Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few cities to visit around Easter

Options
  • 14-01-2015 7:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi all,

So the wife and I are living in Boston and we are trying to see as much of america as we can while we are here. We intend going away for a week and a half or so in April around Easter and are set on SF and Napa to begin the trip for about 4 nights.

We have already been to vegas although 1 or 2 nights there again could be done. We are looking at flying back and taking in another couple of cities for 2 or 3 nights in each. We were thinking maybe austin and Nashville but San Diego is a possibility too. Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

One day and night: Morning at Hearst Castle in San Simeon (mid-state Pacific coast California on Rte 1), followed by an afternoon visit to the romantic village of Cambria (south next door to San Simeon), where there's a host of arts and antique shops, the Soldier Factory, watch the sun set on the Pacific, followed by evening supper with excellent locale wine at Sow's Ear Cafe, ending with a night spent at one of Cambria's B&Bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

The other option is that you could take the train across the country from NY to Emeryville (san francisco) and go from there. We did it last year and honestly saw more of america (and americans) that I thought possible. It was incredible and really cheap, around $300 per person including a bed on the train and all meals

We went SF->Chicago, overnighted in Chicago then on to NY.

Doing it in reverse, you could get over to SF, then rent a car and drive down the coast to LA and on to San Diego and fly back east.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

The other option is that you could take the train across the country from NY to Emeryville (san francisco) and go from there. We did it last year and honestly saw more of america (and americans) that I thought possible. It was incredible and really cheap, around $300 per person including a bed on the train and all meals

We went SF->Chicago, overnighted in Chicago then on to NY.

Doing it in reverse, you could get over to SF, then rent a car and drive down the coast to LA and on to San Diego and fly back east.

How long roughly did the train take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Well from SF

Left on Friday at 10am, arrived into Chicago Sunday at 4pm. Left Chicago at 6:40pm Monday and arrived into NY at 5pm Tuesday.

The views, especially on the SF->Chicago were incredible, going through the rockies. From Chicago to NY the people watching was great as a load of old order amish and mennonites got on - lovely bunch of people as well.

There is a viewing car as well and a bar downstairs. There isn't really a lot to do but look out the window and read, but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The other option is that you could take the train across the country.

I'm also a huge fan of trains. We're in Seattle and my wife is a nervous flyer and her family are in Minnesota so we've taken the train back a few times.

I absolutely love it. The train takes a route that you'd never drive through Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho and Washington.

Minneapolis to Seattle takes two nights. Cabins are clean and well run. Food is good. There's also a viewing car with a glass roof and seating facing outwards. They have a guide from the National Parks service come on board as it goes through the rockies which was interesting.

If you do it in the winter it gets dark really early so the views arent so great but its also pretty spectacular to take a long train trip through the snow.

http://www.amtrak.com/empire-builder-train

• Advertisement

the people watching was great as a load of old order amish and mennonites got on - lovely bunch of people as well.

Same on the northern route as well. They like to travel.

All dressed up in their 19th century clothes. They are lovely. Apparently there's a big community of them in the mountains in Montana so on our train they all got off there.

greeno wrote: »
    How long roughly did the train take?

For us we get on in Minneapolis (it left from CHicago in the morning) about 11pm and arrive in Seattle 2 days later at around 10am.

greeno wrote: »
    We were thinking maybe austin and Nashville but San Diego is a possibility too. Anyone got any suggestions?

New Orleans. If you've never been its really essential. Beautiful and like no other american city you've been to.

And Seattle. As an alternative to San Diego (which is just a big navy base). Seattle is a pretty city on Puget sound, stunning surrounding area, and a short trip up to Vancouver and British Columbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

InTheTrees wrote: »
    New Orleans. If you've never been its really essential. Beautiful and like no other american city you've been to.

And Seattle. As an alternative to San Diego (which is just a big navy base). Seattle is a pretty city on Puget sound, stunning surrounding area, and a short trip up to Vancouver and British Columbia.

I'd agree with New Orelans.
    It is different from all other cities, if you were thinking of Nashville I'd change that and head to NO, you could then try Nashville another time.

Advertisement