Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warhammer: Total War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gbear wrote: »
    I suppose the main thing with foot lords is getting around the place in pitched battles and getting run over by mounted units and monsters, but once they're in combat against other infantry the likes of Grombrindal, Ungrim, Grimgor and Sigvald absolutely wreck the gaf.

Aye, he's a bit slow off the mark. I usually have a troll alongside him too which can make him even slower. But, yeh, once they get stuck in, it's gas.

My second army is lead by some guy on a dragon. Can't remember his name. He great for knocking the crap out everyone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Thinking of picking up the tomb kings DLC while it's on sale. Anyone played it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Remouad wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up the tomb kings DLC while it's on sale. Anyone played it?

It's excellent. They're great craic.

A bit finnicky to get the hang of early on, because their units are free and have limits based on how many buildings of a certain type you have, so you've a to put
    a bit of thought into their economy, but just sack a lot and raid and you'll be fine.

Their late game units are great. Skeleton Giants with giant bows, Sphinxes, Giant wizard-statues that shoot lasers out of their eyes, elephant sized scorpions.
    Settra is a beast.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I downloaded TW Warhammer 2 over the weekend for free weekend but never got to play.
    Only 2 hours left for €20 sale on steam, very tempted to pick it up although ive never really got into any TW game.
    I do like the factions and units from streams ive watched.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Dcully wrote: »
    I downloaded TW Warhammer 2 over the weekend for free weekend but never got to play.
    Only 2 hours left for €20 sale on steam, very tempted to pick it up although ive never really got into any TW game.

Honestly, it's a phenomenal game. It'd be well worth a score. If you start to enjoy the Skaven, seriously consider The Prophet & The Warlock as it comes with some really good units for them. Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings are also highly recommended.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Honestly, it's a phenomenal game. It'd be well worth a score. If you start to enjoy the Skaven, seriously consider The Prophet & The Warlock as it comes with some really good units for them. Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings are also highly recommended.

Just bought it thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just bought it thanks.

No worries. The base game has plenty going for it. If you buy the original Warhammer title, you can use updated versions of the game one races in the huge Mortal Empires map of game 2.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

20 quid is a steal.

*EDIT - Shut up Palpatine, he's already bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Could I get a bit of advice. Really noobish, when comes to TW games.

I finally gave a proper go at this in WH2, first campaign with High Elves. Tutorial one. I am finding it hard to keep up with everything thats going on. So many Factions go for war with me and its hard to Defend and attack. As soon as try to commit my main army for some attack, I have someone coming from other side of the map and snipe my town, by the time I come back, other town is in trouble. Any tips how to spread armies? How many commanders do I get and do I keep them all in similar power or have one Strong Commander and few lesser ones?

Basically any tips for really new player would be great.

Could I get a bit of advice. Really noobish, when comes to TW games.

I finally gave a proper go at this in WH2, first campaign with High Elves. Tutorial one. I am finding it hard to keep up with everything thats going on. So many Factions go for war with me and its hard to Defend and attack. As soon as try to commit my main army for some attack, I have someone coming from other side of the map and snipe my town, by the time I come back, other town is in trouble. Any tips how to spread armies? How many commanders do I get and do I keep them all in similar power or have one Strong Commander and few lesser ones?

Basically any tips for really new player would be great.

What difficulty are you on? Are you playing Mortal Empires or the Vortex? Sounds like the latter.

I'd choose Tyrion and Lothern for your first go and it sounds like you have. Try and recruit plenty of Archers. Don't bother with Lothern Sea Guard. A few Cavalry units are good as well but the Archers are excellent and will net you most of your kills. Keep a few Spearmen around to protect the Archers. Tyrion is a monster in melee so you can charge him in and let the enemy blob around him so your archers and artillery can go to work.

Begin by conquering the remaining cities in your starting province. Use diplomacy to secure non-agression pacts, trade agreements and maybe a few defensive alliances. You'll want to confederate Nagarythe, the Order of Loremasters (in the southwest) and, if you have the DLC Avelorn. Saphery, located to your northeast is your next target. Upgrade Lothern's main settlement building and you'll have a solid garrison which should withstand any assault. Always build the wall chains for your other settlements.

Later on, make sure you recruit tons of Sisters of Avelorn when you can. They're utterly devastating. Make sure you get some Heroes, especially mages. Lore of life is good if you want dragons.

As for battles, since Shogun 2 CA upped the speed and made them more arcadey. I dislike this but you can run them at half speed so you can follow things a bit better.

This might help as well:

I quite like LegendofTotalWar. He plays on the highest difficulty and recently did a run as Lothern on the Vortex campaign. You might find watching this helpful. I did when I was learning the original Warhammer game.

Any more questions, just ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thank you.

The battles themselves are not really an issue, its more of a "wack a mole" that happens on campaign map. You move away to deal with one issue and as soon as you moved away, something comes back, because your army is not there anymore.
    I already realised that archers are freaking great hehe. Usually try to have more of them then melee units. If there is nothing to come close enough, then there is nothing to melee.

I got alliance with East faction, but he is so deep in shot, because pirate factions just went ham on him. I try to help him, but then I have my own battles to fight.

I just need more practice at it. Can't expect to do well, when I need to learn even basics. Most importantly I need to learn and use diplomacy. Was never my strong aspect in any game!

Thank you.

The battles themselves are not really an issue, its more of a "wack a mole" that happens on campaign map. You move away to deal with one issue and as soon as you moved away, something comes back, because your army is not there anymore.
    I already realised that archers are freaking great hehe. Usually try to have more of them then melee units. If there is nothing to come close enough, then there is nothing to melee.

I got alliance with East faction, but he is so deep in shot, because pirate factions just went ham on him. I try to help him, but then I have my own battles to fight.

I just need more practice at it. Can't expect to do well, when I need to learn even basics. Most importantly I need to learn and use diplomacy. Was never my strong aspect in any game!

Once you get a certain way in, say moving into another province once you've consolidated your starting area you would want to look into recruiting another lord and building another army.

I generally wouldn't bother with alliances as they can drag you into unnecessary wars. I'd make an exception for factions with the other legendary lords that you might want to confederate later on. Make NA pacts and sign trade deals. The diplomacy screen can show you who hates you the most so you can expand based on that.

Note that there's a silly aspect of Alliances which is that your power level (as perceived by the AI), will determine how likely the AI is to declare war on you, or confederate with you if they're friendly, but also, your power level includes all of the alliances you're in in how it's calculated.

So, becoming allied to a faction actually makes it less likely they'll confederate with you.

A good rule of thumb is never ally with anyone. Sometimes defensive alliances aren't too bad, especially late game when you've confederated everyone you want to, but by then, defensive alliances don't really serve much purpose anyway.

With Tyrion, he has an upkeep reduction to basic barracks units, so you can afford to fill his army to the max 20 slots straight away. Get something like 6 spearmen, 1 bolt thrower (so you can attack settlements with walls straight away), and the rest archers. Don't bother getting light armour archers. If they're taking damage you're doing something wrong anyway, and you're better off swapping 1 archer for 1 more melee unit.

For Lord skills, there's a couple of good rules of thumb to abide by.
    1. Beeline the Lightning Strike skill in the blue skill chain first.
    This applies for pretty much every lord for every faction.

It gives you a checkbox available when you're about to fight a battle against multiple armies (Lightning Strike) and it allows you to just attack that army and cuts off their reinforcements.

This can be useful if the AI has more armies than you and you don't want to get overwhelmed.

2. Be efficient with your red skills.
    You need 6 from the first red section to proceed to the 2nd section.
    It's a good idea to pre-plan what you want your final army composition to be, and choose skills that buff those units. Don't get 12 skills in the first part of the skill tree. It's a waste.

So, if you'll want a blend of archers and dragons, get the 3 skills that buff archers, and the 3 that buff dragons (and, I think phoenices and eagles).

If you're worried about holding off attacks on your home base while you go out and about Ulthuan there's a few things to keep in mind.
    Greedy play where you get more economy buildings instead of walls tends to be punished, especially on harder difficulties, so especially when you're learning the ropes, get walls asap.

Try to avoid going to war with multiple factions untill you're quite powerful (and even then consider it carefully). Try to get as many non-aggression pacts and trade agreements with the elves as you can. Generally it seems like Saphery and a couple of randomly selected Elven factions are pricks and just don't like you, but you should be able to become chums with everyone else.

Also, the friendlier you are with them, the more likely they are to side with you and fight the malcontents. Try to see if you can pay them a little bit to go to war with someone who declares war with you. Generally I can rely on Tiranoc to kill Caldor, and there's a decent chance Alarielle will kill Saphery.

Currently the game punishes having too many armies (rather than units), because there's a cumulative penalty for each army you own, so with the Elves you want to get a Noble hero early on (a crap one that doesn't cost any influence is fine), send him to someone you hate, like Morathi (Cult of Pleasure), and every turn do secure influence. Also, doing this every turn for 50 turns has a fringe benefit of making other people who don't like this faction like you, so it can be a way to shore up relationships with other elves.

Because each army is more and more expensive, you want to get the ones that cost 60 influence. They're some of the best Lords in the whole game. Some are just beasts in melee, some give huge upkeep reduction buffs, or buff damage from ranged. 1 of them and half a dozen archers should be enough to hold virtually any single army in any settlement with walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

F&Q page for the DLC https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-the-warden-the-paunch-faq/

Some tidbits:
    -Powerful new units and Heroes for both the High Elves and the Greenskins, including:

War Lions of Chrace, the Silverin Guard, and the majestic Arcane Phoenix for the High Elves

Multiple different flavours of Snotling Pump Wagons and Trolls for the Greenskins

-The Greenskins will be getting a number of updated features, most notably a rework of the Waaagh! This will be changed to an innate race trait instead of a character ability.

-There’s also a new Scrap feature for the Greenskins to represent their ability to scavenge items from battles or settlements and use these to unlock special technology nodes and upgrade units.

-Other Greenskin updates will include:

New character skills
    Unit improvements
    Badlands map update
    New start position for Azhag

-The Warden & The Paunch will be accompanied by the Free-LC release of a Legendary Lord for the High Elves, the Lord of Dragons himself, Imrik – more information will be released soon.

Additionally, there’ll be a free mount to download via Total War Access – keep an eye the Total War Access newsletter for more information on that!

As a High Elf fan.....squeeeeeee! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I hope the Greenskins get the overhaul they so sorely need.

I hope the Greenskins get the overhaul they so sorely need.

That's happening. There's an FAQ detailing it:
    WILL THERE BE AN OLD WORLD UPDATE RELEASED WITH THE WARDEN & THE PAUNCH?
    The Greenskins will be getting a number of updated features, most notably a rework of the Waaagh! This will be changed to an innate race trait instead of a character ability.

In battle, Greenskin units engaged in combat will generate Waaagh points to fill up a bar. When this bar is full, the player can trigger a Waaagh!
    Once the Waaagh! ability is used, you should switch to an all-out attack and use that momentum to win. The Waaagh! can be used multiple times but each additional Waaagh! requires more Waaagh! points to unlock it

In campaign, the Waaagh! is a faction pooled resource which must be built to maximum to enable Waaagh! invasion. To start a Waaagh!, select a target region and dedicate it to either Gork or Mork. A transported Waaagh! army will then support each of the available armies to occupy or raze the target. After a set duration, Waaagh! will end and your points will drop to zero. Based on success of the Waaagh!, rewards get dished out (including a Waaagh! boost). You can build up Waaagh! points again to trigger your next Waaagh!

There’s also a new Scrap feature for the Greenskins to represent their ability to scavenge items from battles or settlements and use these to unlock special technology nodes and upgrade units.

Each recruited Greenskin unit may access a new panel where they can benefit from one of several upgrade options.

Upgrading a unit will cost a certain amount of Scrap
    Each unit in your army will be able to choose and keep an upgrade individually
    Each unit will have several different upgrade options
    Pushing the units existing strength or adding new functionality
    Other Greenskin updates will include:

New character skills
    Unit improvements
    Badlands map update
    New start position for Azhag

So i booted this up tonight for the first time and get prompted about free content.
    Thing is nothing downloads when i click it,claim it, doesnt work from ingame or even from DLC page on steam.
    Ive tried to make a TW acount but no confirmation email so i cant go any further this going this route isnt working either.
    Any ideas?

So i booted this up tonight for the first time and get prompted about free content.
    Thing is nothing downloads when i click it,claim it, doesnt work from ingame or even from DLC page on steam.
    Ive tried to make a TW acount but no confirmation email so i cant go any further this going this route isnt working either.
    Any ideas?

Have you tried going on the steam page and adding the DLC there?
    There's a lot of extra free content.

Yes that was my first port of call when didnt work ingame.

Also tried via steam website itself while logged in.

• Advertisement

Any ideas?

So you're saying the button that says Donwloadable Content at the bottom of the main menu is active and you can click it but when go in there's nothing?

What do you see if you go into the game's page in your library and go into "Manage DLC"? It should be there on the right.

What you should see is a list of all the DLC for the game that you own (or have bought, in the case of the upcoming unrealeased DLC). It should have a tickbox next to it that denotes whether or not it's enabled.

As it stands there's 32 DLCs with another one to be released in a couple of weeks, so if you have all of them, FLC, DLC for game 1, and all game 2 DLC, you should have 32/33 installed in the top right corner of the DLC screen.

There's a little bit more news, with a FLC mount option being added for the Greenskins in the form of a giant spider mount for Shamans (probably just Goblin Great Shamans). You need a Total War access account. It's free. I think I got it a few months ago to get Gotrek and Felix (who are rubbish and I've never used). It's not there yet, but I presume it's going to be released the same day as everything else.

Gbear wrote: »
    There's a little bit more news, with a FLC mount option being added for the Greenskins in the form of a giant spider mount for Shamans (probably just Goblin Great Shamans). You need a Total War access account. It's free. I think I got it a few months ago to get Gotrek and Felix (who are rubbish and I've never used). It's not there yet, but I presume it's going to be released the same day as everything else.

Yep Goblin great shaman and available on the 21st, same day as the DLC.

Bought the Tomb Kings DLC in the latest sale but if I'd known this was coming I would have waited.

Remouad wrote: »
    Yep Goblin great shaman and available on the 21st, same day as the DLC.

Bought the Tomb Kings DLC in the latest sale but if I'd known this was coming I would have waited.

Tomb Kings' is the best DLC CA have ever done IMO. Such a different race and one of my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Tomb Kings' is the best DLC CA have ever done IMO. Such a different race and one of my favourites.

Got this last week. Very good but slow, compared to other factions. I recruited a leech priest at the start when the recruit hero option triggers, should have got a necroteck (you only get one hero for ages, they only unlock when you get the books or complete the pyramid battle, this is not clear either) so im at turn 50 very fast but have no way to repair constructs in battle. The low level troops are pretty crappy so a new lords army can be crushed by a army half the size with better units. You learn pretty quick but then the siege battles get a bit repetitive as everyone hides in a settlements. Still no consequence for raising, so just raid wherever you go for extra gold ( they need to fix this, making a peace treaty only to have the enemy army move on your land and raid, then if you attack them raiding your land your ‘unreliable’. You can do this too, its pretty broken.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Got this last week. Very good but slow, compared to other factions. I recruited a leech priest at the start when the recruit hero option triggers, should have got a necroteck (you only get one hero for ages, they only unlock when you get the books or complete the pyramid battle, this is not clear either) so im at turn 50 very fast but have no way to repair constructs in battle. The low level troops are pretty crappy so a new lords army can be crushed by a army half the size with better units. You learn pretty quick but then the siege battles get a bit repetitive as everyone hides in a settlements. Still no consequence for raising, so just raid wherever you go for extra gold ( they need to fix this, making a peace treaty only to have the enemy army move on your land and raid, then if you attack them raiding your land your ‘unreliable’. You can do this too, its pretty broken.

No, the Liche Priest is the correct option.

The red skill line includes a free healing ability which doesn't cost any winds of magic to use. You won't be able to afford the construct the construct buildings for a good while whereas the Liche Priest can go to work straight away.

Playing a Grom Vortex campaign now and having a lot of fun. He's a cool lord, the tech tree is now much improved and there are some fun looking new units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yeah, liking the look of the new Greenskin mechanics alright, and he's a fun lord. Model looks great. Good to see the Greenskins get a bit of love, it was sorely needed.

Only thing about him is, in the Mortal Empires campaign, he's surrounded in Massif Orcal by the Wood Elves, Bretonnia and slightly further away the Empire and some dwarf factions. The High Elves across the sea also get stuck in too. It's not the easiest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Playing a Grimgore campaign, he's finally back to where he should, puntin' stuntys properly, the waaaaagh mechanic is brilliant, so much better than the old one. Gobbo's are a lot more powerful now, not just meatshields, Orcs feel more like they should. Da Immortalz living up to their name with scrap armour :D

Lovin it :)

Playing a Grimgore campaign, he's finally back to where he should, puntin' stuntys properly, the waaaaagh mechanic is brilliant, so much better than the old one. Gobbo's are a lot more powerful now, not just meatshields, Orcs feel more like they should. Da Immortalz living up to their name with scrap armour :D

Lovin it :)

Tier 1 Goblin Archers look like they can get deceptively powerful with the extra AP damage their exploding arrows give them along with XP upgrades. Plus... explosions.

25% off on steam now for dlc and 66% off main game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Tier 1 Goblin Archers look like they can get deceptively powerful with the extra AP damage their exploding arrows give them along with XP upgrades. Plus... explosions.

friendly fire is awful though, thankfully only happens to a severe account with Grom's food buffs

friendly fire is awful though, thankfully only happens to a severe account with Grom's food buffs

Yeah but Goblins are trash so it's not an issue. It's not until you start using Black Orcs that you'd need to be wary of the friendly fire but then you're probably switching to Arachnarok Spiders and Rogue Idols anyway.

Apparently they've released a Black Orc Big Boss but he has no voicework due to the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Apparently they've released a Black Orc Big Boss but he has no voicework due to the virus.

Hopefully he'll make a speedy recovery.

Got this in the recent sale and it is so good. Can't stop playing it. Went with a nice handy HE Tyrion game to ease myself in, will do something a bit tougher next.

The beta patch went live yesterday if anyone is wondering:

https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/hwg8na/da_nutz_and_boltz_update_is_now_live/

Was that the 93mb patch that took 40 minutes to download?

Tony EH wrote: »
    Was that the 93mb patch that took 40 minutes to download?

Almost certainly.

• Advertisement

New dev blog update of what all the Total War teams are working on, TW2 is getting a Lord pack for the Wood Elves alongside a rework of their systems (hopefully bye bye Amber system!). This will be 2 Lords, probably one WE and CA have hinted they will be revisiting one of the core 4 races for Warhammer 2 (so High Elves, Dark Elves, Skaven or Lizzies)

Also includes a free Lord as part of the pack, is hinted at being a she so....??? Early ideas are either Ariel or possibly Neferatta.

Think the Beastmen are the last WH1 race to get an update. Well, Chaos but they're game 3.

I'm having a really fun Skaven ME campaign atm. Hadn't played them since before their first DLC years ago. Their new units are class.

Well, theres also Norsca. Who, when the Wood Elves get their new Legendary Lords, will have the fewest available with only 2 *sad Wulfrik noises*

Could see them, Beastmen and Chaos Warriors all getting redone for TW3 and the inevitable Daemons faction. Just overhaul all of Chaos.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Well, theres also Norsca. Who, when the Wood Elves get their new Legendary Lords, will have the fewest available with only 2 *sad Wulfrik noises*

Could see them, Beastmen and Chaos Warriors all getting redone for TW3 and the inevitable Daemons faction. Just overhaul all of Chaos.
    It would make sense.

That neck of the woods should all be involved in the game 3 map, as well as Hell Pit and Clan Moulder.

Unlike with the Lizardmen and Skaven, which, I would think, required an entirely new set of animations, unit models and game mechanics, there should be a huge amount already done for game 3.

Given what's already in the game, I think it's entirely feasible that, probably including some kind of day 1 DLC that'll work on Mortal Empires as well for either Norsca or Hell Pit, you should have Chaos Dwarves and Kislev as the brand new races (albeit the unit models will be about 90% the same as Dwarf, Goblin and Empire units), Norsca, Beastmen, Chaos Undivided (Kholek and Archaon), Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh (Sigvald), and at least 1 other Chaos Warriors faction as playable factions.

They should be able to have a much more complete gameworld with less work, and can hopefully focus on making Chaos more than an afterthought and really flesh it out.

I'd rather they did that, than polishing it less and trying to crowbar in perhaps the most unique race so far in the Ogre Kingdoms. They definitely need a full DLC of their own.

Gunmonkey wrote: »

I've a Wulfrik campaign in progress and, frankly it's quite boring. A shame given that Norsca is quite an appealing faction IMO but you're just destroying stuff and the global recruitment mechanic is broken for them.

I'd forgotten about them to be honest. They need a rework almost as badly as the Beastmen.

I've been having a go at Clan Eshin again and finally wanting to play it through to the end.

QsoUTDp.png

Gutter Runner stats really are ludicrous.

They're like the best skirmish cav in the game.
    The slingers and Death Runners are pretty strong too, and my goon squad of Sniktch and 2 Assassins will demolish any single entity in about 5 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

They really are excellent. Particularly like the Last Defenders one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

On the Grom campaign I missed sacking the Dwarf settlement in the first five turns so I’m missing a recipe also completely missed putting the shrunken head on the hag which gives a golem summon from the start of the campaign. I feel like they highlight the wrong things sometimes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement