Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warhammer: Total War

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Playing the first game, on my first go around I made the mistake of expanding north near the Beastmen etc which kicked me in the arse when Chaos came. I restarted and went for a nice rounded area on my second save and have to say... a major, major turnoff for me on this game are Chaos just completely ignoring every single other race and just going straight for you all the time, non-stop, on easy mode. Either I am doing something very wrong or it makes no sense and is a cheap, lazy cop out. None of my armies have been able to do anything but basically occupy around 1-2 cities close by each other as they last 2-3 twenty unit armies at me more or less every turn, which to be honest is both boring and tedious.

I really hope I am doing something very wrong, because otherwise it was a good game but because of this I'm leaning towards ditching it as more or less unplayable without mods.

I have googled around and it says difficulty levels have to do with it, but I am playing on easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

High elf missile cavalry have some range, used 2 from a minor town to defend against norsca and with a pair of spear and archers won a heroic victory, was easy but the balance of power has it 100% in the enemy's favour.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    Playing the first game, on my first go around I made the mistake of expanding north near the Beastmen etc which kicked me in the arse when Chaos came. I restarted and went for a nice rounded area on my second save and have to say... a major, major turnoff for me on this game are Chaos just completely ignoring every single other race and just going straight for you all the time, non-stop, on easy mode. Either I am doing something very wrong or it makes no sense and is a cheap, lazy cop out. None of my armies have been able to do anything but basically occupy around 1-2 cities close by each other as they last 2-3 twenty unit armies at me more or less every turn, which to be honest is both boring and tedious.

I really hope I am doing something very wrong, because otherwise it was a good game but because of this I'm leaning towards ditching it as more or less unplayable without mods.

I have googled around and it says difficulty levels have to do with it, but I am playing on easy.

A strong economy solves most things, add some fortified cities in the north with an army and lightning strike and you mince chaos. You'd have the army and all the reinforcements from the city and with lighting stike the enemy can't be reinforced.

Problem some people have is they weaken their neighbours to the point they can't stand against anyone, and make a lot of incompatible alliances to the point everyone turns on you.

Who were you playing and where in the world were you?

I'm playing as the empire, control all over Averland, Wissenland (bar the capital), Reikland, Stirland and one city in Bastonne. I was very careful to not weaken anybody to the north or north-east of me, have not had a single attack on any of my cities from any of the surrounding factions, have a very strong economy (lots of resources all of which have tier 3 buildings, numerous trade agreements, tailor's guilds in just about every city) and every military/hero type of building you can... or rather, had a very strong economy which now has 4-5 Chaos heroes destroying buildings pretty much every single turn to the point I'm barely breaking even on money and struggling to rebuild them while army after army after army after army of Chaos ignores all the other human factions and marches directly to me time and time again. I have every type of hero, battle wizard, etc - all built up a good few levels, built to try and have good assassins, and at best have got 54% for an assassination attempt on any of these heroes and have failed on every single one of about 8-9 attempts that were 48%-54%.

I'm becoming very skeptical about how this game manufacturers difficulty at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

What's your army count and composition?
    Empire definitely have a harder time with chaos than the other factions do.
    Maybe you could send us a save file and we could have a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm playing as the empire, control all over Averland, Wissenland (bar the capital), Reikland, Stirland and one city in Bastonne. I was very careful to not weaken anybody to the north or north-east of me, have not had a single attack on any of my cities from any of the surrounding factions, have a very strong economy (lots of resources all of which have tier 3 buildings, numerous trade agreements, tailor's guilds in just about every city) and every military/hero type of building you can... or rather, had a very strong economy which now has 4-5 Chaos heroes destroying buildings pretty much every single turn to the point I'm barely breaking even on money and struggling to rebuild them while army after army after army after army of Chaos ignores all the other human factions and marches directly to me time and time again. I have every type of hero, battle wizard, etc - all built up a good few levels, built to try and have good assassins, and at best have got 54% for an assassination attempt on any of these heroes and have failed on every single one of about 8-9 attempts that were 48%-54%.

I'm becoming very skeptical about how this game manufacturers difficulty at this rate.

Hole up in cities and let Chaos kill themselves against your walls. My settlements usually have walls, a money building and either a growth or happiness building. Don't bother with military stuff for most settlements. You probably won't be recruiting there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Playing a High Elf campaign and have started the third Vortex ritual. I have control over the entire island they start on and am trying to blap the Chaos raiders to the north. Aiming to Confederate Teclis' faction next. Really enjoying it I must say, feels like a great refinement of the first game and I really can't wait to see the expanded super campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Ho hum, reckon a restart is coming for me soon. Norse did some damage, Archaon is attacking, beastherds have run rampant and now the Orcs are attacking from the opposite direction. Wiped out the empire too quickly. Chaos and Norse especially have incredibly tough units and just keep throwing armies at me, it is all I can do to keep my own production high enough. I reckon the Orcs are simply too much. Castle Drakenhoff will likely be razed to the ground which will be a massive blow given how well built up it was.

Probably did not use its production well enough when I could (only place capable of producing blood knights). I find so often vampire counts need multiple armies for a fight which is a pain to co ordinate. Maybe my Tilean allies will save me or maybe I will just learn my lessons for the next campaign (maybe Dwarves?).

Sale on bundle star

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/collections/total-war-warhammer

1 is 55% off
    2 is 18% off
    and DLC is all 40% off except norsca

Mortal Empires Campaign is being released on the 26th of October

Update 1 will be released alongside it.

117 factions.... end turn is going to take forever!

• Advertisement

The 30th anniversary DLC and bretonia have been added to W2 under DLC on my steam for me, nothing else showing up yet and the game still shows no DLC for it nor does this seem to do anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Varik wrote: »
    The 30th anniversary DLC and bretonia have been added to W2 under DLC on my steam for me, nothing else showing up yet and the game still shows no DLC for it nor does this seem to do anything.

That can reflect the licence being added prior to the release, and this it may not do anything in-game yet.

Spear wrote: »
    That can reflect the licence being added prior to the release, and this it may not do anything in-game yet.

assumed so, its just bretonia now.

Mortal Empires Map released
    piee05srmysz.png

Bottom and left of the warhammer 2 map cut off.

The old world races seem very tightly clustered.

You can pretty much tell what the DLC is going to be just by looking at the big open spaces.

Also no skaven in skavenblight? Don't think that'll last long.

Chaos invasion is still going to be a thing in the mortal empires map but all over the map this time.

Remouad wrote: »
    Mortal Empires Map released

Bottom and left of the warhammer 2 map cut off.

The old world races seem very tightly clustered.

The whole map seems tightly clustered. Wont take 7 turns to sail from Ulthuan to the east anymore.

• Advertisement

Once it's released modders can have a larger map done and more factions, this is a nice balanced start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I can't tell what other main factions they can introduce in the 3rd entry of this series if they add anymore factions to 2 via DLC.

Only ones missing so far are the Tomb Kings and I guess the Demons of Chaos or Chaos Dwarves

I'm guessing the Tomb Kings will be the bottom right/middle of the map. Dunno about any others though

Game 3 - Space Marines! :D

I can't tell what other main factions they can introduce in the 3rd entry of this series if they add anymore factions to 2 via DLC.

Only ones missing so far are the Tomb Kings and I guess the Demons of Chaos or Chaos Dwarves

I'm guessing the Tomb Kings will be the bottom right/middle of the map. Dunno about any others though

Weren't Chaos Dwarves written out of the tabletop? Or were they brought back?

eeguy wrote: »
    Weren't Chaos Dwarves written out of the tabletop? Or were they brought back?

I'm going off the Wiki, hence me reaching to come up with ~4 factions for if they DID have a 3rd entry to the series. The chaos dwarves were in Warhammer Forge is all I can tell.

I guess they could add Orgres.
    TW:W1 added Wood Elves, Beastmen, Chaos and Norsca as DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How do people here rate Warhammer? Some are saying that it's the best entry in the series.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

How do people here rate Warhammer? Some are saying that it's the best entry in the series.

It's pretty f**king hard compared to the other entires I've played (primarily Shogun 2 and Medieval 2) due to the fact there are just so many unit types.

The whole Armour / Armour Piercing stuff
    Large / Anti-Large
    Shielded unit varieties
    The Spells
    The variety of army types
    The variety of units within those armies.

I remember just spamming Warrior Monks in Shogun 1 to great effect and in Shogun 2 having full stacks of Yari Ashigaru rolling around wrecking the place on Auto Resolve :pac:

Sometimes I find the depth a bit daunting, particularly to micro. Like trying to attack the Armoured dudes with your 1 Armour Piercing unit can be a pain

Plus the factions play very fundamentally differently. I tried Greenskins and I didn't like them as they are so caught up on looting and warring.
    Now I'm playing as Carcasonne and the F**kpile Alliance and it's annoying me that if a General stays still for a few turns he gets labeled "John the f**king Lazy and Useless" and it's a permanent debuff.

I kind of get annoyed at how this entry takes me out of my previous Total War comfort zone tbh. Making me fight when i'd rather not, or parlay when i'd rather not.

Some factions are total f**king Bull**** too. See: C**t Wood Elves

In saying that, if you like the series, this is a very good entry overall.
    My gripes are more to do with my personal preference in my playstyle, the game is great overall.

I noticed when I was playing as Grimgor Ironhide I had what appeared to be a more fleshed out story/quest... with Carcassone it's just "get more Chivalry". Maybe if I played as Bretonia there would more "Story missions" :/

As a first time player of any TW game I really disliked how unaccommodating it was and never even made a vague attempt to explain much of anything to you. That, and the extremely clumsy unit management during battles is, making it almost impossible to shift units into a simple proper formation and mobilise them at times, plus units constantly grouping/ungrouping seemingly at random.

Oh, and when the computer flees they get a nice head start and your units just let them go unless you've got them surrounded from three sides. When yours try to flee in battle, even when directed to and fast units like cavalry... they just decide not to, and get slaughtered. That to me was particularly cheap and wound to a hell of a lot of 'auto-resolve' because I knew they'd just run away and there would be absolutely nothing I could do about it other than engage an army in battle 4-5 times to actually kill them. Especially annoying as their units when fleeing after losing the battle would all go in completely different directions (as in, the 30 remaining infantrymen in one unit would break in 4-5 directions... by the time I chased 4-5 who ran left down, the 25 others would be gone off the map entirely). And plenty of times if I had a much faster unit (like 105 speed vs 35) my guys would just seem to run alongside theirs rather than make any effort to halt or attack them.

Also, I found myself getting outran by units with 10+ lower speed than mine which was just dumb, especially as I was playing on easy. And I didn't like the sudden, unexpected end game out of nowhere (playing as The Empire).

It's a decent game, but I was decidedly underwhelmed and don't know that I'll be bothered going back for a second playthrough. A shame because I've been playing Civ since the first one and love it, picked up XCom 2 earlier in the year and loved it... but no matter how much I wanted to love this, it just left me pretty cold.

Your work as the Empire during the Chaos Invasion has been greatly appreciated by the F**k Pile Alliance Billy86

I've put an ungodly amount of time into this and again into Warhammer 2.

It's tough if you're new to TW, but I've played Rome and Medieval back when they came out so I had the basics.

The variety is amazing. Each faction plays differently and has their own nuances and unit types. Some are tough at the start (vamps) while some are quite easy in the early game. It took 2 goes to properly understand the mechanics.

Your settlements are key, but one you get the balance of money growth and happiness, settlements take care of themselves.

Battles are where it shines though. The unit variety is immense and some are just off the wall, like skaven doomwheels or treemen. Flying units add a new dimension and magic can make or break a battle, which might put off some traditional TW players.

Id recommend looking at a few youtube vids. Heir of Carthage is a good channel for online battles and campaign stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Plus the factions play very fundamentally differently. I tried Greenskins and I didn't like them as they are so caught up on looting and warring.
    Now I'm playing as Carcasonne and the F**kpile Alliance and it's annoying me that if a General stays still for a few turns he gets labeled "John the f**king Lazy and Useless" and it's a permanent debuff.

Garrison him in a city that has a chapel and he'll pray it away or at least there's a chance he will.

Carcassonne is a minor faction vs Leoncour's main storyline for Bretonians, so your lack of "story" missions is because of that.

These games are the first time I've played a Total War game and I'm impressed with everything except the stupidly long loading times. it takes literally 5 minutes to load into a battle so it's really affected how I play (I now double stack armies and move them in pairs so I can just auto resolve and move on to the next bit).

Shiminay wrote: »
    Carcassonne is a minor faction vs Leoncour's main storyline for Bretonians, so your lack of "story" missions is because of that.

These games are the first time I've played a Total War game and I'm impressed with everything except the stupidly long loading times. it takes literally 5 minutes to load into a battle so it's really affected how I play (I now double stack armies and move them in pairs so I can just auto resolve and move on to the next bit).

SSD, it's too quick to even read most of the longer tips.

Double stacking only get's you so far as some AI will use a lightning attack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

eeguy wrote: »
    I've put an ungodly amount of time into this and again into Warhammer 2.

It's tough if you're new to TW, but I've played Rome and Medieval back when they came out so I had the basics.

The variety is amazing. Each faction plays differently and has their own nuances and unit types. Some are tough at the start (vamps) while some are quite easy in the early game. It took 2 goes to properly understand the mechanics.

Your settlements are key, but one you get the balance of money growth and happiness, settlements take care of themselves.

Battles are where it shines though. The unit variety is immense and some are just off the wall, like skaven doomwheels or treemen. Flying units add a new dimension and magic can make or break a battle, which might put off some traditional TW players.

Id recommend looking at a few youtube vids. Heir of Carthage is a good channel for online battles and campaign stuff.

I'm waiting for a few more parts for my new PC. Currently, I've a laptop which limits me to Rome, Medieval II & Empire so I'm familiar with the formula but Warhammer seems to have turned it somewhat on its head which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

I've always been a fan of both IPs and have to say it's a perfect combination for me.

Is it the best Warhammer game?
    Yes. SOTHR and Dark Omen come close but that's mostly nostalgia talking.

Is it the best Total War game?
    Possibly. Definitely on par with my previous favourite Shogun 2

I'm enjoying warhammer 2 but I think that I prefer warhammer 1. Might be due to the races or it might be because I've spent a lot more time playing the first game.
    Mortal empires will probably change my mind on that though.

Would I recommend it to someone as their first TW game?
    No. Shogun 2 would be a much better introduction to the basic mechanics.

Reason for that is the unit variation. As others have already identified that it's both a positive and a negative. It's great and so is magic but the micro management can be a nightmare.
    Varik wrote: »
    SSD, it's too quick to even read most of the longer tips.

Double stacking only get's you so far as some AI will use a lightning attack.

Didn't have space to install warhammer 2 on my ssd and the difference in load times is staggering.

Going to pick up a larger one because I'm enjoying the battles too much to just use auto resolve.

This is 100% correct.

TW:S2 does one thing really well, the Rock-Paper-Scissors aspect of the combat

This is 100% correct.

TW:S2 does one thing really well, the Rock-Paper-Scissors aspect of the combat

Lothern Sea Guard: Spearmen with bows and shields. They are rock, paper and scissors

I've always been a fan of both IPs and have to say it's a perfect combination for me.

Is it the best Warhammer game?
    Yes. SOTHR and Dark Omen come close but that's mostly nostalgia talking.

Is it the best Total War game?
    Possibly. Definitely on par with my previous favourite Shogun 2

I'm enjoying warhammer 2 but I think that I prefer warhammer 1. Might be due to the races or it might be because I've spent a lot more time playing the first game.
    Mortal empires will probably change my mind on that though.

Reason for that is the unit variation. As others have already identified that it's both a positive and a negative. It's great and so is magic but the micro management can be a nightmare.

Empire and, to a lesser extent Medieval II suffered a little from a lack of unit variation.

I'm really looking forward to trying Shogun 2 at some point. The aesthetics are just gorgeous.

You can pretty much tell what the DLC is going to be just by looking at the big open spaces.

Also no skaven in skavenblight? Don't think that'll last long.

Was looking at some of the recent videos, they had 2 potential DLC skaven factions already present in both skavenblight and hell pitt.

The map is seriously different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

TW:W has just stopped working for me. Was playing fine recently. Went to play the other day and when you click play in Screen it launches for a secondm then changes to Syncing and then the process ends. Seems to be a common problem but none of the fixes online have worked for me.

Verifying Integrity Data
    Renaiming %appdata% folder
    Deleting all Mods
    Uninstall & Re-install

Pain in the hole.

Do you have any of the other total war games installed? can you launch them using the launcher?

Did you update anything recently? graphics drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No other TW installed. I re-installed Shogun 2 after my first Warhammer uninstall and that ran fine. Had not upgraded any GPU Drivers. Then updated them totally up to date after first few thing I tried didn't work.

• Advertisement

Hope they re add formations to W3, annoyed it wasn't in any of these so far. A lot of the specific formation/stance benefits are automated but I liked being able to set it as a tactical choice.

Loose formation or testudo formations for ranged, and lose or spear walls for anti charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There's a mod for TWW1 that does formations, but I don't know if it's going to be available in TWW2.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834440120

Restart Steam if the patch and DLC isn't showing up.

Mortal Empires patch download size: ~4.5 GB
    Mortal Empires Campaign download size: ~713 MB

WARHAMMER II pre-patch installation footprint: ~40.5 GB
    Total disk space required during update installation (includes 44.5 GB temporary files for installation process): ~85 GB
    WARHAMMER II post-patch installation footprint: ~42.5 GB

Wouldn't let me buy the Free DLC and got the below. Went back to cart and now it said some of the whatever is already owned and it was added so no idea. working in any case.
    This payment method is currently unavailable for use. We are working to resolve the issue. Please select another payment method for your purchase and try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well i tried a few times to "purchase" the free content and always got the payment system wasnt working. Tried deleting the dlc and "re-buying" it.

So now I get
    It looks like you've been attempting a lot of purchases in the last few hours. Please wait a while before trying again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Gets better. DLC then said it was in the cart (it isnt). Option on it to purchase is gone but now have a download button on the actual page (yay). Clicking it opens the game which says to close the game and open it to download. Doing so gives a text saying to close the game and open it to download....etc etc.

Eventually find it in the DLC list greyed out, check and uncheck the little box and it starts to download.

Seriously, Steam can be the most convoluted piece of **** at times....suppose not as bad as the PSN which sends me an email receipt for everything you "purchase" (free background themes, avatars, any free content).

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Seriously, Steam can be the most convoluted piece of **** at times....suppose not as bad as the PSN which sends me an email receipt for everything you "purchase" (free background themes, avatars, any free content).

Actually like the emails, bit of proof it you get a licencing issue as you'd have the order number.

Happened to me twice where I needed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Oooh man, a scrollbar of legendary lords /drool

Greenskins versus the world yey!

oh wow, they've changed the menus in the campaign to be more like WH2 for the old WH1 factions, awesome, although this may require a few hundred more hours :D

Well, so far, I'm enjoying Mortal Empires. I started with the Savage Orks for the craic and encountered a glitch. My first WAAAGGHH army turned traitor, but I was unable to attack him at any time and so had to wait till he sieged me so I could fight in a battle he initiated. Bit annoying, slowed me down a bit waiting for it, but I'm ticking along nicely. I took my first Gobbo Shaman and ran south-east and discovered Undead, Lizardmen and more Orks...

• Advertisement
Advertisement