Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warhammer: Total War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Juts got this the other day, enjoyable so far but my mouse wheel is goosed so I'll need to fix that before I play on, mouse wheel makes real time combat much easier than keyboard camera controls. Have to say, it's a lush looking game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Cormac... wrote: »
    Juts got this the other day, enjoyable so far but my mouse wheel is goosed so I'll need to fix that before I play on, mouse wheel makes real time combat much easier than keyboard camera controls. Have to say, it's a lush looking game :)

I uninstalled it last night. Have 170 hours played since launch :eek: :(

I'll reinstall when they get a High Elves DLC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

eeguy wrote: »
    I uninstalled it last night. Have 170 hours played since launch :eek: :(

I'll reinstall when they get a High Elves DLC

December 8th ^^

December 8th ^^

That's wood elves.

High Elves is unannounced so far. Probably a while away if at all. They'd have to add a new continent to the map.

Sorry yeah, my bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

Just downloaded this...have to admit I'm really enjoying it.

Playing with the dwarfs and slapping the heads off orkz has never been so much fun. Use to play the tabletop game when I was younger but have forgotten pretty much everything about it ( yes it was that long ago :) )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is quite a solid TW instalment by the sounds of things. Looks like things have improved since Rome 2.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's a massive improvement over Rome 2 and a lot better optimized than Attila. CA have really improved in the PR department as well. They have more interaction with the community and have been adding free LC alongside the paid stuff. Even the paid stuff is better this time around with having better content.

I hope all this carries over to the next historical title too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's a massive improvement over Rome 2 and a lot better optimized than Attila. CA have really improved in the PR department as well. They have more interaction with the community and have been adding free LC alongside the paid stuff. Even the paid stuff is better this time around with having better content.

I hope all this carries over to the next historical title too.

Bit harder in the historical setting, elves et al are a much more interesting faction than some germanic tribe no one ever heard of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hoping to sort out my own PC soon so might look into this. Originally wrote it off because of Rome 2 and that it's on Warscape. It's an interesting move for the series and it'd be awesome if they can continue this way with other fantasy franchises.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

They've announced recently they're in development of a new historical TW game, which wont be a sequel or set in any of the previous timeframes.

So, not Shogun, not the Crusades, not Rome, not the Napoleonic wars, not Rome again, not the American War of independence etc...

Could easily be set in the 20th century, i hope it is, because they can easily get flying right if Warhammer is anything to go by.
    Plus Airfields and Extremely heavy artillery (Bertha's & Naval) can be offmap, just like in Shogun 2.
    Historical Team – Unannounced Total War Title
    Pre-production for our next historical major release continues apace, with the team working on pretty much all areas of the game at this stage, but particularly jaw-dropping are the character and campaign map concepts that are starting to crop up around the studio with increasing frequency.

It will still be some time before we are able to share anything specific about our next big historical game. The official social media channels, and the world’s press will certainly tell you when there’s more to reveal.
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/183522/what-the-total-war-teams-are-working-on-updated-1st-september-2016

Chinese warring state period would be an alternative.

Obviously that'd allow them to make serious inroads into china itself.

Whichever it is, i cant see them doing a ROME II again, if they stick with the WH way of things i'd say it'll be very successful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Could be the American Civil War either.

Yeah, could be, Empire didn't cover that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Lads do you think my laptop could play this, I'd be quite happy to play it on low settings

i7
    8gb
    And radeon hd 7670m

Google says the graphics card is fairly basic, do you think I'd manage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Victorian Colonial times? Rorkes drift vs Zulus, Boxer rebellion in China, lead up to WW1?

Or prehistoric? You've researcherd Heavy Infantry. Instead of just randomly throwing rocks at each other, they sharpen a few stones and tie them to a stick.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Lads do you think my laptop could play this, I'd be quite happy to play it on low settings

i7
    8gb
    And radeon hd 7670m

MINIMUM:
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
    Memory: 3 GB RAM
    Graphics: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon HD 5770 1024MB | NVIDIA GTS 450 1024MB | Intel HD4000 @720P
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 35 GB available space
    Additional Notes: *PC Integrated graphics chipsets require 4 GB RAM, e.g. Intel HD series.

Thems the minimum specs, you might get it to run on less, but they cant guarantee that it'll work.

TW is a total CPU hog. I have a top-class rig and I still only get 40-ish fps due to the processor getting nailed. Great game though, but it's resource intensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

i7
    8gb
    And radeon hd 7670m

With that graphics card I wouldnt be so sure. I've a similar laptop but with a 740M and can only just about manage the game on low settings.

Okay thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Hi,

Big fan of the Warhammer universe so I was thinking of getting this while its on sale, but have a few questions

Whats the learning curve like ?
    Is it easy to pick up for someone who's never played a Total War game ?
    How long do battles usually last ? I usually only game for an hour or so in the evenings, get a couple of hours in the odd weekend.

How is it likely to run on this ?
    I5 4460, GTX 960 2gb and installed on an SSD

will56 wrote: »
    Hi,

Big fan of the Warhammer universe so I was thinking of getting this while its on sale, but have a few questions

Whats the learning curve like ?
    Is it easy to pick up for someone who's never played a Total War game ?
    How long do battles usually last ? I usually only game for an hour or so in the evenings, get a couple of hours in the odd weekend.

How is it likely to run on this ?
    I5 4460, GTX 960 2gb and installed on an SSD

learning curve is easy enough if you've played TW before, if not there are tutorials and various difficulties.

Battles can be set to last a minimum of 20mins, but they rarely take more than 10-15 minutes in the solo campaign.

Try the following website to see if you can run it
    type in or copy the following Total War: WARHAMMER
    paste and click "can you run it". presto.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

it says i meet the minimum requirements :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The GW stores have a stack of the Grombrindl DLC cards to give out for free to anyone who asks.

• Advertisement

it says i meet the minimum requirements :)

It's actually testing off Intel graphic rather than the radeon card so should be above minimum I hope

Just noticed a new series of Time Commanders is on bbc4 at 9 o'clock.

Basically a Total War game show, it has 2 teams fighting each other with Gregg Wallace (Master Chef host) shouting at them

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2016-12-12-time-commanders-is-back-on-the-telly-tonight-at-9pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's actually testing off Intel graphic rather than the radeon card so should be above minimum I hope

The 7670M is very low end so I think if the poster above said he can barely run it on a GT740M (a lot faster than 7670M) I don't think it would be a great experience overall.

The 7670M is very low end so I think if the poster above said he can barely run it on a GT740M (a lot faster than 7670M) I don't think it would be a great experience overall.

Aye. Gonna wait until it's cheap. Just got civ 5 having never played one before so ill be nicely distracted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

So I got a spare Steam DLC code up for grabs for the White Dwarf Lord character.

You must have the game in your steam library so first PM with his real name and your steam name gets it :D

Edit

Grats to Pablomakaveli on the code :)

• Advertisement

Makes sense giving him away as the magazine is hitting the 40 years old mark :)

12e in the humble monthy thing, the wait has paid off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Can anyone get this game to run at anything over 60FPS? Even on the lowest settings the frame rate is very inconsistent. According to steam i have spent 2 hours playing this game and those 2 hours where pretty much spent trying to get it to run at 60+

The only mission i can run on max settings, 60FPS is the Dwarf tutorial one. The Human and Undead Lords tutorial are 35-40 even on lowest settings. The overworld turnbased map even has stutter, i just don't get it...

i5 6600
    GTX1070
    16GB RAM

Can anyone get this game to run at anything over 60FPS? Even on the lowest settings the frame rate is very inconsistent.

From what I gather it's not the graphics card that's getting a hiding, but the CPU. Given the number of units on screen, it just takes a kicking.

I've a GTX 1080 and only get about 40 fps in large battles. I'm ok with that, admittedly, but it would point to the CPU being the problem perhaps.

From what I gather it's not the graphics card that's getting a hiding, but the CPU. Given the number of units on screen, it just takes a kicking.

I've a GTX 1080 and only get about 40 fps in large battles. I'm ok with that, admittedly, but it would point to the CPU being the problem perhaps.

Got a 1060 and a top end i7 in laptop and get over 50 but have it locked to 30 now.

12e in the humble monthy thing, the wait has paid off!

Thanks for that tip off, I've been loitering in this thread, continually tempted but couldn't resist at that price (also been very curious about the whole Humble Bundle thing too, so perfect introduction)

So game got...

And now after reading the last few posts it probably wont run on my yoke anyway...:)

It just about runs on mine, looks more like Rome rw but it'll get me started anyway

Bought the game off humble before the monthly bundle so bit pissed about that and only a week before.

Currently in a good position with the empire, Chaos only pushing in now and Kiev is still strong. My empire is a bit spread, and a load of people have stop their now aggression treaties with me (some of the western dwarves and some empire who i was going to start a war with if I didn't confederate). Have 1 army finishing off 1 human faction and going after the vampires (the east side ones), and 2 against some of the northern northern factions who're getting hit heavy from Chaos/Norsca

Just have to deal with an elf invasion with 3 stacks with an army I've not built yet, before it destroys me as I'm still not used to fighting any of the non-human races.

After I get a good game out of the empire I'll try dwarves, and hope for a DLC sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just could not say no to this months bundle due to Warhammer. I kept putting away buying it until price drops and with monthly bundle I just cant see going wrong at all. Considering last months bundle was fantastic too.

Downloading it now, got only 2 days left before going back to work after holidays. Time will be well spent. :) WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

• Advertisement

Pretty much the opposite of the end of shogun, everyone suddenly likes each other when chaos shows up.
    Met a faction and and them my vassal in the same turn with the buff.

Bretonnia getting added as free playable race this month :)

https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-warhammer/total-war-warhammer-bretonnia-release-date

So I finally gave it a wee go the other day. I never properly played any of total war games before, but own almost all of them...
    First things first, I am very overwhelmed at the moment. Battles themselves easy enough, but whole map world is just has too much stuff going on. To make it worse its not tiled like most turn based strategy games I play.
    Me playing as orcs does not help!
    I am watching some guide seires on YouTube now and hopefully I will learn how to play propelry. Warhammer setting just does it for me and has biggest apeal to me out of all totalwar games.

Me playing as orcs does not help!

You picked a hard enough starting race, that's for sure.

Started as Dwarf myself, after a quick dabble with Empire, but first proper campaign was with the stunties. They're far more forgiving (once you get over the initial Orc Waaagh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Started as Dwarf myself, after a quick dabble with Empire, but first proper campaign was with the stunties. They're far more forgiving (once you get over the initial Orc Waaagh).

Agreed, all that firepower really helps soften up armies before they make it to melee :D

will56 wrote: »
    Agreed, all that firepower really helps soften up armies before they make it to melee :D

Nothing compared to the joy of rolling through wood elves with an all steam tank army.

Everyone those trees flee I shoot them down and advance.

Thats what I did today after trying one more time with orcs. I LOVE ORCS in warhammer universe, but **** they are hard to play. Started with dwarf and omg how much easier they are!
    Did some conquest, did some diplomacy and I feel a lot more safer if it makes any sense.

With orcs you have to manage so much and constantly kicking someones arse. You spread out so much and have waaaay to many fronts. I will come back to them when I learn proper basics.

• Advertisement

Thats what I did today after trying one more time with orcs. I LOVE ORCS in warhammer universe, but **** they are hard to play. Started with dwarf and omg how much easier they are!
    Did some conquest, did some diplomacy and I feel a lot more safer if it makes any sense.

With orcs you have to manage so much and constantly kicking someones arse. You spread out so much and have waaaay to many fronts. I will come back to them when I learn proper basics.

The best way to play with Orcs is to move south to the edge of the map, build up a decent army stack, then move north to kill dwarves The dwarves are rock hard early in the game, with thunderers and siege weapons, so best avoided till you can roll over them with boars and buff your armies with magic

You don't have to worry about the south until the chaos hordes come.

Advertisement