Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads Salted/gritted overnight

• 14-01-2015 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Anyone know if the roads were gritted last night?/yesterday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

N18 to Shannon was, road from the Cement Factory to the hospital was not. Like an ice rink earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I wonder what their excuse was for not doing it given this was wildly forecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I wonder what their excuse was for not doing it given this was wildly forecast?

It was Tuesday, you can't expect them to work on a Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Not sure gritting before or after snow will achieve much.
    I think the aim is to prevent ice on roads by gritting before freezing temps, but after any rain that would wash it away.

I guess the answer to snow is ploughing, or general preparedness amongst those likely to be impacted in a noticeable way.

4WD, Snow socks, snow tyres, decent driving ability, stay at home with a mug of hot chocolate until it fixes itself.. take your pick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Snow plough on the outside lane of the M7 this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

They were gritting in co limerick in ncw and barnagh on tues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

steveon wrote: »
    They were gritting in co limerick in ncw and barnagh on tues
    Did it do any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Did it do any good?

I was down there late into the night and drove back into the Limerick city in bad snowing conditions but tge roads were good but I heard of two trucks abandoned near where I was working early on weds morning

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Just spotted the gritter out this evening, punch's cross direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not sure gritting before or after snow will achieve much.
    I think the aim is to prevent ice on roads by gritting before freezing temps, but after any rain that would wash it away.

I guess the answer to snow is ploughing, or general preparedness amongst those likely to be impacted in a noticeable way.

4WD, Snow socks, snow tyres, decent driving ability, stay at home with a mug of hot chocolate until it fixes itself.. take your pick!

Gritting can prevent snow from lodging.

• Advertisement
Advertisement