Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party wall vs boundary wall

Options
  • 14-01-2015 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm just checking in to see if anyone has a concise explanation for the distinction between a party wall and a boundary wall. I'll be off researching this myself, but someone here may have some pointers.

To put it in context, it's from correspondence between two solicitors where one says a wall is a boundary wall but not a party wall. There's the usual legalese notwithstanding items heretofore mentioned in your of 3rd inst, etc . . . . which all serves to obfuscate what the actual point is.

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

My understanding would be a simplistic view ..

Boundary Wall = Boundary of your site
    Party wall = Joint ownership of the wall (generally applicable to semi-D houses etc). A party wall is built astride the boundary line.

A boundary wall does not have to be a party wall if it was built entirely on your side of the boundary line. whereas a party wall does have to be a boundary wall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

My understanding is boundary wall is builth on the boundary. Thereby shared. Party wall is owned entirely by one party as its builth on their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that in construction, a party wall is any wall between two parties, in particular those within a building, e.g. a semi-d or terrace.

Solicitors have a different definition. Take a look at this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057148477

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Party Wall : The wall inside your house that separates it from next door. Depending on construction type it will either be a solid block wall or a deep timber frame. Either way one should be careful drilling or cutting holes into this as it is effectively the fire separation between you and your neighbour. Part B of the Building Regulations prohibits cutting large opes into this wall.

Boundary Wall : Typically the wall in your garden that separates your land from next door. Could be in the form of a high wall out the back garden and both sides own 50%.

Advertisement