Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startup help for returning emigrant

Options
  • 14-01-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Just a quick question. I have been working in he uk for the past 4 years and now have a business idea which i want to start at home. Is there any help/guidance i would be eligble for?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'd probably start networking, principally online, before returning, in your position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

It depends what area you are in, there are some exceptions but the basic answer is no, I started an online business that exports, older female, single parent, I tick every "box" and have got no help from anyone, it is tough going especially an online business but I am loving it and slowly but surely the business is increasing, the hours are ridiculous though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

When you move back go to your local enterprise office they run start your own business courses which will cover a lot of the basic running of a business related questions they will also know whether there are likely to be any grants or anything which you would possible be eligible for (unlikely but you never know!). Even something with a lot of potential is hard to get finance for initially if it is something that is easily scaleable and gets off to a good start you might find it easier to get funding in a year or so via enterprise ireland or even privately. They also have a lot of general information & links here which is worth looking through.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

Depending on what the idea is you can get some help - soft supports are generally available to all (mentoring, training) but financial help is firmly in the forecourt of innovation, so 'me too' businesses and local enterprises of the type cafe/hairdressers/shop where displacement is an issue will also not be financially supported. LEO is best first stop as jimmii suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

If you return here and sign on, you may well then qualify for STEA depending on your social welfare contributions in Ireland/Other EU countries. If you can qualify for Jobseekers Benefit then you are most of the way there, after that it is up to the quality of business case you make. see http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/short_term_enterprise_allowance.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

As mentioned above, your local LEO office is a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Duckett

I suggest you take a look at the support offered by Enterprise Irerland to immigrants seeking to establish a new HPSU business in Ireland - take a look at the Startinireland.com

Advertisement