Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warhammer: Total War

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How are the loading times for the Mortal Empire? I assume it gets pretty heavy on resources after a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

quicker than vanilla, turn time takes ages though with a whole other side of the world to contend with

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, they're long. But to be fair, they're about what I expected and with the camera tweaks you can minimise your delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Im finding Chaos difficult to play in the new campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Personally just skipping everyone elses turn other than enemies just to speed things up.
    Im finding Chaos difficult to play in the new campaign

Attack and beat a norsca tribe leader's army, then negotiate you get a huge bonus for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ok two playthroughs of Total War 2 Complete.

1. As High Elves Lothern
    2. As Lizard Men - Mazdamundi

No real bugs for me - as i mentioned before had some really weird income drops as high elves at random times - No such issues with Lizardmen.

I found the Lizardmen campaign slightly more difficult, as confederations were not coming easy. I had to declare war on other lizardmen factions to take key locations and then there were willing to confederate afterwards.

Found the lizardmen unit selection a bit uninspiring to be honest i became heavily reliant on Temple Guards - with a mix of Calvarly, Artillery, Monsters, Chameleons to back them up. Used a tactic of letting them engage the temple guard and then calling in the monsters to break their units.

High Elves Order of Loremasters were a constant but manageable thorn in my side.

Must say this is the most polished total war game yet. Works really well - Moved it onto my SSD and load times are a fraction of what they were before - For anybody i would reccomend this game on a SSD it should almost be considered a requirement.

Now trying to decide to go with a Mortal Empires playthrough ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

No real bugs for me - as i mentioned before had some really weird income drops as high elves at random times - No such issues with Lizardmen.

Was a faction either wiped out, lose their capital city (causing it to shift) or did you confederate with one? Always found trading was a large part of HE economy, and saw dips when one of these happened.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Was a faction either wiped out, lose their capital city (causing it to shift) or did you confederate with one? Always found trading was a large part of HE economy, and saw dips when one of these happened.

I dont believe so, but it had an effect each time of 6k-8k per turn. Had to disband an army whilst defending ritual sites from skaven and chaos over it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I dont believe so, but it had an effect each time of 6k-8k per turn. Had to disband an army whilst defending ritual sites from skaven and chaos over it !

Mouse over your income at the top of the screen and you'll get a breakdown of where you're spending money.

eeguy wrote: »
    Mouse over your income at the top of the screen and you'll get a breakdown of where you're spending money.

At the time i checked it, the trade income took a nosedive, but the funny thing is it slowly built itself back up over the next 10-20 turns

• Advertisement

At the time i checked it, the trade income took a nosedive, but the funny thing is it slowly built itself back up over the next 10-20 turns

Sadly unlike older games you don't see trade on the map, either on roads or between ports. Chances are your trade partners were seiged or lost resources/cities.

It's hard to tell why you can't and can trade with someone, and how the amount decided in this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I honestly found the trade to be a total f**king mess in TW:W1. I mean I was sure to build those specific trade buildings in the provinces I could and trade with whoever I was allied with because I could see no reason not to. But it didn't feel very intuitive or implemented well

I honestly found the trade to be a total f**king mess in TW:W1. I mean I was sure to build those specific trade buildings in the provinces I could and trade with whoever I was allied with because I could see no reason not to. But it didn't feel very intuitive or implemented well

In older games you'd see trade wagons on roads and shipping routes from ports which you could raid, and see to which cities they were heading.

This game doesn't say why you can't trade or why you can, and does not break down the values for the trade other than a money amount and what goods are being traded.

Other than a few research techs which are only an issue for certain factions having or not having a trade good has no big benefits. In older games you couldn't build certain buildings or units without stone or iron for instance.

There are reason not to trade, other than giving you enemy money it does effect relations when you trade with someones enemy.

I wouldn't be caught dead trading with anyone not in the Human / Dwarf F**kpile Alliance anyway *spits*

Essentially thought Trade was better implemented in TW: Shogun 2 tbh

So I'm slowly playing through my Savage Orks campaign in Mortal Empires. I've confederated with the Green Skins at a time when Azhag, Grimgor and another Gobbo boss had almost full stacks and we were mopping up the Dwarves (and a surprise Border Princes jump east into the Dwarves territory taking a settlement from me when we were off raiding their lands) which is almost done. Damn Stunties confederated with the Dwarves in Lustria and have been building armies and launching boats from there ever since. Only their capital remains and I have 2 armies ready to siege it when I quell a bit of rebellious activity, but Thorgrim's just arrived on a boat with a half stack and I'm not sure how quick I can intercept him before he gets a pile of Regiments of Renown in a turn.

I'm definitely thoroughly enjoying it. I'm making much more use of the heroes the confederated stacks had within to steal tech and assassinate enemy characters, but I need to send some out scouting and plotting the direction of an almighty WAAAGGGHH! :D I'm definitely heading due south and will mop up the Undead messers that have been harassing me. Then there are some Lizardmen and more bloody Dwarves. I plan on working my way towards wherever it is the last of the damn Stunties are hiding out and wiping them from the game. Then I'll see what Chaos has done to the Empire and Vampire Counts (who are playing strong and have been niggling at me but seem to be tied up on other fronts). I'm really enjoying how the narrative of the game is developing itself :)

Raiding someone who's too weak to declare war on you really give you a boot to diplomacy with their enemies.

Apparently most of the changes to W1 done in august didn't make it to W2.

Coming now to W2

Warriors of Chaos design changes (see original Foundation Update notes for details)
    Wood Elf followers
    Empire Startpos overhaul (full province ownership at start of campaign)
    New skill trees and campaign effects for Old World Legendary Lords

Over and above the Foundation Update changes, you can also expect:

5 New skill-tree skills for Helman Ghorst
    Immortality skill added to Old World characters
    Bordeleaux now begins at war with Mousillon (yay!)
    Plus a handful of bugfixes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've just had the same thing happen to me. Was picking along with a 2k a turn surplus then I completed the ritual thing ( I don't really understand what that's all about but whatever) and then the next turn I was running an 800 deficit and nothing had changed as best I could make out. Still recovering from it as I was being attacked by Chaos and attacking a neighbour at the same time and attrition meant I had to disband a chunk of one army. Wish it was a bit clearer what happened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Picked up Warhammer yesterday. Shame the DLC is only 33% off. Hopefully the game is ok without it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Picked up Warhammer yesterday. Shame the DLC is only 33% off. Hopefully the game is ok without it.

The AI will be there with it, you just don't get to play it and don't have access to the mini campaigns.

Only DLC that you lose without is the regiment of renown if you don't have them for your faction as they're good.

posted in bargain alerts here too, but if you're looking to pick up DLC or the expansion, it's at really decent prices on fanatical (formerly bundlestars) atm

https://www.fanatical.com/en/search?search=warhammer

posted in bargain alerts here too, but if you're looking to pick up DLC or the expansion, it's at really decent prices on fanatical (formerly bundlestars) atm

https://www.fanatical.com/en/search?search=warhammer

Wondered who they were, got emails and had no idea who they were or why they'd my email.

yeah i dont get why they changed their name either, but there ye go

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

yeah i dont get why they changed their name either, but there ye go

They're trying to move away from the bundle only image and position themselves as a more conventional retailer, like Green Man Gaming or similar. They're can be much money in bundling indie stuff constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cool idea, and i'd say it'll probably melt a few computers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Kiith wrote: »
    Cool idea, and i'd say it'll probably melt a few computers :)

I like the idea of massive dragons. They're far too small IMO:D:D

i did lol at the low gravity bit :D

Dwarf Bowling anyone?

That's gonna be a lot of fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Interesting article on the development process with some info on when dlc will be released.

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/heres-whats-going-on-with-warhammer-iis-expansion-w513455

• Advertisement

So......Tomb kings in January, an Norsca in May.

Varik wrote: »
    So......Tomb kings in January, an Norsca in May.

hah yeah sounds like it alright
    Not to seem too… cryptic… but It’s a hugely characterful and significant addition to both Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires

BZ4f2qx.png

BZ4f2qx.png

First I thought you were just posting about the competition but the I saw the background :D

Tomb kings is 20% off on fanatical and 19% off on humble if you're a humble monthly subscriber.

Think I've been looking forward to tomb kings more than any other race.

Wonder what the FLC will be?

It showed the skaven lord at the start of the video, you talking about something else?

Seeing that your total building number controls how many of each you can raise means city planning is completely different to most other factions.

I wonder how bonuses will work or will they be any.

Nice to see the trade resources being back to being important even in a limited way.

Ha! Missed that bit. Skipped ahead to the battles.

Did watch party elites breakdown of it.

You talking about Lord bonuses? I know that arkhan the black get to recruit vampire count units.

So my game as Carcassonne (see: The F**kPile Alliance)...

We withstood, drove back and defeated the Chaos invasion. Hurrah :)
    I annihilated the Wood Elves from this world.... just because they were too near me, didn't like me and made me uncomfortable.
    Estalia, kindly f**k off an cease to exist, I'm sick of your attitute and your letting Beastmen run amuck at my back
    Next, the Greenskins were wiped out
    Then finally the Vampire Lords.

All that was left was the F**kpile Alliance of Me, The Dwarves, The Empire and ~4 Minor Human/Dwarf factions.
    So given the AI didn't have a f**king clue what to do next, it decided it was just gonna start all of them declaring war on each other and me :rolleyes:
    So this Alliance that was solid as a rock for ~200 turns of my ~230 turn playthrough crumbled.

I was able to slowly (via raiding, cause 40% attrition - f**k that) creep my way up to the Chaos Wastelands.
    I brought 3 full stacks of my best 60, experienced, expensive units... only to realise you can only bring 1 f**king stack into the final battle with the Chaos.

Given the Chaos are so heavily armoured, my reliance on 5-6 very experienced Peasent Bowmen that I had all playthrough had to change and I went Cavalry/Flying Hypogriffs heavy and won.
    It was a great battle, with a lot of back and forth. Really enjoyed it.
    In hindsight I wish I had played as Bretonnia so the campaign was more engaging, bust cest-la-vie.

Started a new campaign as the Vampire Counts and I'm actually enjoying it FAR more now, feel I understand the pacing of the campaign (vs other entries) a lot better now, and tbh, mechanically they are easy enough to play.
    I'm about 70 turns in, I'll give ye a run down on how that campaign goes at some stage.

Yes... I'm still playing TW:W1 as tbh, there's still so much to do, learn and enjoy, that getting the 2nd (for now) is unnecessary for me :D

• Advertisement

There's the mortal empire campaign, you could play on 2.

True, but I'm just not interested tbh.
    I have a hard enough time identifying what to do and how to lay my army out etc against the existing roster of enemy types.
    Like bare in mind that was my 1st campaign playthrough, most others ended around the 40 turn mark.
    So I still have plenty to do, try, enjoy and learn even in just the base TW:W1 campaign
    Plus, my New Years resolution is to clear my backlog a bit more and not keep spending on games I don't need.
    Will finish this Vampires campaign and give TW:W a break in favour of trying the X-Com 2 DLC :)

Like for example, I must have made 5 attempts at starting a Greenskins campaign initially and just got f**king annihilated by the Dwarves time and time again.
    Their heavy armour and my ignorance to rush armour piercing was a massive issue.
    Basically I HATED fighting Dwarves.

Now, as the Vampires, I see those mofos roll up with ~6 Hangunners/Cannons etc and I just laugh at pet my beloved 4x stack of Varghiests.
    I am running 8x Grave Guard (w Shields), 4x Varghesits, 3x Crypt Horrors, 4x Black Knights and I am just WRECKING them by rushing up on them (letting my Skelemens take the initial wave/barrage), then tying up their ranged/artillery with Varghesits, flanking their melee units with Knights and then crashing my Crypt Horrors into their front lines.
    It actually very entertaining now that the shoe is on the other foot.
    Such a straightforward army composition but so effective :)

Yes... yes... I'm about a year late. In 2019 I'll be posting about TW:W2 base game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Like for example, I must have made 5 attempts at starting a Greenskins campaign initially and just got f**king annihilated by the Dwarves time and time again.
    Their heavy armour and my ignorance to rush armour piercing was a massive issue.

Swarves are one of the most annoying races to fight, and its a running joke of the "Dwarf Empire" that sprouts up in 99% of all campaigns as no AI can effectively deal with them.

Only real weakness is they are slow, so push up Boar Boyz to flank & rush their ranged troops and Wolf archers to harass their artillery.

Picked up the Tomb Kings DLC yesterday, looking forward to playing them, interesting mechanics for army creation and development.

The battle AI is at it's worst with the Dwarves, they can be flanked so easily as they move slowly towards the enemy.

Problem is that there are battles that you fight yourself you'd win easily but the balance of power is so far off when you and hence the AI auto resolve.

When defending, all enemies just advance (major mistake for the slow dwarves) so if you kite with a fast unit and dodge artillery ( shots do curve but you can do it) it means that the main army advances while separating from the artillery which has stopped to fire. Next step is as said to hit artillery and then position you army so the dwarfs spread out to attack allowing you to flank each unit more easily.

Attacking is more work and particulars depend on the specifics of the battle, you tend to need to bog down units to split while flanking ranged and then moving into melee units on 1 of the fronts, again splitting and dividing is the best thing to do as you can overwhelm units while they're allies are still moving to reinforce.

Or you use Plague of rust and laugh as they die. Or any magic really, when defending they bunch.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Picked up the Tomb Kings DLC yesterday, looking forward to playing them, interesting mechanics for army creation and development.

Really tempted to pick it up.
    Really like the Egyptian aesthetic and the play style looks very interesting.

What's stopping me is that I've only completed the Lizardmen campaign so really should play the others before picking up the DLC.

Dwarves moving in Battle? Never heard of it. What absolute tosh :P

The reason there's a dwarf empire is that their settlements are all in the mountains so you have a very restricted path to each of them and either move at a crawl or take attrition.

They're also the best race for siege defences.

On the positive side they're definitely the best race for introducing people to the game :)

Remouad wrote: »
    Really tempted to pick it up.
    Really like the Egyptian aesthetic and the play style looks very interesting.

What's stopping me is that I've only completed the Lizardmen campaign so really should play the others before picking up the DLC.

If you start your next campaign in the next 10 days, they won't randomly show up but after the DLC is out if you start it you'll have them on the map to ally against or with.

If you go Vampire counts in mortal empires, you could ally with Arkhan from the Tomb kings.

If you start your next campaign in the next 10 days, they won't randomly show up but after the DLC is out if you start it you'll have them on the map to ally against or with.

If you go Vampire counts in mortal empires, you could ally with Arkhan from the Tomb kings.

Definitely waiting until they're in the game before starting the next campaign.

Picked up warhammer 1 late in the lifecycle so didn't realise how spoil I was having all the races included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

True, but I'm just not interested tbh.
    I have a hard enough time identifying what to do and how to lay my army out etc against the existing roster of enemy types.
    Like bare in mind that was my 1st campaign playthrough, most others ended around the 40 turn mark.
    So I still have plenty to do, try, enjoy and learn even in just the base TW:W1 campaign
    Plus, my New Years resolution is to clear my backlog a bit more and not keep spending on games I don't need.
    Will finish this Vampires campaign and give TW:W a break in favour of trying the X-Com 2 DLC :)

Now, as the Vampires, I see those mofos roll up with ~6 Hangunners/Cannons etc and I just laugh at pet my beloved 4x stack of Varghiests.
    I am running 8x Grave Guard (w Shields), 4x Varghesits, 3x Crypt Horrors, 4x Black Knights and I am just WRECKING them by rushing up on them (letting my Skelemens take the initial wave/barrage), then tying up their ranged/artillery with Varghesits, flanking their melee units with Knights and then crashing my Crypt Horrors into their front lines.
    It actually very entertaining now that the shoe is on the other foot.
    Such a straightforward army composition but so effective :)

Yes... yes... I'm about a year late. In 2019 I'll be posting about TW:W2 base game :D

I think the faction that you think you will like will not be the one you enjoy the most. The difficulty varies on your start position too. Starting near the dwarfs with no ap can be though but once you get some ap units and fear/terror units it’s far easier.

Advertisement