Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Efibre be installed at my address? Some people in town already have it.

Options
  • 14-01-2015 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

I live in Carrick-on-Suir and I'm waiting for efibre to be installed. I was originally given a date of sometime in November 2013. Once the efibre map went live it said March 2014 & has kept getting pushed back for undisclosed reasons. It now finally shows as available in my town but when I put our phone number into the form on the efibre map page I get a message that says:
    Your home is not in an eFibre area
    However eircom is rolling out eFibre across Ireland
    We will remember the phone number / address on this computer.

I was in a persons house tonight not far from me and they had it installed on Monday. I'm enquiring why when I put in our telephone number it is saying that we are not in an efibre area for some reason & do you have any idea when it will be available in our home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    I live in Carrick-on-Suir and I'm waiting for efibre to be installed. I was originally given a date of sometime in November 2013. Once the efibre map went live it said March 2014 & has kept getting pushed back for undisclosed reasons. It now finally shows as available in my town but when I put our phone number into the form on the efibre map page I get a message that says:
    Your home is not in an eFibre area
    However eircom is rolling out eFibre across Ireland
    We will remember the phone number / address on this computer.

I was in a persons house tonight not far from me and they had it installed on Monday. I'm enquiring why when I put in our telephone number it is saying that we are not in an efibre area for some reason & do you have any idea when it will be available in our home?
    Hello Dunnie1982

If you would like to PM me your existing land line number or specific address I will look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

You are probably direct fed from the exchange so ESB/Vodafone is probably your best bet. Tens of thousands more of us like you waiting to jump ship as soon as FTTH arrives and we can say bye bye Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

ClonNGB wrote: »
    You are probably direct fed from the exchange so ESB/Vodafone is probably your best bet. Tens of thousands more of us like you waiting to jump ship as soon as FTTH arrives and we can say bye bye Eircom.
    Unfortunately we aren't on the list for ESB in their initial rollout, probably the reason that Eircom are so slow to get fibre installed here as they know we have no alternative as UPC isn't available here either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    ClonNGB wrote: »
    Unfortunately we aren't on the list for ESB in their initial rollout, probably the reason that Eircom are so slow to get fibre installed here as they know we have no alternative as UPC isn't available here either.
    Hi Dunnie1982

Thanks for your PM

I can confirm that Your line is not currently connected to an efibre cabinet and at ppresent there are no plans yet made to suggest when it will be.

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]The availability of efibre is based on the roll out of fibre cabinets serving specific locations, unlike regular broadband where is available upon an enabled exchange

[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]I did ask operations if they could offer me an indication of when you could expect efibre however the best advice they could give me is that they will likely have more news on coverage in your area towards the end of 2015.[/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif]

Thanks

- Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Could you explain to me why it is delayed yet again? The end of 2015 is 2 years from the initial date which we were given for the service. There is a cabinet less than 30m from my house, as highlighted in This Image, it's not a fibre cabinet, but an engineer working on it in September told me that there would be a fibre cabinet installed at the location in the next 2-3 weeks (still not installed) and ready for operation before the new year.

On the 31st of October I took This Screenshot after inputting my telephone number on the efibre page, this said we would be connected in November. Myself and others have had conversations with you on here over the  last 18 months about efibre in Carrick, Example 1 & Example 2, in which either last years storms or unforeseen circumstances (which are never explained), are blamed. In our home we currently have 24Mb NGB on which we get a maximum 13Mbps download speed and a 0.6Mbps upload speed, and even getting these wasn't possible until I changed the DNS servers from the Eircom ones to Googles DNS servers as the broadband was unusable some evenings. 

As someone just out of college & currently looking for work in the IT industry it can take hours to upload files for interviews etc. so I have to travel 30km to Waterford to upload files using a friends internet as this way is much faster than doing it from home. I'm losing patience with the Eircom and if a better service come up before you connect me I will be forced to change over. All I'm asking you for is less vague answers to my enquiries as it's frustrating not getting an answer as to why it keeps getting pushed back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Hou1ie

Dunnie1982 isn't the only one getting annoyed with this, you can colour me miffed as well.
    I'm trying to run an IT business from home and basically could do with all the bandwidth I can get. We've been waiting (and getting constantly pawned off) for way too long now. 
    So can I ask one question ?
    I'd like to know the current estimate for when I (me, phone number 051-642953, not Carrick-on-Suir in general) can get eFibre?
    Is it end of 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Same here. Half our town connected to same exchange get efibre and half cant because we are ironically too close to the exchange. FTTH from esb vodafone looks like only option but that could be years away. 

Advertisement