Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to cows milk

Options
  • 14-01-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

My little guy is One this Friday, so I am starting to think about moving his bottles to cows milk. He already has cows milk in his food, but his bottles are still formula.
    Is there a specific way of doing this, gradually faze out the formula by mixing the two so that after a while its just cows milk, or jump right in and switch to cows milk, the taste is going to be so different between the two so I know he will notice
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ☺

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I think I just gradually used bottles of milk instead of formula. So if he was having 3 bottles a day, 2 would be formula and then 1 was cows milk, then 2 were cows milk, 1 was formula and so on until I used up the tin of formula. As you said they are already getting cows milk in their food so if your son has no issue with milk then there should be no problems. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My little boy didn't like cows milk at first but I wanted to get him off formula. I started by making the bottles two thirds formula, one thirds cows milk for a few days, then gradually increased the quantity of cows milk in his bottles until it was 100% cows milk. It took about 2 weeks overall and worked a treat - he loves his milk now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I did the same as Woshy, if his bottle was 7oz then I had 6oz formula and 1oz cows milk and every three days I substituted an ounce of formula for cows milk, it took a couple of weeks but we had no issues at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I would say try swapping out one bottle of formula a day for cows milk and see if he'll take it ... our boy definitely noticed the difference, but was still happy to drink it. If that doesn't work and he won't take it at all, you could try swapping ounce by ounce as above, but a lot of babies don't mind the change in taste at all. If he's happy to drink the bottle of cows milk, and doesn't have any problems afterwards, it's just easier to swap out a full bottle at a time, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Is anyone using full fat super milk? I bought some today to try out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Millem wrote: »

Yep, I get it when I can.

kandr10 wrote: »
    Yep, I get it when I can.

Brill. I am going to give him that instead of buying the follow on formula ;)

I would check that the Vitamin A levels in it - only because that's the reason my GP told me not to use it when pregnant - she never mentioned anything about not giving it to babies though, so as long as it's full-fat, I don't see why not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I would check that the Vitamin A levels in it - only because that's the reason my GP told me not to use it when pregnant - she never mentioned anything about not giving it to babies though, so as long as it's full-fat, I don't see why not. :)

Ooh that's interesting never thought of that!

Really? It says it is fortified with vitamins b, d and e. There is no mention of vitamin a even on the nutritional info on the back.

Here is the info
    http://mymilkman.ie/popup-product.aspx?pd=10026

• Advertisement

Really? It says it is fortified with vitamins b, d and e. There is no mention of vitamin a even on the nutritional info on the back.

Here is the info
    http://mymilkman.ie/popup-product.aspx?pd=10026

That's mad, I never actually looked into it, but I'm pretty certain it was VitA she mentioned, as she said it was for the same reason as avoiding liver! (Not that I'd ever eaten liver anyways!) Or could it have been excessive iron? No iron mentioned there anyways, so probably not! :o

That's mad, I never actually looked into it, but I'm pretty certain it was VitA she mentioned, as she said it was for the same reason as avoiding liver! (Not that I'd ever eaten liver anyways!) Or could it have been excessive iron? No iron mentioned there anyways, so probably not! :o

I don't know maybe supermilk used to have a lot of vit a? I remember when I was in college it used to only be available in low fat form. I just checked the ingredients on my one in the fridge and there is no vit a added.
    The ingredients are; whole milk, calcium, vit d3,vit e, vit b2, folic acid and acidity regulators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Is there a vitamin supplement you can get for babies when you switch to cows milk? Our fella is turning 1 in a few weeks and even though he eats a good variety of solid food, I'd still worry that he wouldn't get all the vitamins he needs.

Advertisement