Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - New York - 2015

Options
  • 14-01-2015 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I've booked the J1 for New York for the 30th May and returning after travelling the 14th October, so making the longest trip possible out of it, but was wondering of anyone flying from Dublin on the 30th of May at like 12 midday? It's a long shot but worth a try. First the flight is to Heathrow and then onto JFK. I'm travelling alone at the moment, but have friends going to Myrtle Beach and will travel to Los Angeles with them when travelling to get the flights home at the end of it all.

** Still searching for jobs and accommodation and am super willing to share a place to keep the costs down. I'd like to find work in Manhattan, but will definitely commute from Queens or Brooklyn. Would love to meet people to travel with. **

I'm 22 from Mayo but I'm a final year student in Limerick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Isn't the J1 90 days? Coming back in October is overstaying or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rego_Bass

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Isn't the J1 90 days? Coming back in October is overstaying or am I missing something?

You can work from the 15th May until the 14th September and from the date you finish work you have 30 days to travel the country but your last date of departure is the 14th of October. Ive opted to stay until the last possible day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 calron

hey i am planning on a J1 to NY this summer, going alone would be great to meet people that are going though. Dont know what to do about accommodation if anyone could help?
    Thanks

calron wrote: »
    hey i am planning on a J1 to NY this summer, going alone would be great to meet people that are going though. Dont know what to do about accommodation if anyone could help?
    Thanks

I'm waiting too, to see if more people are going to NYC. Accommodation is the toughest part about NYC because it's quite expensive when you're smack bang in we'd say central Manhattan. I wouldn't mind meeting a few people and sharing an apartment in Brooklyn or Queens.

I've friends going to Myrtle Beach, so if NYC doesn't go to plan, I'll be moving down to them as there's endless jobs there if you get there before the big student rush in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

There is a bigger thread in the Independent and Youth travel forum about J1 NYC , maybe ask for them to be merged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Aoiferyan92

Hey, I'm Aoife(23), myself and my friend Aisling(22) are heading to new york for the summer.
    We haven't got our flights booked yet but we are definitely looking to meet people to house/apartment share with to keep the costs down! (Have you researched the prices? They're crazy!)
    We aren't picky about where we stay or work but we do have a new Yorker to tell us what neighbourhoods to reeeeally not go to!

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    There is a bigger thread in the Independent and Youth travel forum about J1 NYC , maybe ask for them to be merged?

They don't seem to be very active but I'll definitely look into the forum! Cheers.

Hey, I'm Aoife(23), myself and my friend Aisling(22) are heading to new york for the summer.
    We haven't got our flights booked yet but we are definitely looking to meet people to house/apartment share with to keep the costs down! (Have you researched the prices? They're crazy!)
    We aren't picky about where we stay or work but we do have a new Yorker to tell us what neighbourhoods to reeeeally not go to!

Hey Aoife. I'd do my best to meet with people and apartment rent/share. Prices are mental from what I've looked up any how and a lot of landlords want first & last months rent up front so it's really tricky finding a suitable lease. You'd need to rob a bank to live in Manhattan, so Queens & Brooklyn look like the spots. I've a couple of contacts in NYC but it's hard getting in contact with them. I'm still waiting for replies myself.

I've been told a couple of areas to avoid also! Any idea when ye plan to fly out?

I'm also heading over, prices are crazy! End up living on a bench for the summer :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

I'd stay in Queens if I were ye. The nice areas in Brooklyn are a lot more expensive than the nice areas in Queens. Astroia (best nightlife in Queens), Sunnyside, Woodside, Jacksons Heights are all around 20-30 mins to Manhattan, are all safe enough areas and you would be able sub let a room from like $500 to $850 a month.

• Advertisement

NYC2013 wrote: »
    I'd stay in Queens if I were ye. The nice areas in Brooklyn are a lot more expensive than the nice areas in Queens. Astroia (best nightlife in Queens), Sunnyside, Woodside, Jacksons Heights are all around 20-30 mins to Manhattan, are all safe enough areas and you would be able sub let a room from like $500 to $850 a month.

Sounds great man. With prices like that a month to sublet, that part of Queens sounds good. Way cheaper than forking out huge money that we don't have. You'd be able to save quite a bit for travelling so if you were only paying 600 we'd say a month for a decent place.

I'm also heading over, prices are crazy! End up living on a bench for the summer :D.

Wouldn't fancy a bench in NYC of all the places in the world now haha Need to definitely sort a place to stay for sure! Getting a job is handy enough if you head over early before the rush of students in June.

Rego_Bass wrote: »
    Wouldn't fancy a bench in NYC of all the places in the world now haha Need to definitely sort a place to stay for sure! Getting a job is handy enough if you head over early before the rush of students in June.

Defo, I'm heading over really early (luckily my exams end real early). **** knows where to stay, something will crop up I'm sure.

Defo, I'm heading over really early (luckily my exams end real early). **** knows where to stay, something will crop up I'm sure.

I'd rather have a place sorted nearly before I go, than to be roaming round aimlessly, but will defo get something sorted in the next few months.

I'd rather have a place sorted nearly before I go, than to be roaming round aimlessly, but will defo get something sorted in the next few months.

Virtually impossible unless you stay in college dorms, because you realistically need to see a place before you move in / hand any $$ over.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 d2014

Hey everyone

Myself and my friend (both 21 year old Waterford lads, final year in ucc with the possibility of one or 2 more pals too) are planning on heading over to new york for the summer. We had an interview with the atlantic beach club in long island today and it went well but you'd never know

Does anyone know anything about this place? And also does anyone who's been to new york before for a J1 have any advice etc??

Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 d2014

d2014 wrote: »
    Hey everyone

Myself and my friend (both 21 year old Waterford lads, final year in ucc with the possibility of one or 2 more pals too) are planning on heading over to new york for the summer. We had an interview with the atlantic beach club in long island today and it went well but you'd never know

Does anyone know anything about this place? And also does anyone who's been to new york before for a J1 have any advice etc??

Thanks in advance!!

Also, we'd like to have jobs and accomodation sorted in advance if we could! Bit picky I know, but good to have it out of the way! Any help at all is appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ioc

Hey guys me and my twin brother are going to New york on 31st of May were going opt for the j1 visa plus job option looks a better deal less stress what type of jobs would be best to go for in new york and also where is best to rent ?

Thanks james

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BBBboy

Hey :)
    We are 4 girls all in our final year in UL are heading to NYC for the summer. Heading out late May and thinking of living in Queens. Not one of us have lived in NY before and would definitely be up for sharing. SO any advice on areas to stay or jobs would be greatly appreciated. Even those thinking of sharing let us know. Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

You can work from the 15th May until the 14th September and from the date you finish work you have 30 days to travel the country but your last date of departure is the 14th of October. Ive opted to stay until the last possible day.

Be VERY VERY careful with this - it is usually best to have a couple of day's leeway when leaving the US. Things happen, delays happen. If your flight left at 0001 on the 15th of October you are actually over stayed and out of status - turned down for future ESTA travel and needing to get a visa to re-enter. It happened to a friend of mine and she still has to apply for visa's for holiday's in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rw13g14

Hi guys,

I am a 20 year old student from Southampton, looking to get a J1 and go to New York mid June from London - I don't know anyone but would like to get a job, earn some money then maybe do a little travel before I come back :) If anyone might still be up for finding shared accommodation or has any suggestions where to look for jobs that would be great?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Schwarzenegger

I too am thinking about heading over for the summer 🇺🇸 What's the story with house sharing? Isn't there some weird thing about how the houses are completely empty and you need furniture ? also anyone sort a job yet? feel free to PM me 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Glenn Kearney

I'm going over on a j1 too this summer.

Looking for accommodation through AirBnB's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Isn't there some weird thing about how the houses are completely empty and you need furniture ?

:)

If you think about it its actually a lot less weird then renting a house and having it full of cheap crappy furniture that nobody wants.

:rolleyes:

InTheTrees wrote: »
    :)

If you think about it its actually a lot less weird then renting a house and having it full of cheap crappy furniture that nobody wants.

:rolleyes:

Exactly or furniture with bed bugs or some nasty **** living in it.

Urgh. Especially in NY, bed bugs are a huge problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bobmaster

I'm from Dublin, heading by myself to NY on the 25th if anyone would be interested in sharing a place?

I'm looking for a place in the next week. Im currently in Brooklyn.

Hey guys. anyone looking for an extra flat mate to keep the rent down?
    Im 28, from dublin. Currently in Coney Island, Brooklyn.

Advertisement