Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bleeding Rads

• 14-01-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi ,
    Looking for a bit of advice... I have few rad upstairs that keep getting air into them. Before I attempt to bleed the, Im hoping to get some advice.

Is it necessary to bleed all rads in the house starting downstairs? ( these rads are currently working fine)

What would the reason be for the air continuing to get into the rads? There is zoned heating in the house and when I put upstairs only on there is a bit of a rumble coming from downstairs ! Not sure if this is entirely unrelated though.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

You could possibly have a leak somewhere. The air in the rads usually comes from the water being replaced in the system frequently and with the heating of the new water oxygen is released. This oxygen then rises to the highest point in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Ropo

Is this something I need a plumber for this or something I could attempt to trace myself ( bit of a novice but would give it a go !)

Is this something I need a plumber for or something I could attempt to trace myself ( bit of a novice but would give it a go !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Bleed the rad that has the air in it first and see if it happens again. It could take several weeks just throw a hand on it every now and then. If it reoccurs then best to get a plumber for advice. Hope that helps

I bleed the rads and a tiny bit of air came out of one of them , none out of the 2nd rad Im having issues with. No water either. Wondering if it time to call a plumber or is there anything else I can try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

If you are taking air/water out then you need to replace it with something (water).
    If nothing is coming out, then no replacement fluid is going in, so the supply to this is likely still shut. If you dont know where or what this is, then you probably need a plumber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Some_randomer

I had the same problem and got it fixed today. Only the bottom third of the rads upstairs were getting hot and they were cold at the top. I tried bleeding them but no air was coming out.

The problem is that the system is low on water which means the upstairs rads aren't being filled to the top. I called a plumber and he first checked the pressure gauge at the gas boiler which was reading 0. Then he let more water in via an inlet tap in the hot press, and after this when we started to bleed the rads air started coming out and eventually water.

So you need to allow more water in to the system first and then start bleeding them. Let water in when the heating is off, then turn on the heat and start bleeding them.

Advertisement