Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car stolen- Question

• 14-01-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭

Car was stolen from outside house this morning.

Wife, opened car to put some stuff in, started it to clear frozen windows, went back into house to get baby, came back out and car gone.

Rang insurance company and someone is to ring me back.

Are insurance likely to pay out as keys were in car?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

TRS30 wrote: »

Wife, opened car to put some stuff in, started it to clear frozen windows, went back into house to get baby, came back out and car gone.

Unfortunately I think you are in big trouble.

Thread on this a while back, there is usually a clause excluding theft when keys are left in the vehicle unattended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thats dreadful. Did you contact the Gards and let them know that your car has been stolen. Hopefully you get it back in the same condition it was in and no damage or harm done to it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Could very well be bad news for you I'm afraid. I hope not, but I wouldn't be confident.

Such a sh1tty thing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Unfortunately I think you are in big trouble.

Thread on this a while back, there is usually a clause excluding theft when keys are left in the vehicle unattended.

Thought as much.

Not like it was left running in the middle of a car park was outside the house, however I'm sure they wouldn't see it like that.

Not the lying type so will just tell the truth and hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Report it straight to the cops.

My car was stolen twice and I got it back.

Keep the fate

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Thats dreadful. Did you contact the Gards and let them know that your car has been stolen. Hopefully you get it back in the same condition it was in and no damage or harm done to it.

Wife rang guards and they have been round already. Happened to two other cars in the estate this morning as well.
    JPF82 wrote: »
    Could very well be bad news for you I'm afraid. I hope not, but I wouldn't be confident.

Such a sh1tty thing to happen.

Yea wife is still in a bit of shock, just luck she didnt have munskin in the car and ran in to grab something!
    Report it straight to the cops.

My car was stolen twice and I got it back.

Keep the fate

Thanks will stay positive till talk to insurance company.

I hope you get the car back intact and soon without the need for insurance claim. Pretty bad thing to happen.

How many of us do the same thing on frosty mornings! Luckily a lot of the new cars have the start button, so the keys stay in your pocket and the thieves wouldn't get too far.

Thought as much.

Not like it was left running in the middle of a car park was outside the house, however I'm sure they wouldn't see it like that.

Not the lying type so will just tell the truth and hope!

Might be worth checking the small print of your policy before they contact you back.

Hope you get the car returned intact. Terrible to think there's scumbags waiting around for this exact thing to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Posts encouraging insurance fraud removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

biko wrote: »
    Posts encouraging insurance fraud removed

Excellent work.
    Support the thief
    Bankrupt the innocent householder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Agreed with the others - chances are insurance wise you're in trouble as most insurances companies have a clause saying if the car is unlocked / the keys are left in the vehicle you won't be covered. I know it's a cold time of year and people are gong out to warm cars up early, but you make it too easy for thieves.

Hope you get the car back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

mickdw wrote: »
    Excellent work.
    Support the thief

On the other hand - Insurance fraud raises the cost of insurance for the rest of us - So i for one would not advocate for anyone to commit insurance fraud.

Hope the OP gets his car back - was there much petrol in it? If not you will more than likely find it abandoned not too far away.

Excellent work.
    Support the thief

Of course the suggestion proposed would also involve lying to the Guards.

Would almost certainly make a bad situation even worse once the truth is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

How is this still happening?

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    On the other hand - Insurance fraud raises the cost of insurance for the rest of us - So i for one would not advocate for anyone to commit insurance fraud.

In fairness, it's not like the OP put a blanket over the car and is now pretended it's gone. It was stolen. I think insurance companies should pay out in these circumstances, personally.

In fairness, it's not like the OP put a blanket over the car and is now pretended it's gone. It was stolen. I think insurance companies should pay out in these circumstances, personally.

Insurance premiums are lower because modern cars are difficult to steal, if they pay out in these circumstances everybody's premium goes up because some people are bypassing all antitheft mechanisms.
    I don't think I should have to pay more because some people are doing this, it's not going to stop, it's been happening for years and years and people don't learn, I don't see why I should have to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Did not mean that at all - my comment was that the Moderator had removed comments where posters were giving tips on what to tell the insurance company in order to ensure he was covered. I did not for a second doubt what the OP had posted. Sorry if i came across that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Nino Brown wrote: »
    How is this still happening?

Because people are leaving cars running in drive ways. Not only open, but keys in and the car running. If you are that concerned about the frosty windows, fit a remote start kit or a kill kit so you can remove the key and leave the car running. Its common across the police forces and is a simple fit. Otherwise, a gate across the drive or lock the car. Its simple.

And I don't feel, no offense OP, that insurance should cover this type of thing. Even when I'm at the airport (One of the more 'secure' places in the country) and step out at the drop off to remove a bag from the boot, the keys come with me. You don't leave your front door open, why do the same with your car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Op would you put the car make, model, colour, reg and location up with photos if you have any.

Many a car have been located with the help of boards members when the car is parked up somewhere.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Because people are leaving cars running in drive ways. Not only open, but keys in and the car running. If you are that concerned about the frosty windows, fit a remote start kit or a kill kit so you can remove the key and leave the car running. Its common across the police forces and is a simple fit. Otherwise, a gate across the drive or lock the car. Its simple.

I stand to be corrected in this, but I thought they were illegal in manual cars. But yeah, leaving your keys in the car and walking away is like leaving few grand on your on your front lawn, and then complaining that somebody stole it.
    It would be great if we lived in a world with no thieves, but unfortunately we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Very sorry OP,

Yeah there was a thread like this a while back , insurance company will most likely not pay out because the keys were left in the car. It's a big no no, they hang around estates in the mornings waiting for people to do this.

Appreciate all the replies.

As tempting as it might be, we will not be lying to the insurance company.

I will update once I speak to insurance company.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a terrible thing to have a car stolen from outside your house, but leaving it running and unattended means any insurance claim will unfortunately be refuted.

With a bit of luck you'll recover it undamaged.

pippip wrote: »
    Op would you put the car make, model, colour, reg and location up with photos if you have any.

Many a car have been located with the help of boards members when the car is parked up somewhere.

Is a 2007 silver Ford Focus Ghia, stolen from outside house in Swords.

Reg is 07-D-870xx

Will look for some photos- is a standard car not really worth stealing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

It happened to another poster on here from Swords a few weeks ago! People of Swords stop running your car in the driveway!,
    The other poster found his car on Donedeal if I remember right, the Gardai at the time said it had happened before aswell there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Reg is 07-D-870xx

Horrible thing to happen, hope it turns up and also I hope your insurance company looks after you should it not. Whatever way you look at it, the car was stolen, just because the keys were in it, that does not make theft right, just or deserved.

I start mine for a few minutes every morning before I leave so I can sympathise and understand, but I lock it with the second key, (and also have another anti theft mechanism in it - well more of an anti-thief mechanism should they get into it)

Post up your full reg, no need to hide it, more info out there the better. I hope it's found.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Seems to be an epidemic of this in swords at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

bladebrew wrote: »
    It happened to another poster on here from Swords a few weeks ago! People of Swords stop running your car in the driveway!,
    The other poster found his car on Donedeal if I remember right, the Gardai at the time said it had happened before aswell there!

My car was stolen a few weeks back. Fished the keys through the letterbox.
    I am in Swords as well and it is rampant at the moment. Anyway to cut a long story short, it was sold on done deal and I got it back.There were false reg plates and false NCT docs etc on the car. Hopefully you will have the same outcome. I sat in the car for 10 minutes this morning freezing my nuts off de-icing and heating it up

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Has happened in our estate last year in swords, cars and a van full of tools. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

withany luck it was someone looking for a ride to town and it'll be found in one piece

A number of people on our road do the same thing. I'm going to go round to all of them tonight and warn them.

Still no call from insurance company. Will give them another hour and then call again, like to know one way or the other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Sorry this happened to you OP. Can't leave anything for a minute these days can you? What are the Gardai doing about this? Probably f**k all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

dutopia wrote: »
    Sorry this happened to you OP. Can't leave anything for a minute these days can you? What are the Gardai doing about this? Probably f**k all.

Leave the Gards alone, I'm sure they will do as much looking for these thieves as they will for any stolen car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Reg is 07-D-870xx

May I suggest it could be worth putting this in Dublin County North Forum also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Excellent work.
    Support the thief

How is the householder innocent ?
    Car was left with keys in ?

I am sure if you leave your house wide open and go out, you will expect zilch from insurance company

• Advertisement

dutopia wrote: »

In fairness they arrived quite quickly after my wife called them and did as much as you would expect them to be able to do. Left a name and phone number to call so guess can call them for a follow if needs be.
    ryanf1 wrote: »
    May I suggest it could be worth putting this in Dublin County North Forum also?

Thanks, will do. Such a common car and colour with no noticeable features so be hard for people to spot.

free_man wrote: »

I am sure if you leave your house wide open and go out, you will expect zilch from insurance company

Householder didn't steal the car. They are innocent.

If that's the case everyone should expect everything to be stolen all of the time. Serves them right for owning stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

free_man wrote: »

Username says it all really.
    so the householder committed a crime did they?
    And the thief had every right to take it just cause he could?

Cheensbo wrote: »

Innocent, yes. But also negligent. Negligent to the point that the crime would not have been committed had it not been for the negligence of the owner. The thieves just wait around hoping for somebody to leave a car running an unattended, if nobody does they go home empty handed. It's essentially disabling all anti theft mechanisms and handing it to them on a plate.

BTW way OP I'm not directing this at you specifically, I'm talking about this problem in general, sorry to hear about your car. We had a stolen car abandoned in our apartment car park recently, fully intact, so hopefully you get lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Cheensbo wrote: »

If that's the case everyone should expect everything to be stolen all of the time. Serves them right for owning stuff.

The householder isn't innocent if they commit insurance fraud!

Would you leave 5 grand in cash unattended? Yet its acceptable to leave 5 grand's (ballpark for an 8 yr old Focus) worth of car, engine running?

Nobody's defending the theif, but you need to give yourself half a chance.

Sorry for your loss OP, but it happens too often to come as a surprise.

• Advertisement

Rang insurance company, not looking good, they are to ring me back.

Looks like a very expensive €7K, day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I read a thread here with exactly the same thing happening, someone is Swords I believe. I think the insurance would not cover it as in there eyes you invited it to be stolen.

cjt156 wrote: »
    The householder isn't innocent if they commit insurance fraud!

Would you leave 5 grand in cash unattended? Yet its acceptable to leave 5 grand's (ballpark for an 8 yr old Focus) worth of car, engine running?

Nobody's defending the theif, but you need to give yourself half a chance.

Sorry for your loss OP, but it happens too often to come as a surprise.

Where did you get insurance fraud from?? :confused:

You do need to give yourself a chance yes, and its a silly and probably very costly oversight/mistake, but the fact is the op is down a car, and probably without insurance payout, all because some theif stole it. The theif is at fault, not the op.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I read a thread here with exactly the same thing happening, someone is Swords I believe. I think the insurance would not cover it as in there eyes you invited it to be stolen.

He got his car back found it on dondeal, think it was a focus too

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

I genuinely believe the insurance company should pay out on this case. It's not as if the car was left running for hours in a random place. It was outside the persons house. The bottom line is that some person has made a conscious decision to steal someone else's property and commit a criminal offence ( the same offence committed whether keys are present or not). It shouldn't matter if the keys were in it or not. I heard of a similar story recently on a house break-in where the insurance company are causing problems as the alarm was not activated when the theft occurred. At the end of the day, someone in this case made a decision to break a rear door and take a load items. The house was fully locked otherwise. I suspect the small print allow them to do this but it does not seem to be moral to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sorry to hear of this OP, will be common now with the cold weather.

Was the VLC (logbook) left in the car? Could be worth looking at Donedeal, Adverts etc if they try to sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I genuinely believe the insurance company should pay out on this case. It's not as if the car was left running for hours in a random place. It was outside the persons house. The bottom line is that some person has made a conscious decision to steal someone else's property and commit a criminal offence ( the same offence committed whether keys are present or not). It shouldn't matter if the keys were in it or not.

Doing 90% of the work for the thief doesn't go down well with insurers for some reason.

Username says it all really.
    so the householder committed a crime did they?
    And the thief had every right to take it just cause he could?

As others have said, the OP was negligent and paid the highest price.
    I hope OP gets back his car in the end.

But am surprised that ppl think insurance company should pay out.

For one, if you leave 5K on your door step after taking them out of bank and they are stolen, do you expect the bank to pay you back.

For other, if insurance company pays out, this negligence will only increase.

If you leave car open with keys in, you have only yourself to blame.

I genuinely believe the insurance company should pay out on this case. It's not as if the car was left running for hours in a random place. It was outside the persons house. The bottom line is that some person has made a conscious decision to steal someone else's property and commit a criminal offence ( the same offence committed whether keys are present or not). It shouldn't matter if the keys were in it or not. I heard of a similar story recently on a house break-in where the insurance company are causing problems as the alarm was not activated when the theft occurred. At the end of the day, someone in this case made a decision to break a rear door and take a load items. The house was fully locked otherwise. I suspect the small print allow them to do this but it does not seem to be moral to me.

Your example say it all. The house was locked but was broken in. So insurance company needs to pay, alarm or not. Would you expect insurance company to pay if main door to house was left wide open.

In case of OP, the car was left wide open. Hence insurance company doesn't have to pay.

Rang insurance company, not looking good, they are to ring me back.

Looks like a very expensive €7K, day!

If VLC was in the car, check donedeal or adverts.ie. It might turn up there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement