Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warhammer: Total War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i wasn't so lucky :/

It's working now though, that chivalry system is interesting.. and i learned that declaring war on other bretonnian factions is not the way to go, at all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Didn't even start them yesterday.

Tried to finish off my dwarf campaign, just have to somehow clear some grudges that require heroes to assassinate people lvl 20 thanes and i can't manage it (think I may just wipe the faction out as that also get's rid of it.)

Been getting a lot of traits since the update, a lot of them bad.

Had a mission for an item that I simply couldn't do as I never had the trade amount required and now no one else is alive. Just simple razing cities and getting asked for peace each turn by AI.

Still not got the hang of monsters or monstrous infantry/cavalry/whatever. With the empire I'd have demigryphs with halberds.
    i wasn't so lucky :/

It's working now though, that chivalry system is interesting.. and i learned that declaring war on other bretonnian factions is not the way to go, at all :D

You research confederation with them and then you've a bonus to that.

How are people finding siege gameplay with bretonnian, managed to double fake out marienburg and laid siege but had to attack straight away.

Won in the end by using a unit of Pegasus knights to cross the wall and start to capture inside so then infantry followed to stop them capturing. Had my army at the gate out of the tower reach and had to use 2 trebuchet and my lord to break the gate down. then with the enemy separated I managed to use 2 men at arms and 2 other in with the lord and a damsel and a few rear charges from the Pegasus.

All my knights were useless other than arrow fodder at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So, I utterly broke my latest playthrough, but completely without intending to, and completely 'legally'. I've a few mods installed but none that I can see caused this.

Started a campaign as Bordeleaux. As it happens, I always destroy the infantry side of things and focus Cav when playing Bretonnian factions (yes, I know all of a few days). So I had the cavalry building which let me recruit two paladins.

Within the first three turns, I got the event "Orc incursions" which was -20 per turn control - not sure if this happens every game. So I was fighting ****ty Orc armies every turn/second turn which levelled my first LL Alberic de Bordeleaux up very fast. I went all the blue skills to get to Servants of Manann fast. Took me maybe until turn 10? What it gives you is +5 levels for Paladins recruited in the local province.
    The really really lucky part was ... "Military Training" random event (training the children myself) gave me +4 for Paladins across all regions for ~10 turns.

So I could recruit two automatic level 10 Paladin agents straight away. One of the late tier Paladin skills is Exemplar, which gives you +1,+2 and +3 per skill point in it to every unit recuited in the local region.

So straight out the gate, I was getting rank 6 exp and above units (three silver chevrons+) Coupled with a few region bonuses that I got later on, and basically all my units are more or less rank 9 (three gold chevrons). Nothing can stand against a charge from masses of rank 9 Bretonnian cavalry. Absolutely nothing so far has proven to be anything but a speed bump for these bastards.

It's glorious.

Certainly wasn't a deliberate tactic on my part, I just got really really lucky I think. Still going to annihilate all before me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I finally picked this up over the weekend. I know the Warhammer universe but have never played a Total War game. Is there a basic strategy guide anyone could point me towards? failing that are there any real high-level beginners tips you'd give?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I finally picked this up over the weekend. I know the Warhammer universe but have never played a Total War game. Is there a basic strategy guide anyone could point me towards? failing that are there any real high-level beginners tips you'd give?

The campaign stuff isn't really explained very well in-game, so I recommend watching videos online. You'll learn a lot just watching, etc.

Here's one for example that I sent a mate a while back when he was starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Beefy78 wrote: »

I found these very useful

Full Playlist

Full Playlist

A few personal tips start with
    • On your First campaign go with Empire or Dwarves.
      They seem to be the easiest to get to grips with
    • Fight the first couple of battles even if the auto resolve is massively in your favour.
      It will help you get used to the controls.
    • Try to get a full stack (20 unit army) as fast as possible.
      Don't worry too much about the quality of the units. You can replace any crappy ones later.
      However try to keep some balance to the units(ranged, anti-infantry, anti-large, etc.)
    • Prioritise growth buildings at the start.
      This will help you later on as you need higher tier settlements to build the buildings that give you access to the more elite units.
      Higher tier settlements also have better garrisons so you don't have to worry as much about protecting them.
    • One army at a time.
      Only create new stacks when you can afford to.
      No point in having multiple stacks if it puts a strain on your finances.
    • Be Diplomatic.
      You can get a good income from trade and confederation is the easiest way to expand.

For your army.

Try to have a good mix of melee infantry, ranged, and mounted units.

Melee units with shields are your front line troops - anything else should attack the flanks.

Ranged units are crap at melee fighting - keep them close to the front line but not on it.

Mounted units always flank. Attack theirs, protect yours.

For your cities.

Provinces are split up into 2/4 or 5 zones, once you've captured or occupied all of these you get a province bonus - you cant end turn without it having a popup and you get to choose which.

You dont have to build all the buildings.

If you're being attacked mercilessly - build a wall/s and upgrade them as much as you can.

You dont need to garrison an army (although it helps sometimes)- each city and town has it's own.. fairly crap ones to start with, but as you build your cities they become fairly large.

Building "growth" building like fields will increase how often you can upgrade your town or city, and increase the amount of replenishment for your armies.

Military buildings unlock specific military units - like archers or cavalry, or even artillery etc.

Your first province should have a money maker - like a gold mine or some other form of income. A military building like a barracks or whatever for general purpose bog standard infantry, and whatever else you see fit.
    This all depends on which faction and what way you want to play.

Personally, the best way to play for me is to go defensive at the start - sort out what buildings you need or want. Have your army standing by close to your main city. Take a few turns to see what's going on, make a bit of cash, then head out once you're confident - dont be afraid to retreat and rebuild an army. Also, if your legendary lord dies.. you'll get him/her back in a few turns if you can manage to survive that long.

Just take your time with it, it's it's own reward.

I have this game from the last humble bundle monthly, its not really my kind of game so I'd be willing to swap it if someone has a good offer on it.

• Advertisement

All DLC (excluding wood elves) 25% off on steam.
    Base game is 50% off.

Good god does that area in the north-west kill you fast, 1/3 of a unit dead per turn in attrition when I had to go there for bretonnia. Went most of the way by sea, and then 2 turns to get into position as I had to move so I'd enough movement to encamp so as not to lose anything.

Varik wrote: »
    Good god does that area in the north-west kill you fast, 1/3 of a unit dead per turn in attrition when I had to go there for bretonnia. Went most of the way by sea, and then 2 turns to get into position as I had to move so I'd enough movement to encamp so as not to lose anything.

There's a science tech you can research for that, reduces the attrition rate up north, I think. It's still ****, you're still using raiding stance a lot, then battle, then fort up to replenish, then raid again to the next place.

It's a pain, but I suppose rooting those bastards out should be.

There's a science tech you can research for that, reduces the attrition rate up north, I think. It's still ****, you're still using raiding stance a lot, then battle, then fort up to replenish, then raid again to the next place.

It's a pain, but I suppose rooting those bastards out should be.

Raiding loses honour or whatever, moving 50% and encamping then moving 50% next turn and encamp and I fought that 3rd turn.

Needed to replenish a bit anyway and also had all the tech researched, just didn't want any negative traits for my factions leader from raiding.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Finally getting to grips with this after an ill fated Empire campaign that was over in less than 10 turns. Switched to Dwarfs, watched a few youtube guides and finding it much easier now.

Hadn't played a Total War game before so it's all pretty new to me. Still not sure how a lot of the mechanics work exactly (no idea what to do with heroes for example).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm the same, no idea how to play a Total War game until now :) Heroes can wander the lands and scout other civs for you and they can attack enemy settlements and armies to damage them before you launch a big attack with an army of your own. They've got different abilities. You can also add them to your armies as an additional unit (but they'll count towards your 20).

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm the same, no idea how to play a Total War game until now :) Heroes can wander the lands and scout other civs for you and they can attack enemy settlements and armies to damage them before you launch a big attack with an army of your own. They've got different abilities. You can also add them to your armies as an additional unit (but they'll count towards your 20).

Yeah all I've done with my two yet are deploy or damage walls in a settlement I was about to attack. I might stick one of them in my main army and see how it goes.

When you embed them in armies they can also help boost your troops stats and even them experience depending on what skills they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Really getting back into warhammer total war now, I haven't played much sense the end of last summer. I got all the dlc on sale minus the wood elves which i picked up anyways. Getting back into multiplayer a lot of nice changes with being able to select items and which spells you want to take with lords and heroes. If anyone is up for some multiplayer battles add me on steam, IrishRook

My schedule is a bit all over the place for gaming though. Cause of shift work and being a parent :p

Well things took a turn. A bunch of greenskin armies, all massive and with lords a few levels above mine steam rolled me last night so now I'm back to just controlling silver roads.

I managed to fight them off afterwards though by rebuilding my main army (which got completely wiped). I stuck a runesmith in the army this time and have an engineer up to lvl11 who's job is to assassinate enemy heroes.

My main concern now is I see people have completed thee campaign in 100 turns and I'm on turn 80 or so still with only one province :eek:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    My main concern now is I see people have completed thee campaign in 100 turns and I'm on turn 80 or so still with only one province :eek:

I've seen those too, but I honestly much prefer taking my time, building up some money and tech and expanding carefully, maintaining allies and keeping the trade income going. Sure, I probably could do things faster, but who cares? I'd rather do it my way.

After al, Khorne cares not when the blood flows, only that it flows.

I suffered a rather ignominious defeat there yesterday in my first Wood Elves campaign. Twenty to thirty turns in or so, I had one full army off besieging the Crooked Moon to make the dwarves like me more. Beastmen full stack appears, takes out my backup army minding the base at home, razes three of my outposts and then besieged my home region. At that stage, he was up to two full stacks, which my one stack went up against. Played defensive, but he was full of individual heroes that distracted my archers from really hammering them from the heights above. Took out twice my number of losses, but still lost the battle and the campaign. F*cking beastmen.

• Advertisement

Yeah i prefer to play these kinds of games pretty slowly too, there's a lot more enjoyment for me to build up my tech rather than just plough through my enemies really quick.

Regards diplomacy, I'm trying to stay friendly with all the other dwarf nations with the long term goal of a confederation, is this a viable approach? I presume I have to control all the dwarf provinces to some degree for win conditions anyway. Would like to remain friendly with the humans too though the Border prince's don't seem that enamoured with me at the moment.

Regards diplomacy, I'm trying to stay friendly with all the other dwarf nations with the long term goal of a confederation, is this a viable approach? I presume I have to control all the dwarf provinces to some degree for win conditions anyway. Would like to remain friendly with the humans too though the Border prince's don't seem that enamoured with me at the moment.

Yep, generally you'd need to control (through conquest or diplomacy) all the 'home' dwarf regions, including the ones over by Bretonnia and the ones up North by the Chaos Wastes (these can be a real pain). I usually go Confederation over conquest, since it makes more sense, you get it "for free" as such.

Border Princes (and Tilea, Estalia) are prickly f*ckers, they take the hump a lot even if you try and play nice with them. I usually end up wiping them out regardless of who I play. They've some nice lands if you're a human/VC player, plenty of ports for income and quite difficult to attack due to their location, so easy to defend. Keeping friendly with the Empire though is relatively easy as a dwarf player, and they can prove invaluable in distracting the Vampire Counts and Chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Lads, there's a countdown timer on the official TW site. Is there a big announcement due for the next Warhammer (as in Warhammer's version of Attila), or is this more likely related to Arena or something else?

Lads, there's a countdown timer on the official TW site. Is there a big announcement due for the next Warhammer (as in Warhammer's version of Attila), or is this more likely related to Arena or something else?

Just beat me!! :D

People are saying that it's the next warhammer.
    The steamy jungle and temple you can see in the distance are clues that it's Lustria.

They've been hinting about it recently.

Get ready to ride into battle on a T-Rex!!:D

I'm not familiar with Warhammer lore, at all.... But yes. I will get ready to ride into battle on a T-Rex!!!

I was more a 40K player than Warhammer, but I remember some of the lore:

So in Lustria, it's where the Slaan live - Lizardmen that are heavily influenced by native South American cultures like the Aztecs and Incas. There are also Vampire Counts along the coast if memory serves. What's missing from the current game is the High Elves who are on an island between The Old World (the current map) in the East and Lustria in the West. To the North of the High Elves are the Dark Elves - a corrupted off-shoot of the High Elves who once tried to separate their lands and caused a massive ecological disaster.

Now, all that has probably changed since Games Workshop released their controversial Age of Sigmar update to the Warhammer World a little while ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I'm not familiar with Warhammer lore, at all.... But yes. I will get ready to ride into battle on a T-Rex!!!

So there's a second continent to the west of the old world where the Lizard men live in an Aztec like society.
    Dark elves live there too
    There's an island between the two continents controlled by the high elves, so plenty more races for CA to be released. Not to mention the Scaven!

Oh yea, forgot about the Skaven! They're mutant rat-men for anyone wondering, very subterranean/swarm of numbers kind of an army. As I recall the lore said they basically had tunnels all across the planet and were as likely to war with each other as anyone else. Very like Beastmen except more technical (strange artillery weapons and firearms units). Anyone who's played Vermintide will know them - they're the enemies you face.

Ah yeah, I remember them from the Vermintide reviews. So, lots of scope for this expandalone, or whatever they call them. Good stuff!

I think my campaign is screwed. I've confederated with one of the other Dwarf nations but Chaos is starting to make its way through with ease. Greenskins are still keeping my main army occupied in the south. Grombrindal still isn't level 20 and I'm constanly getting attacked by Orc Big Bosses. Ended up calling it a night when the game crashed.

What would be the best course of action here? Stop expanding and concentrate on fighting off Chaos?

• Advertisement

I think my campaign is screwed. I've confederated with one of the other Dwarf nations but Chaos is starting to make its way through with ease. Greenskins are still keeping my main army occupied in the south. Grombrindal still isn't level 20 and I'm constanly getting attacked by Orc Big Bosses. Ended up calling it a night when the game crashed.

What would be the best course of action here? Stop expanding and concentrate on fighting off Chaos?

Consolidate what you have.

It's always a good idea to take a few turns to organise after a confederation.

Add defences to the settlements that are in danger so that you don't need to use your army to protect them.

If the orks are really bothering you build up a cheap stack (mainly dwarf warriors, quarrellers) to either:
    1. hold off the horde while your main army goes off and deals with Chaos
    2. Support your main army so that it can knock the greenskins back before you go after Chaos

I'd be leaning towards B there but that would rely on you having another army or strong defences to help fend off Chaos.

If any of your settlements get attacked and the balance bar is completely against you manually defend it anyway. You'll inflict a lot more casualties than the auto-resolve will and that should slow the advance of chaos or the green skins.

is Grombrindal the only Legendary lord available at the moment?

What's your cash flow like?

What difficulty are you playing at?

Remouad wrote: »
    Consolidate what you have.

It's always a good idea to take a few turns to organise after a confederation.

Add defences to the settlements that are in danger so that you don't need to use your army to protect them.

If the orks are really bothering you build up a cheap stack (mainly dwarf warriors, quarrellers) to either:
    1. hold off the horde while your main army goes off and deals with Chaos
    2. Support your main army so that it can knock the greenskins back before you go after Chaos

I'd be leaning towards B there but that would rely on you having another army or strong defences to help fend off Chaos.

If any of your settlements get attacked and the balance bar is completely against you manually defend it anyway. You'll inflict a lot more casualties than the auto-resolve will and that should slow the advance of chaos or the green skins.

is Grombrindal the only Legendary lord available at the moment?

What's your cash flow like?

What difficulty are you playing at?

First ever total War game so I started on Easy. Thorgrim is available but every time I recruit him he gets assassinated so he's languishing at level 2 and I was too afraid to use him in the battlefield because of his low level (literally every lord that attacks me is 10+)

Cash flow is brutal, only making a few hundred a turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Cash flow is brutal, only making a few hundred a turn.

With Dwarves you can make this much higher easily. Build the Gem Mine in your capital and upgrade it as far as you can. There's also a settlement North-East of you that has a Gold Mine (can't remember the name) that you should look to capture within the first few turns. Plenty of the settlements to your South also have Wood / Dye / Coal mines as well.

Get as many trade agreements going as you can. I'm pretty far in at this point, like 140 turns, but I'm pulling in 14k profit per turn. Was actually higher but Empire and one of the Northern dwarf clans got wiped out so lost them as trade partners.

Dwafs suck for assassinating people, they've no good unit to do it. Got a grudge to do so and couldn't manage it at all, eventually the grudge expired.

Frisbee wrote: »
    With Dwarves you can make this much higher easily. Build the Gem Mine in your capital and upgrade it as far as you can. There's also a settlement North-East of you that has a Gold Mine (can't remember the name) that you should look to capture within the first few turns. Plenty of the settlements to your South also have Wood / Dye / Coal mines as well.

Get as many trade agreements going as you can. I'm pretty far in at this point, like 140 turns, but I'm pulling in 14k profit per turn. Was actually higher but Empire and one of the Northern dwarf clans got wiped out so lost them as trade partners.

I'm at about turn 120 I think, I messed up early game as I wasn't sure what I was at. When I should have been pushing to take those settlements.
    Varik wrote: »
    Dwafs suck for assassinating people, they've no good unit to do it. Got a grudge to do so and couldn't manage it at all, eventually the grudge expired.

I have an engineer at level 17 mostly from doing assassinations, but he only seems to be successful maybe 1 in 5 attempts. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm at about turn 120 I think, I messed up early game as I wasn't sure what I was at. When I should have been pushing to take those settlements.

First thing I did was build the Gem Cutters. And then I captured Mount Gunbad (I think it's called now) fairly early on. Between that and a fair few trade agreements it mean I was able to support a couple of full stack armies as well as upgrading nearly all my towns to their max level. I played it slow and by turn 80 think I only had The Starting Province and the one just under it. But I turtled it and just expanded outward rapidly thanks to a massive treasury and 4x strong armies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

There are also Vampire Counts along the coast if memory serves. What's

They're not just Vampire Counts in Lustria,they're pirate Vampire Counts. I hope that faction is made playable at some point.

Fking Chaos man, I had no idea what was coming (first time dealing with them, my game's never gone this well before) and they're battering me senseless :(

Trying to rebuild armies quickly, but there's Chaos corruption affecting them and the struggle is real. Need more WAAAGGGHH!

Fking Chaos man, I had no idea what was coming (first time dealing with them, my game's never gone this well before) and they're battering me senseless :(

Trying to rebuild armies quickly, but there's Chaos corruption affecting them and the struggle is real. Need more WAAAGGGHH!

Yeah they destroyed my first dwarf campaign, I since started a new one on Friday and got up as far as Archeon attacking last night. Was ready for them this time though and he attacked when I had three full stacks within reinforcement range and I flattened him.Maybe it's a bit cheap but that's how I dealt with them, just kept my armies in pairs so I was never grossly outnumbered. As well as that I had loads of armour piercing units,artillery and gunners. I can imagine Chaos is even more of a nighmare to deal with if you're playing as Orcs with their low armour.

• Advertisement

My dwarf play-through went completely differently, didn't barely see chaos compared to other play-throughs. Destroyed the orks and held the black mountains, while the north of this got hammered I was able to support a few human factions of which at least the empire survived.

Had a long hog to claim and defend the north after I captured that 1 Provence but that was it, it was a rather uneventful game.

Yea, in hindsight, I over extended myself. I was also raided on the coast by those human / chaos guys to the north west of the Empire who were most unexpected. They razed two full provinces before I could get a couple of stacks south to smash them and reclaim everything. Then of course, the three huge chaos armies that rampaged through the vampires turned towards me and now has their boot on my throat. Good learning experience in paying proper attention to the map!

Yea, in hindsight, I over extended myself. I was also raided on the coast by those human / chaos guys to the north west of the Empire who were most unexpected. They razed two full provinces before I could get a couple of stacks south to smash them and reclaim everything. Then of course, the three huge chaos armies that rampaged through the vampires turned towards me and now has their boot on my throat. Good learning experience in paying proper attention to the map!

Yeah I had left my south coast completely unguarded thinking the threat was only coming from the north now the Orcs were wiped. and a boat showed up with 2 or three full stacks of those guys who raised an entire province and would have got two if the other wasn't so highly upgraded.

Playing a co-op game with my brother atm. Game has crashed twice so far and we're on turn 4... :rolleyes:

Is to be announced today at some point

hopefully not an early april fools day prank

https://comingsoon.totalwar.com/

Is to be announced today at some point

hopefully not an early april fools day prank

https://comingsoon.totalwar.com/

Not an April Fools :D

• Advertisement

they made a shambles of that livestream, no sound in it at all when it went live :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The Warhammer series was always meant to be a set of 3 games, so this isn't surprising.

From Steam
    Shortly after launch, owners of both the original game and Total War™ WARHAMMER II will gain access to the colossal new combined campaign. Merging the landmasses of The Old World plus Naggaroth, Lustria, Ulthuan and the Southlands into a single epic map, players may embark on monumental campaigns as any owned Race from both titles.

I know it's what they originally promised but still sounds epic!

Skaven in the old world. :D

Assuming this means they'll be continuing to support, update and even add content to the first game even when the third is released.

Given the teaser from the end of the trailer and the write up on steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/594570/
    Powerful forces move to heal the maelstrom and avert catastrophe. Yet others seek to harness its terrible energies for their own bitter purpose. The race is on, and the very fate of the world will lie in the hands of the victor.

Prince Tyrion, Defender of Ulthuan, guides the High Elves in their desperate efforts to stabilise the vortex as it roils above their home continent.

Atop his palanquin-throne, the Slann Mage-Priest Mazdamundi directs his Lizardmen war-hosts as they surge northward from Lustria. He, too, is intent on preventing cataclysm, though the methods of The Old Ones must prevail.

The Witch King Malekith and his sadistic Dark Elf hordes spew forth from Naggaroth and their labyrinthine Black Arks. He tastes great weakness in the vortex – and great opportunity in its demise.

Meanwhile a fourth, secretive race stirs, their motives obscured by sinister plots and machinations. The time for revelation is nigh…

Four races, four outcomes, a single goal: control of the Great Vortex, for good or ill.

Pretty sure that's Skaven confirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Southlands mentioned as a location as well so possible Tomb Kings DLC at some point. Maybe they'll be the pre-order faction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement