Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert a eircom router into a wireless adapter

Options
  • 14-01-2015 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi there

Down stairs in the sitting room I have phone point which is connected to my Sky Broadband modem. From here a Cat 5 cable feeds to the sky box. I use the laptop wirelessy throughout the house for internet. I have a Windows 7 desktop PC upstairs in the office and it would be a big job to get a CAT 5 cable from the Sky modem to the PC. I have an unused Eircom D1000 zyxel modem. Can I sit this on top of my PC in the office, run a LAN cable from the Eircom router to the pc and then (here is the technical part) change the settings on the router (say change it from routing to bridging or assign it a fixed IP/DCHP address) to allow it to receive the signal from the sky modem and enable me to put my PC on the net. In escence I want to see can I convert the Eircom modem into a wireless adapter or wireless card for the PC.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

No, it's locked down, you can't do much with it other than broadcast wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What you're talking about is a wireless bridge, and as above cannot be done. Get a cheap wlan pci card from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Thanks for the help people.

Advertisement