Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda Bin Charges

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭newdigi

i put out my black waste bin 10 times last year at a cost of €8.70 per lift.

looking at the weights of those bins, the same bins would have cost me €19 per lift based on the new charges.

ok we have a fair bit of nappy waste in those bins and once nappies are gone i would hope to reduce the weight and number of lifts.

Not gonna help the explosion of maggots/flies though at this time of year with people not putting out their bins as often. Particularly the brown bins.

In my area, we have no competition. So it's a monopoly. If Panda are allowed to take over Greenstar, then many areas of NCD will have no competition.

Well done government yet again on rushing through legislation without much thought. And well done waste companies for taking full advantage of this legislation to ramp up the charges by 100% or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Time to fight back against these corporate monsters, simply stop dealing with them, start blocking them from entering estates, block their depos till they realise we are sick of been screwed over in this country

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

cowzerp wrote: »
    Time to fight back against these corporate monsters, simply stop dealing with them, start blocking them from entering estates, block their depos till they realise we are sick of been screwed over in this country

and we,ll all just live in rotting waste and stinky estates and roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Mr Coveney say's on the radio this morning that he will not tolerate waste companies abusing the new legislation - that's ok then , another bit of waffle and absolutely nothing about what he's going to do about it before going on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Just me calculationing so I could be completely wrong.

You need to put out over 23kg of compost waste to make it worthwhile just dumping it into your black bin.
    Can somebody check these figures

from previous posts
    27c is black bin per kg charge
    16c is the brown bin per kg charge
    2.56 is the brown bin lift charge or 256c

27x = 256 + 16x where x is the amount of compost waste in kg
    (27-16)x = 256
    x = 256/11 = 23.27kg is where the cost of the brown bin lift plus per kg charge equals the cost of disposing it into the black bin

off to buy a compost bin and meat scraps going into the cat or the black bin

• Advertisement

jwwb wrote: »
    Just me calculationing so I could be completely wrong.

You need to put out over 23kg of compost waste to make it worthwhile just dumping it into your black bin.
    Can somebody check these figures

from previous posts
    27c is black bin per kg charge
    16c is the brown bin per kg charge
    2.56 is the brown bin lift charge or 256c

27x = 256 + 16x where x is the amount of compost waste in kg
    (27-16)x = 256
    x = 256/11 = 23.27kg is where the cost of the brown bin lift plus per kg charge equals the cost of disposing it into the black bin

off to buy a compost bin and meat scraps going into the cat or the black bin

rough calculations and estimations

we put our brown bin out every two weeks. During the summer it,d be full with kitchen waste and garden cuttings, during the winter mainly kitchen waste so weights may average out over the year at 20kg lets say

20kg X .16cent = 3.20 + 2.56 = 5.76 every two weeks. Put it out 24 times a year at 5.76 = €138.24

black bin out 10 times a year full at approx 100kg
    100kg x .277 cent = 27.7 + 3.20 lift charge = 30.90 x 10 = €309

total bin charges for year €447.24 + €86 service charge = €533.24

current charges would be €110 service charge + 10 bin tags €95 = €205

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

neris wrote: »
    and we,ll all just live in rotting waste and stinky estates and roads?

There's a good chance of that happening, and that scares me. People who can't afford to or refuse to pay the new rates (the water rates objectors being a recent example), will just let their rubbish pile up :eek:

I'm not saying that the higher rates are fair because they're not, but that's what will probably happen.

There's a good chance of that happening, and that scares me. People who can't afford to or refuse to pay the new rates (the water rates objectors being a recent example), will just let their rubbish pile up :eek:

I'm not saying that the higher rates are fair because they're not, but that's what will probably happen.

dont think they,ll be letting their rubbish pile up in NCD, theres plenty of quiet little country roads and ditches for them to dump their stuff in. See enough of it cycling around, this being one example from Sunday outside the driveway of a house down a quiet turn off on the R130

20160612_153705.jpg

Someone regularly fly tip's up by the old Milverton Cemetery at least once a month ,that's leaving out the shopping bag's of waste left lying around by a lot of people that obviously would not paid the existing charges,let alone the new one's.
    As a women on Liveline said yesterday she could not recycle her waste any more than she did and has been recycling for 25 year's ,absolutely nothing to do about recycling , waste management ,it's pure unadulterated profiteering.
    Going on Neris's figures above mine at present would be €110 service charge + 3 bin tags €38 = €148
    post July = €273.90 ,a difference of €125 euro's,and because we recycle everything they are worst case figure's for us.
    As some one said on the radio it will be families ,the old and the sick will be the worst affected along with the environment.
    I reckon the desk jockey's that pollute the quango's and government department's must lie awake at night coming up with these hair brained idea's,you would think after Irish Water the moron's would have learned or copped on,all I can say is only in this country.

Well Mr Coveney pull's the usual quick fix or so he think's , according to the media, he's going to freeze or cap the bin charges for 12 month's - Big deal,are we supposed to fall over and forget all about it.
    Why has't he sorted it properly and put the waste companies in their place and while he was at it call in the revenue to investigate their account's and all this off shore accounts business stuff.
    He should also be asking himself who actually regulate's this industry because their seem's to be absolutely no control or regulation of this sector at all.
    FG would be foolish in the extreme if they think this is going to go away,just like the Irish Water debacle,they think they have kicked the can down the road a few month's and that it will all be forgotten about by the time they come back from their holiday's ,if they sincerely think that - they may well find that this issue will be a thousand time's more toxic than Irish Water.
    One thing is certain,as a pensioner on the RTE news said the other night,it won't just be the rubbish ,getting throwen over the garden gate in to the road but his FG vote along with it.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/coveney-is-set-to-freeze-bin-charges-34813624.htmla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭is this username available

Worked out my bin charges for the last month (Panda) and where I would have previously paid €18.50 it will cost approximately €45 with pay by weight.

Illegal dumping is already an issue in NCD and a constant problem on our road. I hope Fingal CC are increasing capacity to clean up the (even greater) dumping problem that we are going to have from next month.

Alan Kelly is some fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Example of Germany's rubbish solution. Germany produces 30 million tons of garbage annually. The Green Dot system has been one of the most successful recycling initiatives, which has literally put packaging on a diet. The crux is that manufacturers and retailers have to pay for a "Green Dot" on products: the more packaging there is, the higher the fee. This clever system has led to less paper, thinner glass and less metal being used, thus creating less garbage to be recycled. The net result: a drastic decline of about one million tons less garbage than normal every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

horse7 wrote: »
    Example of Germany's rubbish solution. Germany produces 30 million tons of garbage annually. The Green Dot system has been one of the most successful recycling initiatives, which has literally put packaging on a diet. The crux is that manufacturers and retailers have to pay for a "Green Dot" on products: the more packaging there is, the higher the fee. This clever system has led to less paper, thinner glass and less metal being used, thus creating less garbage to be recycled. The net result: a drastic decline of about one million tons less garbage than normal every year.

That however does not mean it's cheaper to have the rest collected.

No,but there should be less to collect. Look at the amount of packagings with most of groceries that are bought.

Simon Coveney has just been on the 6/1 news ,some waffle about 12 months and voluntary nonsense and a ''transitory period of charge's'' ,whatever about Alan Kelly,this lad need's to get his finger out.
    Talk of ''first or second level'' legislation that may be required - where do they get this nonsense from,in fairness to Alan Kelly he was supposed to have told the companies that he would''crucify'' them if they tried this carry on with customer's,now that would have been a new departure for a government minister.
    Also let us not forget this shower wanted to charge for emptying the green bin as well - at the end of the RTE interview we are no wiser,it was all spin,as I said above Mr Coveney need's to get his finger out - 12 month's and all this ''transitory'' talk - just does not wash.

No,but there should be less to collect. Look at the amount of packagings with most of groceries that are bought.

Most of that packaging is either cardboard or plastic aswell and dont think ive ever seen them as biodegradable or compostable.

Am I reading this wrong? Panda pride themselves on the following (taken from their website):
    Panda wrote:
    Zero landfill:
    When waste sits in landfills it leaks methane and other gases which are harmful to the environment. We don’t believe that it’s ethical to damage the environment in this way and for that reason we have a zero landfill policy.
    Your brown bin compost is treated, conditioned and shredded to be used as fertiliser for farms all over Ireland.
    Your non-recyclable waste material is used as a fuel source for the generation of electricity. This is the most sustainable way to dispose of general waste that cannot be recyled.

So if none of the waste goes to landfill but it used to make them money and be relatively good for the environment, then why are they/we being charged by weight to reduce the amount going to landfill?

So panda have frozen bin charges for a year. I just use green and brown bin. Panda put a note on my bin to say they will not lift any bin unless I put money into a bin account. Does this still apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

So panda have frozen bin charges for a year. I just use green and brown bin. Panda put a note on my bin to say they will not lift any bin unless I put money into a bin account. Does this still apply?

If you sign up direct debit then you wont be charged anything till you put out the general bin.

You could get a payg card but you may have to preload the credit to it which you may not use.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Anyone hear anything from green star about the freeze? I know it's going ahead, but given how uncommunicative they are it would be nice to get something from them.
    With the pay by weight I would end up paying 100 for what cost 56 for 3 months. :( before VAT and their "fuel surcharge"

• Advertisement

Listening to Liveline today ,Minister Coveney should resign,because this nonsense that price's were frozen and nothing would change for 12 month's is a load of unrecyclable tosh,people are going to be fleeced from tomorrow.
    Just like Irish Water -- more pontificating ,hand wringing ,the can being kicked down the road.
    Just like the charity ''regulator'' this whole government is about as useful as an ash tray on a motor bike.
    2016 won't be remembered for the commemoration of 1916 - no , instead it will be remembered for being the wasted year - I was stopped in traffic on Dorset street today,looking at 6 obviously long boarded up city council flat's,we have got the reward's of a lousy political system in spades,just like Brexit across the way, a total shower of loser's leading the country - What exactly has any one of the shower of all parties in Dail Eireann done in the last 3 month's - after being on holiday for 3 month's if this is the best FF/FG can do ,God save us all -it is truly the lousiest government in the history of the state,and what's worse there's no decent replacement in sight,at least the football took our mind's off the whole sorry mess - I would not put it past this shower to tell Europe,we'll make up the 12% European budget contribution on behalf of the Brit's - it's a sad state of affair's.

I think this post/rant is for after hours forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you have a problem with - please use the Report Post function & let a mod decide.

Thanks.

tHB

I'm sorry if the post above come's across as a rant , but like Irish Water , the issue's involved were foreseen and the government elected to ignore the public and all the concern's that were high lighted from the outset - Alan Kelly said when he signed the legislation in to law ,that if the waste companies did't play fair he ''would come down on them like a house of brick's'' ,yep that has happened all right and as usual Joe Public will pay - and keep on paying through the nose even if you only put out only one bin a year and have award's for recycling your household waste - the way things stand - the less you pollute and create waste the more you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I got the following email, yesterday from Panda, ( as did most of you I presume )
    Dear Panda Customer,

Following the recent announcement by Minister Coveney we will not be introducing our pay by weight pricing structure for a further 12 months and will be maintaining our existing pricing structure with you until then.

From 1st January 2017 we will provide you with dual pricing so you can see the effect a pay by weight pricing structure will have on your waste collection cost. This will give you an opportunity to review your weights and bin presentation habits before the mandatory implementation of Pay-By-Weight from 1st July 2017.

First, they are maintaining the existing price structure.
    This is good for me as I do not pay the annual charge, as we are down a country lane, serviced by a ''Lone Ranger '' truck, and have no Brown Bin

Giving me updates from Jan, as to how my charges would look under Pay by Weight will be interesting

Finally, the reference to '' mandatory implimentation'' from 1st July 2017.
    I may be wrong here, but I thought Coveney said all would be reviewed before the July date, how is it now a mandatory implimentation.

martinn123 wrote: »

Giving me updates from Jan, as to how my charges would look under Pay by Weight will be interesting

If you have access to your Panda account online you can already see the weights of all your bins going back over a year and a half. With those you can work out what you will be paying.

In my case, it is a 130% increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My highest was 42KG for a brown bin but you could probably get close to 50KG
    In April 2015 my brown bin was 75kgs!

Sorry to drag the thread up agin, but anyone else get the notification from greenstar about transferring everyone to greyhound?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Ginny wrote: »
    Sorry to drag the thread up agin, but anyone else get the notification from greenstar about transferring everyone to greyhound?

That is part of the takeover of "Greenstar" by Panda:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057561899

• Advertisement

Why aren't they moving us to Panda instead of greyhound?

Advertisement