Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting opportunity - Moving from Dublin to Cork

Options
  • 14-01-2015 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for some advise from people.

I have a house in south west Dublin currently with about 140k left on the mortgage and could possibly sell it for 240k.

A relative of my wife has offered us a house in Ballincollig, Cork for 200k which would be worth probably 300k or more.

I'm wondering would I be better off selling the house in Dublin or trying to rent the house out? By the looks of rental ads I could make a decent profit on renting. Currently have not much savings but could I leverage the house in Dublin against another mortgage for the house in Cork?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You're going to have to sit down and do some sums. Remember you have to pay tax on rental income, maybe as high as 52%, and not to mention you'll have to switch your mortgage to a BTL so the overhead will go up also and deal with tenants, repairs, etc. That's not to say it won't be worth it. It could mean you can make a profit as prices go up, but then you're speculating on the market. Talk to the bank also about the affordability of mortgaging the house in Cork with/without the house in Dublin.

These things should focus your mind, likely into a risky higher profit route (keep both houses) with more work, and a safer lower profit route (sell the Dublin house).

Advertisement