they are not worth shipping either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JOR19 wrote: »
    I know these items could be left at home, but to make the transition easier id like to take items that I've had for a long time.
    TIA.
    Shipping them would be expensive and slow - maybe 3-6 months. Unless they are pretty unique I wouldn't bother. If they are mostly Ikea, then just go to Ikea out here and buy them. The stuff is identical.
    greasepalm wrote: »
    wood items as far as i know are banned unless you pay for expensive treatment to kill any eggs,
    That's not really true tbh. (I know the show presents it like that though)
    Fresh, raw, untreated wooden articles (especially with bark) are banned as they might contain insects. Something you might pick up on holidays in bali or where ever.
    But polished/treated/machined/worked timber, as used in household items, can be brought it with out issue.

I brought back a wooden gift (from Ireland) last week. Declared it on the form at customs. Described it briefly to the customs officer. He didn't even ask to see it. Said "it sounds fine".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mellor wrote: »
    Shipping them would be expensive and slow - maybe 3-6 months. Unless they are pretty unique I wouldn't bother. If they are mostly Ikea, then just go to Ikea out here and buy them. The stuff is identical.
    It doesn't take anything like six months, and from my recollection it didn't even take three - about two months, I think. As for cost, the OP states that his family is moving to Perth, and he is wondering whether to bring certain items. It sounds as though a containerload, or half a containerload, of stuff will be going in any event; his only question is whether he should include his wooden items. Presumably the marginal cost of adding them in is nil, or close to nil, and his only concern is whether the consignment will be delayed (or worse) by quarantine regulations applicable to his wooden items, or whether his wooden items might be taken out and destroyed (in which case, presumably, he would prefer to sell them or give them away before he goes).

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It doesn't take anything like six months, and from my recollection it didn't even take three - about two months, I think.
    I said up to 6 months. The boat could leave the day after you load it, or it could be sitting around another while waiting to fill up. They say to allow 3 months, allowing for delays, and customs hold up. 6 months isn't impossible.
    As for cost, the OP states that his family is moving to Perth, and he is wondering whether to bring certain items. It sounds as though a containerload, or half a containerload, of stuff will be going in any event;

If there's already a container going, then the cost it nil.
    I read it that all his stuff furniture is wooden and was wonderign about it, But now i think about it you are prob right.

Thank you! We have one Pine table and a few other expensive items that I just could not justify leaving behind. Thanks again.

yes we have other household items to bring. Which are not made from wood. We are shipping all of our items. So it makes sense to fill the container as much as we can! With expensive and non expensive items. So yes I can justify bringing one ikea item. ( other items are not from ikea) considering the cost of shipping. Shipment takes two months. Port to port.
    I just wanted to get other ppls experiences on this. So thank you to everyone who commented.

• Advertisement

If you are shipping a container anyway, then throw them in. They'll be inspected, but changes are they'll pass no problem.
    If something as signs of wood worm, even previously exterminated woodworm, they might take issue.

Advertisement