Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED taillights

Options
  • 14-01-2015 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

After years of fiddling with temperamental taillights on the MH and bikerack I'm considering changing the lot to LCD to make them more reliable. After a quick look on done deal I can see that there is a large variation on price ( and quality as well ?) on seemingly the same item.
    The layout on the van is three individual round units on each side i.e. Turn - (tail/stop) - fog on one side and Turn-(tail/stop)- reverse on the other.
    The bikerack has the standard cheap and nasty lights same as those found on some trailer boards even though it's a Thule and cost enough in the first place.

Is there any particular make or supplier that I should be looking at? It almost makes sense to buy a trailer board and cannibalise it as in some cases it costs less than the individual lights bought seperately.
    Anybody done this or have advice to offer?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Is it just the bulbs you are looking to change or the entire light assemblies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

*Kol* wrote: »
    Is it just the bulbs you are looking to change or the entire light assemblies?

Hi I didn't know that bulbs were an option but I need to replace the whole lot I would think. They keep filling with water, lose electrical contact with the bulbs. I melted a bypass relay by being able to insert a stop/tail bulb the wrong way round ..... So hopefully the LED units will offer a quick fix.
    Thanks.

Not possible melt an automotive relay with a 50W load...don't blame the bulb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Not possible melt an automotive relay with a 50W load...don't blame the bulb.
    Yes you're right. A throwaway remark that
    I should have thought through. I was blaming the fact that I had put the relay in a small enclosure with poor ventilation and had gone on a ten hour journey with the brake light on .. Doing the sums though it would only be plausible if all the power drawn was converted to heat at the relay rather tha a a small fraction. Lazy me. I should know better. . The relay did melt though like it had been subjected to a blowtorch. I wonder why. .
    Anyway don't want to distract from the the original post.

Wiring the load through the coil would do it, or a short circuit.

Dunno much about those LED's. I know they're available as direct replacement bulbs...sounds like you need new lenses anyways though.
    Might get away with bending the contacts back into form and new gaskets or drilling some holes so the water escapes. Water isn't as big a problem as saturation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement