Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warhammer: Total War

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Im going to give this game a try now as I have played many hours of Rome 2 but I just suck at it. I love Shogun 2 but I struggle to really do anything in Rome 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

if in doubt, online tutorials, follow their every step until you get the hang of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

sign up to SEGA's new promotion and select TW:W and you could win DLC if they win that day

http://ift.tt/2lsmjxy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Signed up for the humble bundle to get xcom 2 last month which is still haven't got stuck into yet so I decided to keep sub for TW Warhammer.
    Ill be honest I never really got into any of the TW games, last rts I enjoyed was starcraft2 campaign which wasnt anything of huge scale but a lot of fun all the same.

TW Warhammer scares me a bit , any recommended lets play to check out guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dcully wrote: »
    Signed up for the humble bundle to get xcom 2 last month which is still haven't got stuck into yet so I decided to keep sub for TW Warhammer.
    Ill be honest I never really got into any of the TW games, last rts I enjoyed was starcraft2 campaign which was anything of huge scale but a lot of fun all the same.

TW Warhammer scares me a bit , any recommended lets play to check out guys?

No so much Lets Play but check out PartyElites tutorial videos. Really brilliant series of videos that will teach you a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

No so much Lets Play but check out PartyElites tutorial videos. Really brilliant series of videos that will teach you a lot.

They are good for general feel of battles, but where I get overwhelmed is the tactical map. Its a lot more complicated then rts part of it. Though after today I got hang of it.
    If what, its a good start to watch some lets play of the race you want to play yourself, helps a lot and shows you stuff you wouldnt know about until you sow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Skerries wrote: »
    sign up to SEGA's new promotion and select TW:W and you could win DLC if they win that day

http://ift.tt/2lsmjxy

Cheers for the heads up.

I spotted this in the "How the competition works" section
    As part of MWNL we like to try and make our whole strategy catalogue as easy for anyone to jump in and try as possible. Once the full event kicks off on the 16th Feb, all the titles involved and a wide selection of their associated franchises, are offered at great discounts over on Steam – so there’s never been a better time to try them all out!

So I guess I'll be buying the DLC too. :D

Just building my PC and this is one of the games I've been really looking forward to playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

many thanks for the head up on these! really highlights how abysmal the built in tutorial system is - only about 4 or 5 vids in and loads of seemingly fundamental things completely new to me..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Orcs are easy to start off with, just go Grimgore full melee skillpoints and have your entire army supporting him as he beats the tar out of the enemy commander and routs everything else.

Or ye can Turtle from the start. Just spend around 30 turns making gold and defending your single territory, dont buy any units, if you get attacked, or rebelled against, just wait it out and hammer it to bits, then when everyone's fighting each other you stroll out with your units of choice and waltz all over everything.

Plus ye dont need to worry too much about fightiness - you can raid your own territory to counter that then murder the rebelling army for bonus skill points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Orcs are easy to start off with, just go Grimgore full melee skillpoints and have your entire army supporting him as he beats the tar out of the enemy commander and routs everything else.

Or ye can Turtle from the start. Just spend around 30 turns making gold and defending your single territory, dont buy any units, if you get attacked, or rebelled against, just wait it out and hammer it to bits, then when everyone's fighting each other you stroll out with your units of choice and waltz all over everything.

Plus ye dont need to worry too much about fightiness - you can raid your own territory to counter that then murder the rebelling army for bonus skill points.

With a bit of experience with the game, sure. But for a first game, nah.

• Advertisement

it works like every other TW game, if ye ever played any of those in the last 17 years or so, be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So beat my first campaign on this one, could have done it much earlier but I didn't bother capturing some of the razed cities in the north (from Chaos)

Dwarves are the only really strong enemy now, and if they didn't keep sending regiments of renown (which I don't' have :( ) I wouldn't be pulling through by the skin of my teeth each time. Main reason is they attack me in a swampy area so there's usually a lot of marsh/swap on the map to tie them down. Might have to take the chance and send another army there to finish off them at this part of the map.

Made peace with the 2 northern viking lads, which is great as their constant raiding was almost bankrupting me and only reason I held on up there while in full scale war in the south was I'd the extra defence options of the cities.

mousillon is my vassal and they're No. 2 in strength but it'll be war soon, Elves only have their 1 city left and everyone further south that isn't a dwarf isn't much of an issue. Sieging the last Dwarven Karag in the west.

The game might win the Make war not love thing so there'll be some free DLC and maybe another discount.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I cannot figure this game out at all.

Every time I've started, I get to a point where I conquer my first territories, I've got a sizeable army of the best troops I've researched and then 2 monstrously high level armies from someone will appear and simply steamroller over everything I have by turn 80 and it's game over.

I've read guides, watched videos, I appear to be doing the same things as they recommend, but I've never seen anyone running into the sorts of monster armies I've been facing.

There's obviously some sort of mechanical something I'm missing, but I'm damned if I can figure out what it is. Maybe I'm turtling too hard, so I go and expand - then I'm over stretched, bankrupt and I get stomped. Maybe I build up a huge nest egg of cash and quickly muster a second army to go raiding - roffle-stomped by massively experienced and high-tech AI armies, boxed into my own territories whilst they raid with impunity and my ever dwindling armies do less and less damage.

It's very, very frustrating tbh, I can see there's an amazing game waiting to be played here, but I'm damned if I can even get to turn 100 without the entire thing circling the drain. I've tried with both Empire and Dwarves and on Easy settings, but I obviously just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Shiminay wrote: »

My with Empire is this:
    First few turns:
    Make friends with as many people as you can with diplomacy. non-aggression pacts and trade. Check up every few turns to see if you can strengthen ties with other humans. Confederate whenever possible, preferably with someone closeby. The lads in the far North are f*cked when Chaos come, so dont bother confederatinv with them. This keeps the North and West in check.

Take over your province from the secessionists. Give every settlement a wall and all the green buildings to generate money, growth and happiness.
    Only use Altdorf for military buildings.
    Use this strategy with every province, although I wouldn't bother building military buildings in every province.

Start moving armies south to fight dwarves and greenskins, or east to fight vampires. Vamps are easier since you can turtle against them if you only have low tier units. Keep a few priests and witch hunters to scout ahead and remove corruption. Rinse, repeat, keep the cash flowing in, raid when you're not attacking.

Last parts for my machine arriving Tuesday so finally going to get to play this.

It's pretty much the reason I'm building the machine. :D

Probably going to start with either vampire counts or dwarves.

Damn excited!!:D

Every time I've started, I get to a point where I conquer my first territories, I've got a sizeable army of the best troops I've researched and then 2 monstrously high level armies from someone will appear and simply steamroller over everything I have by turn 80 and it's game over.

I've read guides, watched videos, I appear to be doing the same things as they recommend, but I've never seen anyone running into the sorts of monster armies I've been facing.

There's obviously some sort of mechanical something I'm missing, but I'm damned if I can figure out what it is. Maybe I'm turtling too hard, so I go and expand - then I'm over stretched, bankrupt and I get stomped. Maybe I build up a huge nest egg of cash and quickly muster a second army to go raiding - roffle-stomped by massively experienced and high-tech AI armies, boxed into my own territories whilst they raid with impunity and my ever dwindling armies do less and less damage.

It's very, very frustrating tbh, I can see there's an amazing game waiting to be played here, but I'm damned if I can even get to turn 100 without the entire thing circling the drain. I've tried with both Empire and Dwarves and on Easy settings, but I obviously just don't get it.

Some of the ones i've used when outnumbered badly here. It's usually Chaos that gets me back into the turtle shell

When i see i'm being attacked in multiple forces, it's really handy having a lord with lightning strike. You can attack each army individually, even if you're going to lose it's a good idea to nail the commander's army who has the scariest units. like arty or ranged - if you can plug the rest up behind a walled settlement you can outlast them while you're preparing a new lord's army to come assist you.
    Playing for a strategic loss is another good idea when you're vastly outnumbered.
    Literally go in with a sole objective of taking out arty/ranged or some elite unit. Obviously ye need to sacrifice a lot to do this, but lure the fastmovers away and use your own to nail whatever it is, stealth units are great for this.
    And ye need to obliterate the unit completely or they'll regen, albeit slowly, unless they capture a settlement.

Ambush
    A tiny army with the right firepower can decimate a much larger and better equipped one.
    Use the terrain to set up the ambush and lure the bastards into it with a weaker army. Use high ground, and dont give it up. Arty on a hill will rain death on everything including your own infantry. Stagger your forces and keep a regiment of melee to defend it and flank it with ranged units if possible.
    Valleys are great if you play Empire, set up a small force on both sides and a lure unit/s in the basin. Ranged & Arty or Melee Flank for best effect.
    I've done one where i had artillery as the lure in the basin, which worked hilariously badly for the enemy. The AI apparently couldn't see my arty and just stood around getting mashed into paste until i ran out of ammo :D

Melee Lord and healing trinkets/buffs/units
    If you can heal your melee specced lord, you dont need a full army, only a support one to protect the buffing unit. High ground again.

Kiting with Cavalry
    Exhaust your opponents by having them all run after a single cavalry unit while the rest of your army sits in the trees laughing their bollocks off, when they're all sufficiently gasping for air, have your cav leggit into the trees and your infantry leggit out at the enemy. Don't let them rest or they'll recuperate. if they split up, draw one force close and the other far away Dougal.

Might start a new campaign and stream it if you wanna take a look
    be up here in a few minutes
    https://youtu.be/ofbK9iLP0mk

Not sure If I should continue with the finished campaign or start a new one.

Only ones still alive are;

Dwarfs, who've got 2/3 of all the eastern mountains and the desert
    Border princes who've got a small sliver of land of which I've taken a capital from to guard the mountain pass so the dwarves can't get in.
    Estalia, have 2 regions, one in the north but since while not an ally they have military access so they're content with going north to fight the 2 viking chaos crowd who I'm at peace with.
    Mousillon, they're a vassal and since I'm at war with everyone they don't like it's going fine and not deteriorating.

I keep getting the error of no VGA signal when I turn my monitor on. I have a GT 630 graphics card and also I don't have any sound, do I need a HDMI monitor slot to get sound and for my monitor to work? The monitor only recognizes my VGA when I take it out and put it in a few times while turning the PC on and off a few times. Frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Only got this last week when it was $12 in the Humble Monthly. Started my first game with Dwarves to get used to it. Have finally taken over everything south of me so all the badlands & mountains, except for Stonemine Tower & Bitterstone Mine which are owned by Clan Angrund who I have an alliance with. Wiped out the Greenskins, Top Knotz and Bloody Handz. Was in an Alliance with Karak Azul for ages but they just wouldn't confederate. Finally parked two armies outside each of their remaining two provinces and asked again and they finally agreed.

Moving all my Armies back North know in preparation for the coming Chaos invasion, have seen a few agents coming in past Karaz-a-Karak and one army so won't be long now. Empire have also been wiped out so very little buffer between myself & Chaos. Finding it hard to get my trade income back up, was raking it in, then Empire got wiped out, as did a couple of the other dwarf factions so my only current trade partners are the Border Princes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I keep getting the error of no VGA signal when I turn my monitor on. I have a GT 630 graphics card and also I don't have any sound, do I need a HDMI monitor slot to get sound and for my monitor to work? The monitor only recognizes my VGA when I take it out and put it in a few times while turning the PC on and off a few times. Frustrating.

If your monitor has speakers, then using the HDMI on it will work - HDMI carries an audio signal, VGA doesn't. Otherwise, hook up the soundcard on your motherboard to a set of speakers or headphones.

• Advertisement

If your monitor has speakers, then using the HDMI on it will work - HDMI carries an audio signal, VGA doesn't.  Otherwise, hook up the soundcard on your motherboard to a set of speakers or headphones.
    Ah it doesn't. VGA should work then? So just use headphones for sound? How do I get my soundcard to switch to headphones?

Ah it doesn't. VGA should work then? So just use headphones for sound? How do I get my soundcard to switch to headphones?
    Google is your best friend here, or the computers and technology forum.

Stick your headphones into the green audio jack (or usb port if it's a usb headset) and it should switch automatically.

if that doesn't work got to
    Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Manage Audio Devices
    and make sure that your headphones are detected and are set as the default device.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Only got this last week when it was $12 in the Humble Monthly. Started my first game with Dwarves to get used to it. Have finally taken over everything south of me so all the badlands & mountains, except for Stonemine Tower & Bitterstone Mine which are owned by Clan Angrund who I have an alliance with. Wiped out the Greenskins, Top Knotz and Bloody Handz. Was in an Alliance with Karak Azul for ages but they just wouldn't confederate. Finally parked two armies outside each of their remaining two provinces and asked again and they finally agreed.

Moving all my Armies back North know in preparation for the coming Chaos invasion, have seen a few agents coming in past Karaz-a-Karak and one army so won't be long now. Empire have also been wiped out so very little buffer between myself & Chaos. Finding it hard to get my trade income back up, was raking it in, then Empire got wiped out, as did a couple of the other dwarf factions so my only current trade partners are the Border Princes.

Bloody stunties taking it easy in the south.

Chaos showing up gives a buff to mostly everyone so you'll get could get a confederation sooner or later. Got Tilian to become my vassal the turn I met them.

Isabella von Carstein free due to the valentine's day "Make war not love" event.

just got sent a bunch of steam key codes from that event

I have one duplicate if anyone wants it

Total War Rome II: Blood and Gore DLC

First up best dressed, send me a pm if ye want it :)

edit 2.. still have it if anyone wants it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Sent a pm but didn't realise it was dlc nevermind!

I've a different duplicate.

Shogun 2 Blood Pack

Send me a pm if you're interested.
    Varik wrote: »
    Isabella von Carstein free due to the valentine's day "Make war not love" event.

Guess that means I'll be delaying my VC play through until the 28th then :D

Have all the Blood DLC dups from event if anyone wants them.

Anyone else able to do better, first real fight using the Dwarfs and just about managed a pyrrhic victory. Only lost 1 unit in the end.

You've to unzip it as Boards is oddly not familiar with the very common .replay filetype. File needs to be place below then, and you can watch my game or try to do it on your own.

C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer\replays

Will demand proof of said victory.

• Advertisement

Have all the Blood DLC dups from event if anyone wants them.

Anyone else able to do better, first real fight using the Dwarfs and just about managed a pyrrhic victory. Only lost 1 unit in the end.

You've to unzip it as Boards is oddly not familiar with the very common .replay filetype. File needs to be place below then, and you can watch my game or try to do it on your own.

C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer\replays

Will demand proof of said victory.

I'll take it!

eeguy wrote: »
    I'll take it!

Which one.

https://dashboard.totalwar.com/home

You can apparently get the Betronia DLC a day early. Still free.

Yep it's on there now, 2.1gb

gonna give it a blast :)

Ahh, goes live today at 4pm, 3 new Bret factions

2.1 Gbs
    Be tomorrow before I'd get that down anyway!:D

Donwload wouldn't start for a bit.

No word on when early access for the DLC to Total war forum members, meant to be a steam code but they're saying they're having technical difficulties.

• Advertisement

3 new for bret and 1 for VC

Apparently technical problems with the early access are prohibiting everyone from actually playing the dlc xD

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/836248020706480128

Apparently technical problems with the early access are prohibiting everyone from actually playing the dlc xD

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/836248020706480128

Up for me now :)

Can you actually play the Bret factions or is it just updated to the 2.1gb patch with the bretonnia main menu screen and updated factions list?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have the 2.1 gb update done, the Bretonnian DLC is listed, on my DLC as being acquired, but it doesn't seem to switch the state to installed.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    I have the 2.1 gb update done, the Bretonnian DLC is listed, on my DLC as being acquired, but it doesn't seem to switch the state to installed.

Yeah that's the same as me atm too. That's the technical difficulty they were on about

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yeah that's the same as me atm too. That's the technical difficulty they were on about

I suspect it's because Steam reckons the release date is still the 28th, so it won't install.

Could be, i'd say if it's going to be fixed it'll be one of those 6pm things, if not, then it'll be tomorrow.

Sorry was on way back from work so didn't see, ye it's up as installed.

410467.jpg

lol, i think they seriously botched total war access with this

still showing as not installed for me.

lol, i think they seriously botched total war access with this

still showing as not installed for me.

Did the update install first

Just got a 2GB update which is installed, no sign of that DLC though and the store says it unlocks in 19 hours or something.

Just got a 2GB update which is installed, no sign of that DLC though and the store says it unlocks in 19 hours or something.

You needed to sign up to their forum, and that's where you get it.

Did the update install first

Yeah, they've posted about this and how to fix there about an hour or so ago.

Get this, to fix the problem, (this is the official what to do if you're in the same boat as me) i have go into steam, click help, click warhammer, click "i want to permanently remove this game from my library", choose bretonnia and click okay..

when ye get that far it gives a dialogue that says "are ye bleedin' sure?" "are you sure you want to remove Total War:Warhammer from your library", which is kind of scarey.. but click it anyway, and MAKE SURE you choose bretonnia ffs..

then start your TW access link clicking from scratch.

Ffs. What a mess, and here..
    from their post about 2 hours ago.
    Bretonnia is now available for everyone who is signed up to Total War Access! (And sorry for the delay.)
    EDIT: If you got a bad key earlier and can't play, in Steam click Help, Steam Support, select Total War WARHAMMER, click 'I want to permanently remove this game from my account', select Bretonnia, confirm. This will remove the Bretonnia DLC from your account at which point you can acquire a new key from Access.
    We're really sorry that we are more than 3 hours late with the start of the Early Access for Bretonnia, it should be up and working now if you visit your Total War Access Dashboard (https://dashboard.totalwar.com).
    There’s a chance you might still run into trouble if you were one of the people who grabbed a key already, right when we went live originally. This may mean that you are blocked from getting a new one (Steam thinks you already have it) and will have to wait till the official go-live time tomorrow at 4pm to get it working. Though we are working with Valve to see if we can sort this out faster for you.
    We can only apologise if that’s the case, and we're really sorry that you will have to wait a bit longer, especially when you must have been so keen to grab it.
    What went wrong:
    What happened earlier today was that we pressed the go button a little earlier than 4pm GMT to flush out any bugs and found a big one; Access was dishing out some codes that didn’t give early access, these would just download Bretonnia as normal tomorrow at the full release time.
    So we quickly turned off the button in the dashboard that granted keys until we could figure out what was going on. Thankfully, it only took us a couple of hours to secure fresh, correct keys and load them into the system. So all should now be fine and the keys will unlock Bretonnia early as intended.
    So why bother?:
    You might rightly wonder why we’re going to all this trouble, to frankly just annoy people as it might seem.
    We’re testing Total War Access at the moment, but the idea long-term is to create an account that connects you with our official website and forums and gives you a bunch of free Total War stuff over time. In return we get your email address so we can contact you (if you let us, you can decide not to).
    Of course, we’re intending it to be a good thing, and this was supposed to be a neat test of it, so clearly I’m pretty annoyed that it’s not got off to the best start and I’m furious we’ve let you, our biggest fans, down.
    Even for those guys having to wait till official launch time tomorrow to play, we do hope you enjoy Bretonnia in the end. A huge amount of work and love went into it, so we hope you have a great time with it in the end and that makes up a bit for the false start today.

https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar/

I just restarted Steam and it fixed itself, no need for scary permanent removal stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement